Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

thinking of getting a dash camera fitted

Barry A

Hi everyone

Had a near miss on the A3 yesterday and, for the first time ever, I just wished that I had a dash cam on board.  Anyone on here retro fitted one, and what would you (or others recommend)

Thanks in anticipation of your responses

• Like 1

Fitted a Nextbase to our IS300h and then transferred it to our NX. Pretty easy about 30mins to install using piggyback fuse with all cables neatly hidden. Plenty of posts showing how, just do a search.

1 hour ago, Barry A said:

Hi everyone

Had a near miss on the A3 yesterday and, for the first time ever, I just wished that I had a dash cam on board.  Anyone on here retro fitted one, and what would you (or others recommend)

I've got one of these Viofo A129 Dual Camera sets (links to amazon page illustrated below) and they're superb.

2021-10-19.thumb.png.9ebb95be1d5bf59fce6870cd8c3fc9ff.png

Easy to fit DIY (or if you don't want to DIY then any auto-electrician will fit), very small and unobtrusive, with great, clear recordings both day and night.

Each camera manufacturer will recommend their own microSD cards but these Samsung Pro Endurance cards  are amongst the best out there, if not the best and have an excellent reputation.

IMG_20210831_192942.thumb.jpg.d7852dce518f48c28d89bb35513b83e2.jpg

IMG_20210831_193022.thumb.jpg.c95180bc478b807daed1cf5d70a106f8.jpg

IMG_20210831_193304.thumb.jpg.4e286d077140eb2b8efaccffdbe115c0.jpg

Thanks for the replies so far.  I've had a look at the reviews thanks to Herbie, and they look really good.  I'm a bit nervous about the task of fitting it myself and don't want to damage trims or headlining in the process.  Noticed some comments about the effect of the rear camera conflicting with DAB also.  Would welcome comments from others who also have experience.  Thanks in anticipation

Had the nextbase 380 GWX (front and rear) fitted at the dealers, very happy with it. Very tidy job front and rear no damage to trim or headlining. They are not that difficult to fit, the hardest part is hiding the power cable. Time and cost compared to self fit, your choice to make, but I would go with a front and rear system what ever you choose.

• Like 1

Noticed some comments about the effect of the rear camera conflicting with DAB also

This seems to happen when the rear cam cable is run close and parallel to the DAB aerial lead. You can either find a different route or maybe add a couple of ferrite beads to prevent or fix it.

• Thanks 1

I am told that the Lexus dealer will supply and fit a front facing NEXT BASE unit for £275 including vat etc.  I got the impression that this was the only one they recommended.  Has anyone had a dealer quote for a front and rear facing unit including installation and vat?  If so, what model and roughly how much?

Grateful for all the replies so far.

Best wishes

I am told that the Lexus dealer will supply and fit a front facing NEXT BASE unit for £275 including vat etc.  I got the impression that this was the only one they recommended.  Has anyone had a dealer quote for a front and rear facing unit including installation and vat?  If so, what model and roughly how much?

Grateful for all the replies so far.

Best wishes

I got a NextBase 322GW with the addition rear cam which directly links and powers from the main cam supplied and fitted from Halfords in the UK for £205.

You have to buy an additional SD to store your footage on, but get them pretty cheap, just make sure you order the right spec card.

But the NextBase app is good for viewing, saving and downloading the footage for both cams with ease without tappin away on the dash cam itself.

The main unit can also optionally display GPS Speedo which is nice to see rather than what's actually being recorded.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barry A said:

Hi everyone

Good thinking, Barry.  Personally I think it’s well past time that these systems were standard equipment, in the same way in-car entertainment is.

These days most established dash cam brands are pretty good.  Next Base has already been mentioned; I’ve had excellent results from BlackVue systems over the years.  There are plenty of videos online showcasing the various brands.

A front/rear set up is definitely the way to go.  On a surprising number of occasions I’ve watched some chancer indulging in risky overtakes to get up to my bumper - and then suddenly drop back as, presumably, they spot the camera on the rear window.  Too late by then of course…great fun!

