Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Central Arm Rest Cover-lock broken

lloydweb

Had a problem with my LC today, for the first time. The lock on the central armrest cover (the one that locks and unlocks it so you can lift it/keep it down), has broken off & is just rattling round inside the lid. It's a semi-rectangular metal flap. The lock to its left, that allows it to slide back and forth, is fine. Luckily the weight of the lid keeps it 90% closed and I have my left arm on it most of the time, but its still annoying. I'll get on to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully a warranty job at barely 2 years old & 9,000 miles.

Anybody else had this issue?

Mike, sorry to hear that the lock has broken. Personally no similar experience and hopefully an easy and inexpensive fix for you. Got to say that in the 5 months I have been on this forum, I believe this is the first time I have read of any problems with the LC car trim! Would be most interested in knowing more about your experience with whomever you get to fix it.

• Like 1

Dealer just contacted me, it's scheduled for a full unit replacement week after next, all under warranty. Seems to be a total one-off problem.Going to do my petrol flap recall and software update all at the same time.

15 minutes ago, lloydweb said:

Dealer just contacted me, it's scheduled for a full unit replacement week after next, all under warranty. Seems to be a total one-off problem.Going to do my petrol flap recall and software update all at the same time.

Great result Mike and seems like they are doing the right thing by you.

Out of interest was the petrol flap a recall in the true sense of the word i.e. something that should have been broached as a matter of course and without any request being made by the owner? I ask because mine has had a little force applied to it, and I suspect because it wouldn't open when required. As a consequence there is the shallowest of dents in the flap but if it is covered by a recall I may well approach my local dealer and see where I stand.

I was told by two Lexus dealers that the fuel flap issue was not a recall but that a slightly amended mechanism was available if the owner wanted it fitted.

In my case,it seems to be temperature related as mine has been good since early Spring and I spray the hinge with silicone occasionally.Apparently,the fix requires the removal of the rear seat and I had that done before when there was an official recall on the fuel pump.I dont want my trim disturbed more than necessary for obvious reasons.If the flap turns bad I will obviously have to get it done.

A J.

That's what I wondered AJ. I had problems with the flap when I first bought the car and in the height of summer. When I looked into it, I could see the release plunger was a little too long. I filed it down slightly, and it has been fine ever since, but of course the previous owner probably over did it with brute persuasion and hence the slightest of dents. It's something I can very readily live with, and given my need for perfection that is saying something!

I knew about it in advance but didn't mention it; when the dealer rang me to give me an update on the service they were doing and any issues/cost, he just mentioned it then as 'it needs to be done' as if it was a known issue and just needed scheduling.

On 10/19/2021 at 9:20 PM, lloydweb said:

I knew about it in advance but didn't mention it; when the dealer rang me to give me an update on the service they were doing and any issues/cost, he just mentioned it then as 'it needs to be done' as if it was a known issue and just needed scheduling.

Sounds like you've got a customer focussed dealer there, and life will be all the better for that!

• Like 1

Good result with the dealer😀

My coin tray latch broke again recently after an apparent DIY semi successful plastic welding repair, fortunately I had a spare because at 27 years old I may have struggled somewhat with a warranty claim. 😀

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, graham8370 said:

Exactly the same problem with my LS. Complete sealed unit, had to change the whole centre console. Cost £4,500

I hope that was under warranty, Graham!?

• Like 1

Got this back yesterday; all now fine with the central armrest; I don't think it would have been £4,500, the service manager wasn't sure but thinks the LC centre console isn't as large as the LS, so would have been a bit less. Also, the petrol flap is NOTICEABLY better; instead of just popping out half an inch or so, it now pops out probably 2 inches. Must be a more powerful spring/ejection mechanism.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

If anyone else has this issue, as I did, it is repairable although you would need to know someone with a lathe and a milling machine.

Basically the moulding had a pin that is offset and can break, so I made a small section out of brass held in place with a couple of M3 screws, nothing is seen once in situ, total time 2 hrs total cost about 10p

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

This does sound like a design fault. Plastic where metal should have been used. What should happen now is Lexus should update the part with wilksy’s idea. That’s what a quality brand should do anyway.

I’d show the dealer who said it’s not covered under warranty this thread which clearly says other owners have had theirs replaced. 

1 hour ago, eightk said:

This does sound like a design fault. Plastic where metal should have been used. What should happen now is Lexus should update the part with wilksy’s idea. That’s what a quality brand should do anyway.

I’d show the dealer who said it’s not covered under warranty this thread which clearly says other owners have had theirs replaced. 

Lexus Bolton were great with mine, car was barely 2 years old at that point, no questions asked.