Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Formula one

Localhero

Will we see Lewis Hamilton in an F1 car again? I’m beginning to think we may not, at least in terms of racing again in F1. I hope not but I’m sure he isn’t feeling good about this. I can’t imagine what it is like to go through the whole season giving absolutely everything you’ve got and then have it taken away from you at the end of the very last race by an incorrect and unprecedented application of the safety car rules.

That the FIA releases a statement saying that many people have a misunderstanding about the last race ending is beyond a joke and shows the contempt they have for competitors, teams and fans alike.

Of course Max is a worthy world champion in terms of the way that he drove all year and really took the fight to Lewis and Mercedes. He should not be world champion though because he was soundly beaten in the last race and it took a bizarre decision by the race director to gift him with the win. The last sequence of races, when it really mattered at the end of the season, were fantastic races by Lewis and Max could not compete with this.

Will Lewis Hamilton be back next year though. I try to put myself in his shoes and think what I would do in the same situation. He might well feel that he has nothing else to prove and it is time to move on. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Will we see Lewis Hamilton in an F1 car again? I’m beginning to think we may not, at least in terms of racing again in F1. I hope not but I’m sure he isn’t feeling good about this. I can’t imagine what it is like to go through the whole season giving absolutely everything you’ve got and then have it taken away from you at the end of the very last race by an incorrect and unprecedented application of the safety car rules.

That the FIA releases a statement saying that many people have a misunderstanding about the last race ending is beyond a joke and shows the contempt they have for competitors, teams and fans alike.

Of course Max is a worthy world champion in terms of the way that he drove all year and really took the fight to Lewis and Mercedes. He should not be world champion though because he was soundly beaten in the last race and it took a bizarre decision by the race director to gift him with the win. The last sequence of races, when it really mattered at the end of the season, were fantastic races by Lewis and Max could not compete with this.

Will Lewis Hamilton be back next year though. I try to put myself in his shoes and think what I would do in the same situation. He might well feel that he has nothing else to prove and it is time to move on. 

The coverage on F1 this week has been really interesting, as has the debate on this thread. From a purely personal perspective I watch F1 to be entertained. The period when Vettel was so dominant in the Red Bull and then when Mercedes took over saw me watch the sport far less - most races were simply a boring procession, unless there was rain involved. 

The last three or four seasons, with the re-emergence of Red Bull and the emergence of Verstappen have added excitement and genuine competition back into the sport. For me, that’s been a blessing. I’m not so bothered by the technical aspects, or the regulations. I want to be entertained. I know from reading this thread that others have different reasons for watching and that’s fine. Ironically I’m a huge cricket fan and I’m not a fan of the increasing focus on the short-form of the game, much preferring the five-day format. I’ve got no idea why my approach to the two sports is so different - I’m just strange I guess!

In terms of the result on Sunday, from everything I’ve read and listened to the ‘better’ thing for the FIA to have done would have been to ‘Red Flag’ the race, clear the accident and have a 3 or 4 lap race to the finish after a re-start. What they did instead was set a new precedent. I do think allowing the race to finish under the safety car would have been unfortunate. 

I also think it was unfortunate that the messages from the team managers were broadcast publicly - it doesn’t feel useful to me or to F1 to hear that sort of gamesmanship openly, even though we all know it goes on. I’m glad that Mercedes have stepped back from legal action, as that would imho simply have dragged the whole thing through more unnecessary mud. A French friend, who lives in the UK and who follows F1 opined that this was “…just another example of you Brits being bad losers.” I do think a legal challenge might have firmed that opinion up outside of the UK, leaving aside the irony that Mercedes is German albeit it based in Brackley…

I’ve read that there is quite a lot of nervousness in the paddock about the new cars for next year. Nobody seems quite sure how they will fare. From Hamilton’s perspective, he can’t possibly have anything else to prove in the sport. I can’t see him being like Vettel and running in a midfield team, and perhaps this is the right time for him to step away. Better that than being like George Best (different times acknowledged) and ending up as a faded star at Hibernian…

I think we’re seeing a natural changing of the guard. The future is now about Verstappen, Norris, Russell and other younger drivers. How F1 decides to manage the sport now will be fascinating. My money is on engineering more drama and excitement where they can, with a more fluid rule book for races and increasingly strict regulations for the cars to try and level the playing field more (if the regulations can become stricter!).

