Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Formula one

Localhero

Haven't missed a race for a very long time 🙂

This season is certainly an improvement, but I can't help but think that Mercedes still has the edge over Red Bull.

I'm just hoping that next seasons' cars level the playing field a bit more and make overtaking easier.

Been a fan ever since I remember.

The Hamilton domination era has ben very tiring and damaging to the sport. But this season I have watched every practice and qualifying session as well as the race, I've never been any more invested in this sport.

Very thankful for Liberty Media and their efforts to bring the F1 to the masses, even if it hurts the elitists.

Thanks for replies, my nephew is Lewis Hamiltons #2 mechanic but had trouble posting  a couple of videos so afraid 3 boring photos if they work!! 1 my nephew getting a hug from lewis on his 100th win, 2 valteris crew and girlfriend , 3 my 70th birthday presents from Lewis 2x signed caps and a signed photo, also got to borrow my brothers porsche for the day lucky me🤪IMG-20210928-WA0000.thumb.jpg.526b4fa862fb0df04e2bb73a6ce621de.jpgIMG-20201213-WA0001.thumb.jpg.83fb322b5043b612b12eef007fafcbd7.jpg20211005_194448.thumb.jpg.7c3502932f3e076fac4f93a78de375da.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From an engineering point of view the development over the years is just incredible.  Safety was pretty non existent in the pre carbon days and the cars were literally driving petrolbombs. Even during the Senna days the driver looked so incredibly vulnerable with head and shoulders fully exposed. I do hope next years aerodynamics make it easier in close racing and overtaking but so far this year has been pretty spectacular and now only a couple of races to go! Lewis or Max? Max or Lewis?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

From an engineering point of view the development over the years is just incredible.  Safety was pretty non existent in the pre carbon days and the cars were literally driving petrolbombs. Even during the Senna days the driver looked so incredibly vulnerable with head and shoulders fully exposed. I do hope next years aerodynamics make it easier in close racing and overtaking but so far this year has been pretty spectacular and now only a couple of races to go! Lewis or Max? Max or Lewis?

Agree Bernard many things that were engineered in F1 cars eventually made their way to our basic road cars that manufactures now make. The developement is incredible and ongoing. Stay safe everyone.

I too have followed F1 for best part of near on 40 years. I could talk for hours about it. Currently i am in the Lewis camp i think he is the best driver F1 has ever had and so hope he wins the title this year. Gonna be tough but i think he will be thereabouts. Wondering what will happen to the sport in future regards net zero and all that. Finally i think the removing it from terrestial television is a big mistake likewise with cricket.

27 minutes ago, ALAW said:

I too have followed F1 for best part of near on 40 years. I could talk for hours about it. 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!  🙂

28 minutes ago, ALAW said:

Finally i think the removing it from terrestial television is a big mistake likewise with cricket.

In all seriousness----I agree.  I always record it (F1 that is)  so that I can:

a) Avoid the commercials.

b) Avoid Steve Jones.  For all I know he may be a perfectly affable lad in real life.  But to me he appears to think that he's talking to 14 year-old schoolboys.  I get the feeling listening to him that he was once bitten by an American 'shock jock' on a local radio station and has been infected with the inane chatter virus.

In contrast the contributions and exchanges by David Coulthard and Mark Webber are always intelligent, perceptive, articulate and have the benefit of coming from those who have been there, done that!  Do they really need anyone else?

I also wonder if the BBC, having lost both F1 and cricket, could ever afford to bring either back?  Perhaps the more cost effective option would be to combine the two in some way?  The objective would be to eliminate the boring bits of both sports and combine the bits when something dramatic happens.

Just remember; you heard it here first....

8 hours ago, ALAW said:

I too have followed F1 for best part of near on 40 years. I could talk for hours about it. Currently i am in the Lewis camp i think he is the best driver F1 has ever had and so hope he wins the title this year. Gonna be tough but i think he will be thereabouts. Wondering what will happen to the sport in future regards net zero and all that. Finally i think the removing it from terrestial television is a big mistake likewise with cricket.

Yes, I’m firmly in the Lewis Hamilton camp too. The best driver I’ve seen in the sport.

9 hours ago, ALAW said:

Finally i think the removing it from terrestrial television is a big mistake [...].

I'm hoping to see Live Streaming make their way to the popular platforms such as amazon or Netflix, there's big money to be made should they introduce live coverages like they did with Football.

