Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty

Following previous discussions about Lexus Relax and Extended Warranty I have started this new thread with my current experience with the Extended Warranty. 

My current Extended Warranty on my Lexus IS 300h is due to expire early November. After the announcement of Relax (and the removal of the Extended Warranty from the Lexus website) I had spoken to Jemca (who I use for all my Lexus requirements) a few months ago and they had confirmed that an Extended Warranty will still exist for cars that fall outside Relax.

My car is a 2014 registration IS 300h that has now done just under 108,000 miles and so this week I called Jemca to discuss an Extended Warranty. Here is what is on offer comparing the T&Cs of a new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty with the old Extended Warranty I currently have in place:

• The new warranty is called Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty
  • It is for approved Lexus vehicles up to 15 years old, subject to 150,000 mileage limit - the old Extended Warranty was for approved Lexus vehicles up to 10 years old and 140,000 miles, so the new extended warranty covers vehicles for longer in this respect
  • It is only available for vehicles that are between 10 and 15 years old and/or 100,000 and 150,000 miles – Relax extended warranty automatically applies to all cars under 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles
  • The 2-4-1 offer is not available on the new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty – only one year at a time - the cost for my IS 300h is £474 for one year (the old one was £795 for two years), it can be paid either up front or in 10 interest free monthly instalments
  • The car must still be serviced to schedule by a franchised Lexus dealer (as per the old extended warranty)
  • It still includes the Lexus Roadside Assistance same as the old one did (note that Relax extended warranty does not include Lexus Roadside Assistance)
  • The company that provides the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty and ultimately pays all valid claims made under it is Toyota (GB) PLC (Lexus Division), and the administrator of the warranty is TWG Services Limited – this is all the same as the old one
  • It doesn’t include the MoT testing fee (though I understand some of the old extended warranty didn’t either, although mine did include two MoT test fees)
  • In Excluded Parts for the new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty it specifically lists “Multi media components or in car entertainment systems, including but not limited to satellite navigation, CD/DVD systems, audio visual equipment and Bluetooth connectivity. Components will be covered under the Warranty if the failure results in the non-operation of an essential vehicle system, eg, air conditioning controls, heated screen operation and the parking assistance system.” - this is an additional exclusion in the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty and as per previous forum discussion it mirrors the exclusion in the Relax extended warranty - I wonder whether it may be due to owners trying to do map updates themselves (that are the “dealer only” updates according to Lexus) or other modifications and bricking the system? – otherwise seems a strange exclusion and has been specifically added for both Relax and this new Extended Warranty

Comparing the T&Cs of the old Extended Warranty and the new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty clause by clause, then other than a few minor changes in wording (usually to clarify things) this is everything I could deduce.

On that basis I have gone ahead and taken out the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty on my IS 300h for the coming year. Although slightly more expensive that the old extended warranty I still think it’s value for money considering the age/mileage of my car and the fact it includes the Lexus Roadside Assistance which would be £125 if purchased separately (and my wife’s car also benefits from the free partner included with this). I have made successful claims on the Extended Warranty previously and so know that Lexus parts / labour can be expensive.

I hope this helps others in similar position to myself - first point of contact to discuss further is probably your local franchised dealer. As always, I appreciate whether or not to take an Extended Warranty is a choice based on personal circumstances – it suits me but YMMV.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

A really useful appraisal which should give comfort to many who thought they could no longer get warranty cover for +100k mile cars. A big bonus is cover available up to 15 years old which is a significant benefit compared to the old extended warranty. Perhaps not quite as gloom and doom as we feared.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arqum said:

Do you know which Jemca dealership you went with? My local one is a Jemca dealer.

I use Jemca Lexus Reading but when I call the Reading number for booking a service etc it often goes to a central Jemca call centre - I had called Lexus Reading about the Extended Warranty but it diverted and when they called me back it was an 0208 London number (I think that is their Jemca Edgeware Road site) and it was the person there who organised this for me over the phone as they have with previous Extended Warranties, service plans and service and MoT bookings. All the paperwork is headed Jemca group. 

Well, this is good news, thanks for the info Phil 👍

Apart from the multi media not being covered, are the terms the same as Relax now or do they mimic the old Extended warranty?

It is also strange that I still can't find any mention of this product anywhere else.

Either way, it is nice to see that not only does Lexus have faith in its older products, but it has actually extended their coverage further!

Just now, Shahpor said:

Well, this is good news, thanks for the info Phil 👍

Apart from the multi media not being covered, are the terms the same as Relax now or do they mimic the old Extended warranty?

It is also strange that I still can't find any mention of this product anywhere else.