As Herbs mentioned earlier, get the best microSD cards you can.  Ideally use the biggest one the system can take; carry a spare, in case you’re involved in an incident and need to secure the evidence; copy any useful files to, say, a PC and reformat the card regularly because the constant overwriting can introduce errors.

Finally, I would urge you to ensure that the camera is set up to record while you are away from the car and the ignition is off.  On the BlackVue site there are many examples of collisions/scrapes/thefts occurring while vehicles are parked.

There a various ways of doing this, from additional Battery packs to a voltage regulating power supply.

And if you’re really interested, BlackVue offer systems that will notify your smartphone if the system is activated while you’re away. Or simply allow you to watch what’s going on!

Hours of endless fun!

• Thanks 1

I am told that the Lexus dealer will supply and fit a front facing NEXT BASE unit for £275 including vat etc.  I got the impression that this was the only one they recommended.

It's the only one Lexus sell, nothing to do with them recommending it.

There is nothing 'Lexus-specific' about a dashcam, even the ones they sell. It's just a 12V accessory like any other 12V accessory such as a TomTom satnav or a car vacuum cleaner or a 12V air compressor for inflating your tyres.

It needs a 12V supply and that's it, it's compatible with all cars from Arbarth to Zephyr.

• Like 2

I remember when it was not permitted to have a blue, green or grey or whichever colour on top of the windshield to reduce sun in our eyes because the film or tint was blocking the full view out of the window.

Now we have rain sensors and I do not know whatever else it is that is blocking the view (according to the old rules at least) plus clunky cameras.

I do not say it is a bad idea to be able to record what is happening or has happened, but if it is a good idea, why is such things not installed from factory? Not because of price as smartphones have tiny and rather good cameras in groups and surely a micro lens could be placed and have wiring included in the windshield like the antennas and the rest of the items that make driving more relaxed and comfortable. I do like the rain sensor that start the windshield wipers and the heating wiring that make sure the wipers will not get damaged freezing to the windshield. All these luxury items that make driving easier compared to the first cars many of us here on the forum had long time ago.

Lexus is an old people’s brand. Sure, some of us may not like to be called old, but that is happening when living a long time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

I do not say it is a bad idea to be able to record what is happening or has happened, but if it is a good idea, why is such things not installed from factory?

I don't know why but I'm glad they aren't.

Just like with the built-in navigation it would soon be outdated and would no doubt cost a fortune to replace and involve stripping out half the roof to get to it if it went faulty.

No, in the case of dashcams, I'm happy to buy and install my own.

Hi Barry,

I have fitted a dash cam to both my vehicles, I even did a write up on installing the 380GW in a CT which I'm sure you'll find useful if you end up going the DIY route.

380GW's pop up on fleabay for quite an attractive price, take a look around, mine set me back less than £150 with the hardwire kit and an SD card.

Rear cameras I think are less value for money, chances are that if only the rear of your car takes part in an accident it's 99/100 not your fault. 

Really grateful to all of you.  Our CT is 6 years old and is in near mint condition which is why I am nervous about tackling the job myself - despite having worked in the auto-electric trade just over fifty years ago!  I'd hate to mess up any of the trim with my large clumsy hands - and I have read various reviews where installers have made mistakes when working on an identical vehicle.  So, whilst the NEXTBASE may not be as good as Viofo recommended by Herbie - how I envy you! - I have booked into Lexus Norwich where they will install NEXTBASE front and rear cameras next week.  

I value all the comments made on this thread, so thank you.

• Like 4

Good choice!

Make sure you get the packaging and manuals included, one handy tip regarding the Nextbase dashcam is that if you do not require any footage to be downloaded you can just format your SD card by pressing the "Protect" triangular button and holding it for 6 seconds until the amber LED starts flashing. The instructions are also prescribed on the top of the camera as seen below.

