Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

thinking of getting a dash camera fitted

Barry A

32 minutes ago, LenT said:

The free Garmin updates include software files for the operating system as well as map data.

I meant for the Lexus factory-fit systems Len.

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

Better lenses, better night vision, better sensors, firmware updates etc.

If I remember correctly the first dashcam I got was 720p or less than 1.0 megapixel. The one I have in my car now (as shown above) is 2K, which is about 4.0 megapixel. Viofo also do a 4K camera which is about 8.0 megapixel. 

As the numbers go higher the video quality gets better (over-simplification) and I doubt that there would be an easy upgrade path (or any upgrade path at all) with a factory-fitted dashcam. I know this means replacing the cam with a newer one but the principle still applies.

I fully agree that Lexus chose the wrong partner for their nav systems and they are indeed clumsy and horrible. Regarding keeping the system updated - you may be able to get up-to-date maps but are they still running on clunky and outdated operating systems or does the OS get updated as well?

First phone I had with a camera was not really good so that will not be OK today. But the cameras in smartphones 5 years ago were sufficient to take good enough pictures to prove what has happened and they were not big. 4K pictures on a 65" TV are nice to look at but not at all needed for a dashcam. So the cameras today will in my eyes not need to be better in the future meaning they will not get outdated.

Regarding the OS on navigation, unfortunately that is not better with the new maps. Completely idiotic OS Lexus has.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links