Either way, it is nice to see that not only does Lexus have faith in its older products, but it has actually extended their coverage further!

The T&Cs of the the new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty follow the same clauses as the old extended warranty virtually clause for clause rather than the format of Relax, other than the new exclusion of the multimedia system. Agree that it's strange this new extended warranty isn't on the Lexus website but when I spoke to Jemca there was no hesitation over it so they were well informed. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

The T&Cs of the the new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty follow the same clauses as the old extended warranty virtually clause for clause rather than the format of Relax, other than the new exclusion of the multimedia system. Agree that it's strange this new extended warranty isn't on the Lexus website but when I spoke to Jemca there was no hesitation over it so they were well informed. 

Well that really is a good deal then!

Strange that the coverage of the 10+ year cars is superior to the newer ones, even if you are paying for it.

If I still had my GS, I will certainly be on the phone to Lexus Reading to buy one.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Strange that the coverage of the 10+ year cars is superior to the newer ones, even if you are paying for it.

Its not strange if overall Lexus knows these cars never break and if it keeps the owners from coming back to a dealer for servicing that's where the money is made.

For a dealer making money from servicing is much easier than trying to you a brand new car.

Its also the same reason why we have kept the Lexus AA cover going. We pay £99/year for essentially the top cover the AA offers that normally costs £300+, again its because Lexus knows owners will rarely if ever use it.

• Like 1

A great summary and good news for the planned long-term ownership of my 2014 RX. Due to its low mileage and good history I want to keep it for as long as possible, it'll get to 10 years old before 100k so Relax will do me until then, but it's useful to know the new offering is available to cover me beyond that time.

If I still have it after 15 years/150,000 miles then I'll be pretty confident in how it's going, and I'll just run it the same as any other older car I've previously owned without any great issue. I'm certainly not worrying about having one on my LS400 at 29 years old and 164k miles......

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

After seeing Phils original post regarding the 10 year plus extended warranty i have just taken out one for my 60 plate 450H.

I noticed that it was stated that the roadside recovery was included however was this sent to you seperately as i can find no mention of it in the contract.

It seems good value.

1 hour ago, Cypry 1 said:

After seeing Phils original post regarding the 10 year plus extended warranty i have just taken out one for my 60 plate 450H.

I noticed that it was stated that the roadside recovery was included however was this sent to you seperately as i can find no mention of it in the contract.

It seems good value.

Yes it was sent separately - I called them as it didn't come through at the same time as the Extended Warranty paperwork and they said it would follow a few days later and indeed it did. When it arrives if you want to take the partner cover then there is a form in the pack to fill in and return and then they will also receive a membership card giving them cover.

I recently looked at these warranties, however a service+MOT from our local Lexus dealer is well north of £300, the local garage down the road does it for £200. Given how unlikely these cars are to go wrong, I still see little reason to use a Lexus main dealer for servicing. 7 years and still waiting for the first 'fault' to develop, it may not be an exciting car to drive, but the reliability is amazing :).

18 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

I recently looked at these warranties, however a service+MOT from our local Lexus dealer is well north of £300, the local garage down the road does it for £200. Given how unlikely these cars are to go wrong, I still see little reason to use a Lexus main dealer for servicing. 7 years and still waiting for the first 'fault' to develop, it may not be an exciting car to drive, but the reliability is amazing :).

The statistical probability of your house burning down is remote but you still have house insurance against it because of the risk/cost judgment. For me lexus servicing is the same, for example if your local garage offered you an add-on warranty for £8 per month might you consider it especially if they guaranteed you OEM parts? I recently had rear trailing arm replaced and very glad it was warranty covered. But like any investment depends entirely on your attitude to risk. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

The statistical probability of your house burning down is remote but you still have house insurance against it because of the risk/cost judgment. For me lexus servicing is the same, for example if your local garage offered you an add-on warranty for £8 per month might you consider it especially if they guaranteed you OEM parts? I recently had rear trailing arm replaced and very glad it was warranty covered. But like any investment depends entirely on your attitude to risk. 

I've kept an extended warranty going on my IS 300h - now over 7 years old and 113K miles. In that time I'm probably breakeven with the claims that have made against it (even Lexus go wrong sometimes). Even if I'd never made a claim I'd have been happy with the peace of mind. I'll probably run the car to 150K miles now and plan to retain and pay for the Extended Warranty until I can't take it out anymore. However appreciate that everyone has their own risk levels and personal circumstances as to the value of such a warranty to them. It's great that Lexus offer this to those who want it though. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

The statistical probability of your house burning down is remote but you still have house insurance against it because of the risk/cost judgment.

Actually we have house insurance because the mortgage company demands it, the only other insurance product we pay for it car insurance, again mandatory. 

