Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

cycle carriers for UX250h

In process of changing from ct200h to UX250h. I have a dealer fitted bike rack that was an option at time of purchase. It appears that this is not transferable to the new car. Anyone know of a rear fitting cycle carrier that is suitable for the UX?

• 1 month later...

I have a towbar mounted bike carrier on my UX. Towbar ref  RMC Brink B691800. Supplied by Dee Snyder-Carrier <Dee.Snyder-Carrier@novaleisure.com>

Who suggested a local contact for fitting. Cost overall was about £650, supplied and fitted.

This was the best solution for me. Had to add the cost of a suitable tow bar mounted rack - depends how many bikes to be carried. Overall it's quite an expensive project but, for me, worth it. Tried roof mounted cycle racks but found great difficulty lifting bikes on safely!!

Thanks Chris,

Already ruled out roof racks for the same reason. Will check out your recommendation, but may have found a suitable rear strap on rack. I'll wait until better weather and do further research.

• 1 month later...

Which hatch mounted rack are you looking at Keith? I've been researching them & was thinking maybe the Saris Bones EX 2-bike might work for my eMTB (55 lb Devinci AC), but can't find one locally (BC, Canada). TIA

Hi Scott,

I have researched the Saris Bones EX2, available from Halfords stores here in the UK. Halfords state that it is not suitable for the UX range.

My option at the moment is the Hollywood F2 Over The Top 3 bike rack. Appears to cater for cars like the UX with a roof spoiler. There is a good fitting instruction video on Utube 

m.youtube.com/watch?v=F4oAolo8BN0

I havent done anything about purchasing it yet, as the weather is a bit cold for my ageing bones to be cycling far from home at the moment.

Good luck,

Keith

Let me know what you end up going with here; I picked up the roof racks for my UX but haven't bought a bicycle carrier just yet. If I pull the trigger and get an electric bike at some point then I'll need another solution; some folks have suggested I simply put the seats down, put down a tarp (or fancy cover) and load it inside the car itself as a cheaper solution to a tow bar + rear rack.

Nick

That's been suggested to me as well. Ok, as long as the boot isn't full of luggage and food/booze for a break at a cottage we go to regularly. I don't like the idea of carrying bikes on the roof, apart from the physical effort needed to lift them on and off.

Have been searching this morning for the Hollywood rack I mentioned in my last posting. Not currently in stock anywhere in UK, so will keep searching.

Keith

So I picked up a Hollywood Racks Over-The-Top F2 2-bike rack & attached it this morning. Very good quality & fits my '22 UX250H very well. Had to use the supplied 'hatch huggers' for the side straps, and the bottom straps are attached at the lower corners instead of the bottom as the buckles are too close to the bottom of the hatch. The rack feels very secure and the only place the foam pieces touch the car are on the glass and the base of the licence (registration) plate/bumper junction. I'll attach some pics. My bike weighs about 55lbs, & I had to use a seatpost to steering stem 'beam', but so far no issues. They say 'Not for use with electric bikes', but if the rack is rated for 2 35 lb bikes I don't know why there'd be a problem carrying 1 55 lb bike. I'll post again after a few uses if I discover any problems. Oh ya, the rack cost me $379 CDN (+ tax).

20220122_154145.jpg

20220122_154606.jpg

20220122_154707.jpg

20220122_154948.jpg

20220122_150149.jpg

Very interesting...I did wonder if the fact that the tailgate on the UX is made of a composite plastic material rather than metal might make any difference to its ability to safely hold such loads...looks good in any case! And yes, I can't think of any good reason why a single double-weight bike would be an issue compared to two regular-weight bikes.

One thing though...did your dealer stick that horrible badge on the left there?! I'd be furious, and take the hair dryer to it right away! My car is not a billboard...

Nick

Looks just the job. Unfortunately it appears that here in the UK everywhere is out of stock. One supplier did give a date for new deliveries - August. I have left my email with a couple of dealers to get an early warning when supplies return.