Hamilton has had a great career, but the sun will inevitably set on it and this season ending is as good a reason as any to step away. I can see a career in politics (in some form) in his future.

A French friend, who lives in the UK and who follows F1 opined that this was “…just another example of you Brits being bad losers.” I do think a legal challenge might have firmed that opinion up outside of the UK. 

That is the elephant in the room. The British press is not covering this at all, only Peter Windsor in his fantastic blog was asking - why is Lewis not so popular outside the UK ?-. As i am living in the Netherlands ( i try to look at F1 unbiased surrounded by a sea of orange..) i can only confirm this. We all have seen the booing in the majority of countries and i think in general he is not seen as a likeable character. Respect for the driver yes but he is not fully embraced by the crowds. On top of that outside the UK the last lap discussion is a non topic. In the European press it is not mentioned at all. My guess is that the Mercedes board gave instructions to stop here and now all to avoid a potential public relations disaster developing that could harm the brand image and sales. Even Bernie Ecclestone said pushing  it through could scratch Mercedes.

Will Lewis drive next year? i think he will maybe as last season. But all has changed now the cards are different on the table. A new competitive teammate that wants to outperform him everywhere and probably has the capabilities to do so. No longer reigning champion, different cars. It is no longer an easy Sunday walk in the park for him...   

• Like 1

Hamilton is a great driver, one of the best, especially in the modern era ... but he is so needy, always thanking the crowd and craving applause in his podium chats.  I think he knows that he's not appreciated away from the UK and is desperate for that to change so he can be liked by everyone.

Never a Knight of the Realm either, I do think that could have waited at least another 20 years if at all. Don't go along with sportsmen being knighted at such a young age, waste of a good gong. Murray and Farah are two other examples, ridiculous.  Better to let them wait, to prove themselves as ambassadors of their sport as well as high achievers, like Sir Brendan Foster, Sir Bobby Charlton and many others.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Never a Knight of the Realm either, I do think that could have waited at least another 20 years if at all. Don't go along with sportsmen being knighted at such a young age, waste of a good gong. Murray and Farah are two other examples, ridiculous.  Better to let them wait, to prove themselves as ambassadors of their sport as well as high achievers, like Sir Brendan Foster, Sir Bobby Charlton and many others.

Absolutely. Getting knighted for doing your job has always grated on me. Look at all the gongs which fly about after Olympics and World Cups. As you say, let them prove themselves as worthy recipients afterwards. Jackie Stewart wasn't knighted until 2001 - many years after his third title, years during which he did an awful lot for safety in motor sport.

• Like 3

I think it might be because he lacks humility and isn't particularly easy to relate to.

Other multiple champions such as Vettel, Schumacher and Senna were always humble and sincere off track and are regarded as down-to-earth.

Lewis seems to be making statements about everything, brings politics in F1 and walks around dressed like a rapper.  It's like he can't bear to not be seen and talked about.  He also sounds manufactured and that he has a script he has to follow every time he speaks after a race:

• Thank the team - check
  • Thank the crowd - check
  • etc, etc...

Also, unlike the others, he appears very stand-offish and not very well liked by the other drivers.  Respect yes, but you don't see him having a laugh or just chatting to them.  Other drivers do segments with their teammates and hang around with them but Lewis is nowhere to be seen once the racing is done.

I feel there is an arrogance and practiced demeanour about him that isn't appealing and it certainly makes me think negatively about him off the track no matter how good a racing driver he is.

• Like 4

Maybe there is another aspect as well. In the past 8 years he was comfortably cruising to his championships as the Merc was by far the fastest car around. The only competition was from his teammate and that, well you know. Only Rosberg succeeded due to lack of motivation from Lewis that year. Just google the final standings from 2014 onwards, its bordering on a joke. A bit like footballresults of 10- Nil. And yes afterwards thank the team thank the best crowd ever and say you had to go really deep it was a tough race phew. Everyone did see another picture though. People remember this and yes he does not have a lot of friends in the paddock. Come to think of it it could well be that Russel and Norris are already more popular than lewis in the UK. Remember when Russel had to step in for Lewis last year and drove rings around Bottas? Or Norris in Sochi in the rain? The cheers were incredible. The press however is full on on Lewis, never one critical question. Yes i do think he is a great driver but the best? Also the last race regardless of the result was questionable. He had the fastest car but did not put it on pole.  He was overtaken twice by Max and in both cases he left the door wide open did not defend the corner. Maybe it is time to move on and let the youngsters have a go.