I've seen how life can change in literally a second, money means little in the grand context of things, so paying for insurance is just a concept I just don't understand. 

2 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Actually we have house insurance because the mortgage company demands it, the only other insurance product we pay for it car insurance, again mandatory. 

I've seen how life can change in literally a second, money means little in the grand context of things, so paying for insurance is just a concept I just don't understand. 

I don't follow any of what you're saying. Money means little in the grand context of things? For that to be true, you either need vast amounts of it, or so little you don't care what you lose. But I bet you even the very rich buy insurance, because it's prudent risk management. Companies buy insurance. Insurance is protection, a hedging position if you like, against financially dramatic, potentially ruinous events. What is it you don't understand about that?

• Like 4

On 2/13/2022 at 8:28 AM, Phil xxkr said:

The statistical probability of your house burning down is remote but you still have house insurance against it because of the risk/cost judgment.

22 hours ago, ganzoom said:

I've seen how life can change in literally a second, money means little in the grand context of things, so paying for insurance is just a concept I just don't understand

19 hours ago, DBIZO said:

But I bet you even the very rich buy insurance, because it's prudent risk management.

Even I buy house and home insurance ........... my some 400 year old timber'ish cottage that's still standing ...... guess over the centuries the insurers have benefitted from the premiums paid by various owners ......  but hey, one goddam day this will maybe come home to roost and the insurance will be a boon ..........  my own risk/cost judgement comes into play ...........  I rarely roll the dice eh !

Just insure with a good reputable insurer who is honest, steadfast and reliable and will stand behind their promise to payout .......... 

We all have names of those we wouldn't ever touch again with a bargepole and those names we would welcome dealing with and who will stand behind you when things go belly-up !

Malc

and if this works for you 

Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty

and you're happy with the extent of cover, then I don't doubt for one moment that Lexus wouldn't put it's name to anything other than robust fair and honest people when claims arise

Malc

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 5:14 PM, ganzoom said:

Gang, and I mean this with no malice, but I have read quite a few threads on here where you appear to deliberately draw the ire of others with your comments, so I was just wondering why?

In this case, how did you think people would react to this statement?

I don't have house insurance because my mortgage company demand it.  I have house insurance because if my house burned down it would represent an unfathomable loss for me.  I would also have car insurance, even if it wasn't mandatory..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

I don't have house insurance because my mortgage company demand it.  I have house insurance because if my house burned down it would represent an unfathomable loss for me.  I would also have car insurance, even if it wasn't mandatory..

Agree 100%

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 7:44 PM, DBIZO said:

I don't follow any of what you're saying. Money means little in the grand context of things? For that to be true, you either need vast amounts of it, or so little you don't care what you lose. But I bet you even the very rich buy insurance, because it's prudent risk management. Companies buy insurance. Insurance is protection, a hedging position if you like, against financially dramatic, potentially ruinous events. What is it you don't understand about that?

Insurance just isn't my thing, don't get why people buy it and never will.

I guess we all have very different ideas about risk. 20 years ago I literally owned nothing, now we have more than enough to be comfortable. 

Insurance products isn't whats helped me improve my quality of life so far, so why would I start buying them now?

Edited by ganzoom
  • Like 1

it's brilliant that everyone has their own attitude to risk ......  keeps insurance premiums competitive for those buying it methinks

and if memory serves me right Gang, I don't believe you have to legally have car insurance provided you can offer the right level of assets to self-insure .....  and I guess holding those free assets in Trust with someone / business / solicitor whatever probably controlled by whatever .....  the ££££ figure is probably quite huge tho'

Maybe you'll explore this and let us know you've stopped paying conventional car insurance sometime soon ?

Bit like ATOL and Trust Monies held when you're going on holiday with a reputable company .  ATOL is Govt controlled of course

Malc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Malc said:

it's brilliant that everyone has their own attitude to risk ......  keeps insurance premiums competitive for those buying it methinks

and if memory serves me right Gang, I don't believe you have to legally have car insurance provided you can offer the right level of assets to self-insure .....  and I guess holding those free assets in Trust with someone / business / solicitor whatever probably controlled by whatever .....  the ££££ figure is probably quite huge tho'

Maybe you'll explore this and let us know you've stopped paying conventional car insurance sometime soon ?

Bit like ATOL and Trust Monies held when you're going on holiday with a reputable company .  ATOL is Govt controlled of course

Malc

My company used to self insure their cars so it's certainly possible in some cases - they found it cheaper overall than paying insurance premiums for the whole fleet - I would think other organisations do the same. And there's always 3rd party only insurance of course (though not always significantly cheaper than fully comp for the average run of the mill car). 

• Like 1