9 hours ago, Ed the Ted said:

Scott & Nick........The bike wheels appear as if they protrude outside the width of the car, this must constitute a possible hazard for oncoming cars and motorcycles especially on UK narrow roads.

Interesting, I think the picture is a bit of an illusion because when I checked the mirrors I didn't really see much of the tires sticking out, so I did some measuring. The overall width of the UX (including the mirrors) is 84.4" (72.4" w/out the mirrors) & the overall length of my bike is 78". Maybe a small concern in the UK with lane-filtering motorcycles & narrow lanes... 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When I ordered my new UX I asked for a factory fit towbar be installed.  (Cost £650) Not for towing anything but for a bike rack.

The rack is a Peruzzo Siena towbar 2 cycle rack. (Cost £150)

All seems to work well and fitting is fairly straightforward. Although I intend to only carry 1 cycle.

The bike wheels look to be wider than the UX but this is not so.

ABF76964-3D9D-4064-9326-D622887A373D.jpeg

B09BFA27-2AFA-44CD-A878-2F9CC0ED04F3.jpeg

130D2C48-80E5-4EAE-8D63-448847E0C1AE.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Yes, I was offered something similar when I bought the car as an option, but I don't like having a tow hitch sticking out beyond the rear bumper even when not using it.

The option I had on my previous car, a CT200h was a Thule system whereby the rack itself fitted into a slot under the bumper, so it was barely noticeable when not in use. Unfortunately not an option now.

I guess I'll wait until the Hollywood becomes available in this country again, and in the meantime restrict my cycling to local roads and tracks.

53 minutes ago, Keith Watts said:

Thanks for the info. Yes, I was offered something similar when I bought the car as an option, but I don't like having a tow hitch sticking out beyond the rear bumper even when not using it.

The option I had on my previous car, a CT200h was a Thule system whereby the rack itself fitted into a slot under the bumper, so it was barely noticeable when not in use. Unfortunately not an option now.

I guess I'll wait until the Hollywood becomes available in this country again, and in the meantime restrict my cycling to local roads and tracks.

The factory fit tow bar is the removable type and neither the tow bar socket or the 13 pin light socket shows when not in use.

1513DD16-2792-4BD8-99A6-96EF5606B461.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Managed to get Hollywood F2 rack. One of the suppliers I left my email with contacted me last week to say that they had them in stock again.

Ordered straight away and it was delivered on Wednesday. Got it fitted, but waiting for some decent weather to get out riding.

Rack fitted ok with a little bit of fettling. Bike fits ok. Like the anti sway system.

Rack cost £199 from Deems Garage, a cycle outlet in the greater London area.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and photos, much appreciated.

Good cycling and motoring.

Keith

IMG_20220303_122522659_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20220303_122458640_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hey Keith,

I just got the same rack. In another forum folks have been commenting on the plastic hatch and thinness of the glass as a potential risk for damage to the car. Any issues so far?

On 3/5/2022 at 11:45 AM, Keith Watts said:

Managed to get Hollywood F2 rack. One of the suppliers I left my email with contacted me last week to say that they had them in stock again.

Ordered straight away and it was delivered on Wednesday. Got it fitted, but waiting for some decent weather to get out riding.

Rack fitted ok with a little bit of fettling. Bike fits ok. Like the anti sway system.

Rack cost £199 from Deems Garage, a cycle outlet in the greater London area.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and photos, much appreciated.

Good cycling and motoring.

Keith

IMG_20220303_122522659_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20220303_122458640_HDR~2.jpg

Hey Keith,

I just got the same rack. In another forum folks have been commenting on the plastic hatch and thinness of the glass as a potential risk for damage to the car. Any issues so far?

No issues. I pass the upper straps through the hinges of the tailgate, bit fiddley but strongest part of the back end. With pulled tight enough, the contact with rear window & rear bumper is lessened, and act as stabilisation rather than taking so much weight. Used only a few times to date, but no problems at all, and no signs of deformation of any parts. I only carry the one bike, which is quite lightweight. (Only one in the family that cycles outside home teritory!)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links