Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Head Unit - Tesla style screen swap?

Hi guys, picking up a 2004 RX300 today - can't wait! Have been a loyal toyota/lexus fan since 17.

The rx300 in question is a SE-L model, with nav and AC controls on the touchscreen. I've spotted on eBay a "Tesla" style android screen which supposedly has all of the original functionality of the OEM screen. It's made by a company in HK, called "XEUNAV". 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-64GB-Android-Car-GPS-Nav-For-LEXUS-RX300-2004-Car-Radio-Player-Free-Map-/224124770572?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Has anyone fitted one of these or something similar to their car? It would make my commute much more manageable! 

Thanks! 

Screenshot_20211016-072849.jpg

Hi Lee, I hope your new wheels live up to your expectations! I've looked before at this sort of mod on my previous cars but it never seems straightforward. If it was UK based I'd be more confident, otherwise it's a big risk as Lexus electronics are very complex. Hopefully someone else can give you advice.

Thanks for your response! 

Unfortunately about a mile away from the dealers it threw an EML light and VSC light. Fault code was P0430 - likely an O2 sensor. Either way I returned and got a full refund. 

It would be nice to have some modern interface in there as it was a lovely place to be, just dated. 

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, LeeNewb said:

Thanks for your response! 

Unfortunately about a mile away from the dealers it threw an EML light and VSC light. Fault code was P0430 - likely an O2 sensor. Either way I returned and got a full refund. 

It would be nice to have some modern interface in there as it was a lovely place to be, just dated. 

That's a shame, plenty more out there though. 

• Like 1

I was looking Into this and researched the same one of you type itnto Google or lexus you will see a couple of video reviews here in the UK and USA like all units the only thing I could fault was that it was a little slow but it had the inclinometer etc and if wired up correctly which it seems to be able to, it will also allow the steering wheel to work I will probably end up buying it but a couple of months down the line and after the car goes into lexus for a major service hopefully no surprises 

• Like 1

I would be very interested to hear the results if you do buy it. I would certainly like to update the cheap plastic look of my silver fascia too, perhaps going for the wood look.

I wonder if the Ali express price will be bumped up a lot with VAT and/or import duty and any unseen shipping costs?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001370412923.html?spm=5261.ProductManageOnline.0.0.64604edfblOH0i&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.hotSpots_6000513483756.0

12 minutes ago, Peter Colman said:

I wonder if the Ali express price will be bumped up a lot with VAT and/or import duty and any unseen shipping costs?

Shouldn't be. It never has been with any of the stuff I've ordered from them.

3 hours ago, Peter Colman said:

Since the price is over £135 AliExpress won't add VAT automatically. So it really depends on what the vendor lists the values as on the customs docs.

HMRC / couriers don't charge VAT/duty if the vendor lists the value as less than £135 (in my experience) as I'm guessing HMRC think AliExpress has added VAT already.

AliExpress started adding VAT this year.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-in-the-uk-using-online-marketplaces

• 4 weeks later...

My Son-in-law put one of these in my 2004 RX300 (He's a wizz  with this stuff)  There was no instructions with it so you do need to know what you're doing. I have everything functioning. Steering wheel controls etc.   heating / air con controls, There's satnav, radio, Attached USB ports, you can save music to the memory, Torque (IE, Full system monitoring, fault codes, fuel trims, etc)  I have the software for the LPG system (Which my S-i-L installed, then we got it inspected & certified) Reverse camera, probably more which I've forgotten. 

A lot of reflection, sorry about the quality of the photos, . 

20200806_203902[1].jpg

20200806_203937[1].jpg

20210626_171416[1].jpg

20210626_171633[1].jpg

20210626_171643[1].jpg

20210626_171740[1].jpg

20210626_171752[1].jpg

20210626_171850[1].jpg

20210626_171353[1].jpg

• Like 2

If this is what it takes not to buy a new car (terrible for the environment), particularly an EV (an even worse waste of resources) and specifically that nauseating brand, then: AMEN.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 11:47 AM, DBIZO said:

If this is what it takes not to buy a new car (terrible for the environment), particularly an EV (an even worse waste of resources) and specifically that nauseating brand, then: AMEN.

What are you on about?  That unit is fitted to my 2004 RX300.  nothing to do with EV. 

3 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I think that's what he's saying, you're getting a compliment!

Well he certainly fooled me! I thought he was using it to slag off electric vehicles and anything that has any sort of vague connection to one.