Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which generation of navigation?

Still researching the Grom VLine 2 and if you look at this link here you'll see that for the 2016-2019 RX (mine's 2018) there are two units listed, the LEX8 and the LEX9.

Apparently that refers to the navigation system, so how do I find out if my car has a Gen 8 or a Gen 9 system?

Herbie,

Looks like it could be Gen 9:

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/248839/1518556877/redirect/1/filename/Navigation GEN Index pdf.pdf

Although this is a US site.... Do they even use the same generation designations in the UK?  And i f they do, does it change in sync with changes in US model years... hmm... I honestly don't know.  I've always known the systems in the UK as MM13, MM15, MM17, and the latest AA/ACP version is MM19.  (And there is a new one coming with the new NX of course).  But perhaps this refers to software functionality rather than hardware generation?

Paul

1 hour ago, PDM said:

Hi Herbie,

Just wondering if you had any luck on understanding which Vline to buy?

Paul

Sorry Paul, I completely forgot to let you know and that's not like me because it's one of my pet hates  :oops:

There was only a part number on the back of the SD card but no mention of which generation, so I contacted the UK distributors of the Grom units and even they're a bit stumped. Depending where you look it seems that the LEX8 unit is for 2016-2019, but the LEX9 is for 2018-2021  :confused1:

So, yesterday they asked me to email a photo of the radio display on FM input rather than DAB so that they can forward it to the development guys in the States. Having told them the date of first registration (29/06/2018) and given them the VIN number I thought it a bit strange but it all became clear today. There's a Grom VL2 Users Group on Facebook and a guy from Cushie Audio in Australia pointed me to his blog about identifying which gen you have, from the radio display.

If you look at that and then compare to my radio in the photo below, I reckon it's the LEX9 that I need although it may be wise to wait for confirmation from the States.

Thanks for your help mate and I promise I will keep you all updated as this progresses.

grom3.thumb.jpg.440995d898bcd0af54d420c8b94a41f7.jpg

Thanks, Herbie.  Very interesting.  I wonder how the GenX maps onto the UK designation of MM15, MM17 etc?

From the link it does indeed look like GEN9.  Look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Paul

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links