As much as the Sky deal provided Ecclestone with an incredible revenue stream, the British fans have been the one to suffer as a consequence. For someone who has all the interest in the sport, forking out for the ridiculous pricing scheme of Sky subscription is a big ask. Although at least I've enjoyed a few years of watching other racing series as they were more accessible, WEC is a very fun series to follow; Formula E is finally picking up the momentum also! 

Hopefully before the end of the 2024 Sky F1 contract, Liberty Media will strike some sort of a deal to bring us the F1TV Pro. 

8 hours ago, LenT said:

In contrast the contributions and exchanges by David Coulthard and Mark Webber are always intelligent, perceptive, articulate and have the benefit of coming from those who have been there, done that!  Do they really need anyone else?

I find David to be a bit of a hit and miss these days, his opinions on the HAM vs VER drama have pushed me over the edge lately. He would do best replacing Crofty and Brundle and teaming up with Weber to commentate on the races. Leave the analysis to Chandhok and occasional Rosberg appearances, they seem to have a much fairer outlook on things.

I mean come on, Coulthard's interview with Bottas after his Monza P3 performance said it all.

7 minutes ago, Localhero said:

I am not sure swapping George russell for Bottas is such a great idea, as proved by the last race, but maybe russell will be better in a mercedes, I hope so👍

I'm happy for Valtteri.

I can't imagine what it felt like, driving 5 seasons with a team that has no business of prioritising your races, running on 1 year contract extensions. He has a great race pace but absolutely crumbles under pressure. However since the Alfa announcement he's found himself a new lease of life.

George will bring some fresh blood into the team, another hungry youngster, should be interesting.

1 hour ago, Localhero said:

I am not sure swapping George russell for Bottas is such a great idea, as proved by the last race, but maybe russell will be better in a mercedes, I hope so👍

Russel will bring internal competition to Lewis, something Bottas was never capable of.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, LenT said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!  🙂

In all seriousness----I agree.  I always record it (F1 that is)  so that I can:

a) Avoid the commercials.

b) Avoid Steve Jones.  For all I know he may be a perfectly affable lad in real life.  But to me he appears to think that he's talking to 14 year-old schoolboys.  I get the feeling listening to him that he was once bitten by an American 'shock jock' on a local radio station and has been infected with the inane chatter virus.

I also wonder if the BBC, having lost both F1 and cricket, could ever afford to bring either back?  Perhaps the more cost effective option would be to combine the two in some way?  The objective would be to eliminate the boring bits of both sports and combine the bits when something dramatic happens.

Just remember; you heard it here first....

Remeber the excellent coverage on CH4 when England won the ashes good anaylisis etc. Blow medown following year it was on sky. BBC had a good coverage of F1 also horse racing.

13 hours ago, -Error- said:

I'm hoping to see Live Streaming make their way to the popular platforms such as Amazon or Netflix, there's big money to be made should they introduce live coverages like they did with Football.

As much as the Sky deal provided Ecclestone with an incredible revenue stream, the British fans have been the one to suffer as a consequence. For someone who has all the interest in the sport, forking out for the ridiculous pricing scheme of Sky subscription is a big ask. Although at least I've enjoyed a few years of watching other racing series as they were more accessible, WEC is a very fun series to follow; Formula E is finally picking up the momentum also! 

Hopefully before the end of the 2024 Sky F1 contract, Liberty Media will strike some sort of a deal to bring us the F1TV Pro. 

I find David to be a bit of a hit and miss these days, his opinions on the HAM vs VER drama have pushed me over the edge lately. He would do best replacing Crofty and Brundle and teaming up with Weber to commentate on the races. Leave the analysis to Chandhok and occasional Rosberg appearances, they seem to have a much fairer outlook on things.

I mean come on, Coulthard's interview with Bottas after his Monza P3 performance said it all.

Chandook very good

36 minutes ago, ALAW said:

BBC had a good coverage of F1.....

Indeed so.  For me it was Raymond Baxter who set the commentary standard for the BBC.  A successful rally driver himself, he'd been a Spitfire pilot in WWll and I suppose that once you've had, say, 1800hp of Merlin engine in front of you, you can put an F1 engine of the time in perspective.

But much as I used to enjoy F1, for really close motor racing and plenty of overtaking, I watch British Touring Car Championship races.  Watching four of them taking a high speed corner in line abreast is something you'll rarely ever see in F1.  Apart from the occasional appearance of an IS200, Lexus has not been seriously involved.  Even then, it seems, the usual 6-cylinder engine was actually replaced with a 4-cylinder unit from the Toyota Altezza RS200. (Or so I read in the Touring Car Register!)

• Like 2