Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Au revoir....

Farewell faithful friend, I didn't really get to know you too well over the two years and 4,000ish miles we spent together but my first taste of hybrid was a good one. I hope your next owner treats you kindly. They'll be paying more for you than I did 🙂

164205663_2021-10-2009_34_43.thumb.jpg.87e1aef22598561e2d43949136e9167f.jpg)231292206_2021-10-2009_34_51.thumb.jpg.4dccfa74d73d3c3c5b71d2b8d0c7df5c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Is the Aldi backdrop really a befitting departure, shouldn't it have at least been Waitrose?

Although you do seem to get a lot of parking space for your money.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, paulrnx said:

4,000 miles in two years! Less than 40 miles a week. Almost not worth having a car I’d think 😀

That's a good point! It was a victim of the pandemic. Before I'd have been putting about 10,000 business miles on it a year but thanks to Teams and Zoom, I don't get out much now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, LenT said:

Although you do seem to get a lot of parking space for your money.

Lexus Leicester should be held up as an example of how parking spaces should be marked out - it makes parking a doddle for me 😁

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Is the Aldi backdrop really a befitting departure, shouldn't it have at least been Waitrose?

I didn't really think that one through did I? I could possibly have framed that shot better or had I not been so hasty to post it, I could have photoshopped the Waitrose logo over the top of Aldi's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And here's the advert:

https://leicester.usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/IS/300h-F-Sport-4dr-CVT-Auto-Premium-Navigation-kmb2gzj

Given the mileage and mpg figures, I reckon they've used some of the photos from the original advert (should have downloaded those at the time - see me after class Mincey)

Best of luck with your new wheels!

Obviously, the ES is positioned higher in the pecking order than the IS, so it should be better than the IS, but I'd still be interested in your views in areas such as:

• Newer Hybrid generation which has considerably less lag than IS. I've noticed this when driving a current-shape Corolla - have you also noticed this with the ES?
  • Economy (I'd expect the ES to give up to 10 MPG more)
  • Refinement - noise
  • Ride Quality  
  • Ergonomics and infotainment usability
  • Cabin Room
  • Lookbackability - are you more inclined to sneek a quick look as you walk away after parking up, for example.

I'm sure there are others ...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, route66 said:

Best of luck with your new wheels!

Obviously, the ES is positioned higher in the pecking order than the IS, so it should be better than the IS, but I'd still be interested in your views in areas such as:

I'm putting together a list at the moment. I'm not going to publish it now as i've still got the "New Car Blinkers" on but I'll comment as follows:

• Newer Hybrid generation which has considerably less lag than IS. I've noticed this when driving a current-shape Corolla - have you also noticed this with the ES? Yes - definitely. When I accelerate there's no noticeable lag. No need to put it into S at roundabouts.
  • Economy (I'd expect the ES to give up to 10 MPG more) Watch this space
  • Refinement - noise. It is extremely quiet inside. I must ask someone to stand outside when I try the horn, as from inside it's almost inaudible.
  • Ride Quality. My IS F Sport crashed and banged over bumps and scars in the road. The ES F Sport is significantly smoother and quieter
  • Ergonomics and infotainment usability. Will return to this.
  • Cabin Room. It's enormous inside. I do miss the snug racing car/fighter jet driving position of the IS though. It's probably the lower/narrower console due to a lack of a transmission tunnel though.
  • Lookbackability - are you more inclined to sneek a quick look as you walk away after parking up, for example. Yes. I have to make sure that the mirrors are tucked back so I know she's locked and safe. There's also a nightly (at the very least) check to make sure that I have deactivated the keyless entry!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on how the ES compares to the IS (as per list above)?

And yes, at this rate of inflation, you should have kept the IS yourself and got some extra funding to cover the ES. After about a year, you could have sold the IS for about a £billiontey squintillion and then used the funds to pay off the ES. And some thing else you fancy - e.g. a private island or a football club 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, route66 said:

Any updates on how the ES compares to the IS (as per list above)?

I went to visit my mother in Stamford at the weekend and instead of taking my usual return journey down the A1, I thought I'd see how Betsy fared on the back roads. I could of course have posted dashcam footage as proof that I had as much fun with FWD as RWD but I had my "Classic Rock" playlist on at the time and nobody really needs to hear me singing along to Freebird. 

I'm still on the first tank of fuel. The computer is showing 43.5ish mpg, and that is after the trip back from Leicester, Leicester and back for the dashcam fitting, two trips to Stamford and lots of unnecessary local trips. I'll brim her when I fill up and work out the actual mpg. 

The boot easily swallowed lots of stuff which would have been a squeeze in the IS, and I'm loving the heated steering wheel. 

Not quite so good yet is my ability to park her. If I'm parking in a space which I can drive into, her pert bottom often sticks out and I have to have another go. I just haven't got used to her length yet. 

Android Auto is great, it's a shame it isn't wireless but until the price of wireless adapters comes down, I can live with plugging my phone in. 

Blue does show up the dirt though! I could get away with my IS being filthy being silver, but I'm going to have to keep on top of a regular washing regime for Betsy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One more - when the boot on the ES is opened from the key fob or button on the dashboard, it opens all the way, it doesn't just unlock and open a millimetre or two. This is great if you're carrying stuff. Not as great admittedly as having a sensor under the bumper to open it "hands free". However, having one of these could make you look a total clot, like the driver of some Schiesserwagen in the Sainsbury's car park last night who couldn't find theirs. Or it  didn't work. I was tempted to shout "Vorsprung durch technik" at them as they waggled their foot around beneath the car like some deranged lunatic, but they were already suffering enough having fallen for the hype and bought a German car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Mincey said:

And it's now on offer this week at....

maybe they're trying to recoup the daily rent and rates on the showroom ............  and the coffee and bikkies too:wink3:

Malc

• Haha 1