Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car passed its MOT with two advisories. 

The one that concerns me is quote " Play in  Steering Rack inner joint(s"     

There's a very good Vid on replacing parts of a Steering Rack but the kits I've seen on Rock don't seem to include the Plastic "Castelated (?)" parts which I suspect is what may need to be changed?  

Its expensive to get a new Replacement and although there are companies offering to "refurbish" there's no knowing for certain what they replace.

Steering feels fine and  what I did once think was a possible issue, may in fact be a Wheel ABS which makes a vibrating sound on hard lock when slow turning -on  rare ocassions.  No vibration to the wheels at speed or veering off centre.

My Mechanic didn't find any fault and  there is no leakage. The P/S Pump was replaced three years ago and I have drained and replaced the fluid.

No lights on the Dash for ABS or anything else.

Anyone experienced Steering issues with a GS? 

It most likely won't be the rack - it's probably the ball joints at the inner ends of the track rods. They just screw into the rack and are easily replaced after removing the gaiters. 

The usual reason these wear is turning the steering when not moving - that puts enormous stress on the inner ball joints and the track rod ends. 

Thanks John,  I've ordered a pair from Rock Auto as I'm not convinced by the seller on eBay who quotes legit brand Advertising but will they be a bona-fide product.  When they say "may not be boxed" etc and several different Brands quoted I wonder what the product will actually be.  One Neg. feedback complaining of faux product.  Should be with me by the 21st at £57 the pair. I daresay the outer should also be changed same time. We'll see. Job on the back burner for the moment.

A couple of weeks back I asked my Mechanic to check for anything that needed be replaced and particularly with regard to Steering pre MOT. He found no fault and I trust him.

The MOT guy said its an advisory but no need to worry short term.  Expecting to do trip to France (at long last) will be 1200 miles minimum and no time to  get the replacement inner Control arms changed.

Just don't want to end up in France with another broken down vehicle.   Will take the new ones with me, but.........  

I wouldn't worry. Deterioration of these parts will be very slow and gradual. If you are not aware of any problem in the feel of the steering now it will most likely be just the same when you get back home. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links