It's a really handy trick to keep it error-free!

image.thumb.png.ede6d82f2ad0f566783f398fb89e68c6.png

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

I don't know why but I'm glad they aren't.

Just like with the built-in navigation it would soon be outdated and would no doubt cost a fortune to replace and involve stripping out half the roof to get to it if it went faulty.

No, in the case of dashcams, I'm happy to buy and install my own.

I do not see how a camera can be outdated if it is good when installed. The wiring in the rear window is already there for antennas and heating.

Navigation in Lexus is not bad because it is outdated. We have latest update in (so it is not outdated) and it is still as clumsy and stupidly made as when it was new. We have a Garmin Nüvi which is maybe 5 or more years old and it is not outdated as updates are coming yearly. Garmin know how to make navigation systems; Lexus has the chosen the wrong partner to make their navigation systems.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LenT said:

Finally, I would urge you to ensure that the camera is set up to record while you are away from the car and the ignition is off.  On the BlackVue site there are many examples of collisions/scrapes/thefts occurring while vehicles are parked.

Presumably this wouldn't show door dinks from adjacent parked cars would it Len?  

I do not see how a camera can be outdated if it is good when installed. The wiring in the rear window is already there for antennas and heating.

Navigation in Lexus is not bad because it is outdated. We have latest update in (so it is not outdated) and it is still as clumsy and stupidly made as when it was new. We have a Garmin Nüvi which is maybe 5 or more years old and it is not outdated as updates are coming yearly. Garmin know how to make navigation systems; Lexus has the chosen the wrong partner to make their navigation systems.

As a long time Garmin user, I could not have put it better myself, John.

So I won’t even try!  🙂

I do not see how a camera can be outdated if it is good when installed.

Better lenses, better night vision, better sensors, firmware updates etc.

If I remember correctly the first dashcam I got was 720p or less than 1.0 megapixel. The one I have in my car now (as shown above) is 2K, which is about 4.0 megapixel. Viofo also do a 4K camera which is about 8.0 megapixel. 

As the numbers go higher the video quality gets better (over-simplification) and I doubt that there would be an easy upgrade path (or any upgrade path at all) with a factory-fitted dashcam. I know this means replacing the cam with a newer one but the principle still applies.

Navigation in Lexus is not bad because it is outdated. We have latest update in (so it is not outdated) and it is still as clumsy and stupidly made as when it was new.

I fully agree that Lexus chose the wrong partner for their nav systems and they are indeed clumsy and horrible. Regarding keeping the system updated - you may be able to get up-to-date maps but are they still running on clunky and outdated operating systems or does the OS get updated as well?

26 minutes ago, D Johnson said:

Presumably this wouldn't show door dinks from adjacent parked cars would it Len?  

No it wouldn't, you'd need four cameras for that.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, D Johnson said:

Sadly, no Marianne.  But all is not lost.

Provided the camera is set up to be activated by motion sensing, it will record the errant driver approaching or leaving  their vehicle.  Equally it will record the vehicle arriving or leaving.  If the G-force sensors have been set sufficiently sensitive, then they will register the impact.  I recall coming back to my car and noticing a warning indication on the camera.  It turned out to be caused by me shutting the door when I left it!

OK, so you return to your car to find a serious mark on a door and perhaps a small paint mark that matches a car that was there when you arrived.  You have the time when that car left and its registration; maybe even an impact record.

As every forensic scientist knows, your car will probably leave evidence on their car.  So what happens next depends on how far you want to pursue the matter.  

These days I do make a habit of just checking round the car when I arrive back.  Cars have got wider, but supermarket parking spaces haven’t.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I fully agree that Lexus chose the wrong partner for their nav systems and they are indeed clumsy and horrible. Regarding keeping the system updated - you may be able to get up-to-date maps but are they still running on clunky and outdated operating systems or does the OS get updated as well?

The free Garmin updates include software files for the operating system as well as map data.

Can’t speak for other brands.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links