Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Formula one

Localhero

I think a lot of Mercedes straight line speed come from it's trick rear suspension that, once above a critical speed, drops the rear ride height so much by going 'over-centre, it stalls the airflow over the rear diffuser reducing drag dramatically. Only really possible because of MB's low rake design. 

Less drag is far more useful in gaining speed in the straights than increased bhp and it doesn't stress the power unit. Hopefully the MB engineers can tweak the transverse rear damper to match each of the remaining circuits.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I think a lot of Mercedes straight line speed come from it's trick rear suspension that, once above a critical speed, drops the rear ride height so much by going 'over-centre, it stalls the airflow over the rear diffuser reducing drag dramatically. Only really possible because of MB's low rake design. 

Less drag is far more useful in gaining speed in the straights than increased bhp and it doesn't stress the power unit. Hopefully the MB engineers can tweak the transverse rear damper to match each of the remaining circuits.

Agreed. Also having a new engine allows a team to run a much more aggressive mapping to give more power. Although they have to use the same mapping in qualifying and race, they still have lots of maps to choose from. The more aggressive the mapping (and therefore power) the more wear to the engine which is much less important when you have fresher engines to choose from. It’ll be an interesting weekend. Can’t wait.

• Like 2

Anyone noticed more so this year they all look very closely at the tyre degredation. I cant get my head around all the tyre issues. It appears the timing of the pit stops for tyres is critical always was but more so now.

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

I was thinking this too

That will be a tempting option but it will bring him in the midfield during the start and run up to the first corner. This is the highest risk position you can have you only need one driver misjudging the situation and it is over. No points.

• Like 1

Looking at the last race and the FIA ruling on the was it 00.003 mm change of a rear spoiler i reckon i may be wrong but someone must have said something to someone at the FIA surely neither anyone of us would have noticed such a miniscule movement.

6 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

That will be a tempting option but it will bring him in the midfield during the start and run up to the first corner. This is the highest risk position you can have you only need one driver misjudging the situation and it is over. No points.

Yes that’s the downside isn’t it. Agreed.

I see Bottas tops the speed ratings in practice but Red Bull say the rear diffuser giving the Mercs an unfair advantage they say they are scored.minutely. Max rubbed his hands over it at the last race i believe. In fact i think stewards had him in for this.

12 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I have a feeling that this year’s championship will end up in the courts. Whichever way it goes.

I certainly hope not.

Off track antics aside, it has been brilliant watching the two of them battling it out.

My missus ask me in the car today who I thought would win the title, and for the first time in a long time, I told her I genuinely had no idea!

• Like 1

I really hope it will be a clean battle on track and not a penalty regulation wait one week decision in Paris type of thing. The whole season has been brilliant with 2 contenders that cannot be more different. Different characters on and off the track which makes it easy to pick one. Only hope the tension does not disappear because of the sudden speed of Lewis Rocket car!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

I predict Max will take Lewis out on the first corner!

In theory he should be too far back with a 5 place grid penalty for ignoring double waved yellows, but I'll be surprised if he receives the standard penalty for this offence.

17 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

I predict Max will take Lewis out on the first corner!

Max is likely to get a grid penalty so from position 5, 3rd row t boning lewis is more a Bottas speciality

Ok then Lewis and Max who do they remind you of name 1 other driver with thesame approach.

Lewis  --  Prost ( thinker always helicopterview following a plan)

Max  -- Villeneuve ( gilles ) Instinctive, temperament wants to win every corner.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Max is likely to get a grid penalty so from position 5, 3rd row t boning lewis is more a Bottas speciality

It should be 5 place drop for double yellows and 3 places for single. Apparently max ignored double waved yellows.

Not sure why they still haven't made a decision - should be clear cut and announced a few minutes after qualifying ended.

If Lewis wins the next one plus fastest lap with Max coming in second they have thesame amount of points going into the last race. After en entire season.  This will be the sporting event of the year!

• Like 1