1 hour ago, Localhero said:

6D793CF3-F724-430A-B494-58031DD70F62.thumb.jpeg.dfbd76b15f85c413b1fcdb5f2fe26227.jpeg

Don't think this helps.  Hamilton was gracious in his congratulations to Max after the race when he must have been seething inside at the way it happened whilst accepting Max was not to blame.  Surely what matters is how well you drive, not how popular you are and in any event Hamilton has many supporters even if some do not approve of some of his over extrovert excesses.  

I am dying to see the first glimps of the 2022 cars and the result of the first tests. Initial reports are the cars will be able to follow each other closely and will be closer in performance as well. Will Mighty Mercedes still be as strong? Will Red Bull "without"Honda be up there? Will Ferrari finally be back on top? Will Mclaren be the big surprise? 

Will there be a four way battle between the drivers?  Bring it on !

• Like 1

On 26/12/2021 at 1:05 AM, Barry14UK said:

Don't think this helps.  Hamilton was gracious in his congratulations to Max after the race when he must have been seething inside at the way it happened whilst accepting Max was not to blame.  Surely what matters is how well you drive, not how popular you are and in any event Hamilton has many supporters even if some do not approve of some of his over extrovert excesses.  

Apologies I am a huge Lewis fan I have 2 signed caps a signed photo I have met him and been in the mercedes garage, my nephew is his no 2 mechanic the photo is not about the race result it is about Max putting his hands on Lewis's rear wing, my nephew has seen the chassis for next years car and I believe there will be a photo shoot at Silverstone in February before testing begins in Barcelona 👍IMG-20210928-WA0000.thumb.jpg.4da8480545fb09fadbb3a994a2f307b1.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
19 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Wow, what a race and its not even finished!

That was genuine racing - for the final ten laps mainly. Fantastic.

A truly horrible accident - and one in the F2 race earlier too - but testament to the amazing safety advances made in recent years that all drivers are alive and (mostly) unscathed.

So far, I’ve enjoyed this season more than any in recent years. The sport really needs Ferrari to be competitive imho.

• Like 2

It was a really good race especially when the safety car came in. Got to say though i feel for George Russell he only had a puncture and the rules wouldn't allow him to rejoin the race.

6 hours ago, ALAW said:

It was a really good race especially when the safety car came in. Got to say though i feel for George Russell he only had a puncture and the rules wouldn't allow him to rejoin the race.

He really shouldn't have got out of his car. I know it was done because he wanted to help but it left the car unattended and the recovery crew intervened and once one gets 'help' one cannot rejoin the race.

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

He really shouldn't have got out of his car. I know it was done because he wanted to help but it left the car unattended and the recovery crew intervened and once one gets 'help' one cannot rejoin the race.

Don't agree. I think he did the right thing. that crash looked life threatening so he did deserve my respect for what he did. He is in good company as well as i can remember Senna doing the same mid race in Belgium to switch off the engine in Eric Comas car after a 150mph shunt. I feel the general public does not realize yet how good Russel really is in my idea he is up there with Leclerc/Max/Alonso.

• Like 1

That was the first GP in a very long time that I have felt invested in it, wheel to wheel, 4 abreast at times. It was like watching it back in the 3L era again, something that has been missing for a very long time. Watching the Red Bulls and the Ferraris going at it on the restart without race control stepping in is exactly what we've been missing. 

I'm genuinely astonished that Zhou not only survived the crashed but, was released from medical care midrace. 

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

Don't agree. I think he did the right thing. that crash looked life threatening so he did deserve my respect for what he did. He is in good company as well as i can remember Senna doing the same mid race in Belgium to switch off the engine in Eric Comas car after a 150mph shunt. I feel the general public does not realize yet how good Russel really is in my idea he is up there with Leclerc/Max/Alonso.

Sorry don't get me wrong, I also think he did the right thing, any driver would. It's just in the eyes of the rule makers he shouldn't and had he stayed in the car and got it back to the pits he could have restarted. But as I say, he did the right thing in going to help.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2022 at 6:39 AM, NemesisUK said:

Yes your correct Peter those are the rules and they applied them. Makes you think about last years final race where Lewis was pipped.