Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty

3 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

My company used to self insure their cars so it's certainly possible in some cases - they found it cheaper overall than paying insurance premiums for the whole fleet - I would think other organisations do the same. And there's always 3rd party only insurance of course (though not always significantly cheaper than fully comp for the average run of the mill car). 

Government Departments self insure.

Just now, Moleman said:

Government Departments self insure.

hahahahaha ............  we the taxpayer cover the costs then eh !   well of course, whichever way they pay the effective premium

Malc

31 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

for the MOD and was told they do too

can't imagine what Adrian Flux would quote for a fleet of tanks trundling around the streets :yahoo:

Malc

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Insurance just isn't my thing, don't get why people buy it and never will.

I guess we all have very different ideas about risk. 20 years ago I literally owned nothing, now we have more than enough to be comfortable. 

Insurance products isn't whats helped me improve my quality of life so far, so why would I start buying them now?

There is a difference between agreeing with and understanding a concept.

Do you see that most people cannot afford to rebuild their homes without financial assistance?  Do you also see that insurance gives that financial assistance.  Lastly, do you agree that a vast majority of people pay a significant sum to have a home as it is required?  If so, then the concept of insurance should an easy piece of logic 🙂

Insurance may not directly improve your quality of life, but if you were unable to rebuild your home after it was destroyed, how would that affect your quality of life?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Insurance just isn't my thing, don't get why people buy it and never will.

I guess we all have very different ideas about risk. 20 years ago I literally owned nothing, now we have more than enough to be comfortable. 

Insurance products isn't whats helped me improve my quality of life so far, so why would I start buying them now?

I can see to some extent where you are coming from as I had a grandfather who never ever took an insurance policy out in his life he did not have to other than by law (and that included on his house) - I believe the only policy he had was the minimum legal requirement on his cars. And of course insurance did not get you where you are today and neither did it me or anyone else.

I'm also not a big advocate for a lot of insurance but I am in a reasonable fortunate financial position. My view is that I insure what I can not afford to easily or quickly replace should it fail etc. That includes my house (buildings and content), cars and yacht - not just because it's a stipulation or legal requirement but because losing those would leave me in a difficult personal or financial situation should the worst happen (or a simply unnecessary position given the relatively small premiums involved). Likewise I insure myself against medical expenses when I travel abroad, especially to the USA as that again could be ruinous (at least for me) should I need extensive treatment, and I also have some life insurance to provide for my family in case of my untimely demise.

I choose the Extended Warranty (insurance) on my Lexus as cars do go wrong (I have now made two claims) and although I could have afforded those repairs, should a major component fail (and there are potential repairs that could be many thousands of pounds) it may leave me in a difficult (if not unsurmountable) financial position for a while. However, I personally draw the line at insuring for example my heating system, mobile phones etc. (other than what might be included in my house building/contents insurance) although I appreciate others like to have such items insured.

The level of acceptable risk is different for everyone and if you have the financial means to weather all of the storms that life throws at you then that is all well and good. But for those who do not, or indeed choose to offload some of that risk to an insurance company, then that is personal choice too and there is certainly nothing wrong in selecting what works for each of our own personal circumstances and which gives us our own peace of mind and lets us get on with our life without undue worry.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

There is a difference between agreeing with and understanding a concept.

Do you see that most people cannot afford to rebuild their homes without financial assistance?  Do you also see that insurance gives that financial assistance.  Lastly, do you agree that a vast majority of people pay a significant sum to have a home as it is required?  If so, then the concept of insurance should an easy piece of logic 🙂

Insurance may not directly improve your quality of life, but if you were unable to rebuild your home after it was destroyed, how would that affect your quality of life?

And not just homes Shahpor, would you go on holiday abroad without insurance? Or against theft, increasingly common that some sections of society think what is yours is theirs without having put the original effort in. Or life assurance, without it leaving your kin financially strapped. And so it goes on 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

I can see to some extent where you are coming from as I had a grandfather who never ever took an insurance policy out in his life he did not have to other than by law (and that included on his house) - I believe the only policy he had was the minimum legal requirement on his cars. And of course insurance did not get you where you are today and neither did it me or anyone else.

I'm also not a big advocate for a lot of insurance but I am in a reasonable fortunate financial position. My view is that I insure what I can not afford to easily or quickly replace should it fail etc. That includes my house (buildings and content), cars and yacht - not just because it's a stipulation or legal requirement but because losing those would leave me in a difficult personal or financial situation should the worst happen (or a simply unnecessary position given the relatively small premiums involved). Likewise I insure myself against medical expenses when I travel abroad, especially to the USA as that again could be ruinous (at least for me) should I need extensive treatment, and I also have some life insurance to provide for my family in case of my untimely demise.

I choose the Extended Warranty (insurance) on my Lexus as cars do go wrong (I have now made two claims) and although I could have afforded those repairs, should a major component fail (and there are potential repairs that could be many thousands of pounds) it may leave me in a difficult (if not unsurmountable) financial position for a while. However, I personally draw the line at insuring for example my heating system, mobile phones etc. (other than what might be included in my house building/contents insurance) although I appreciate others like to have such items insured.

The level of acceptable risk is different for everyone and if you have the financial means to weather all of the storms that life throws at you then that is all well and good. But for those who do not, or indeed choose to offload some of that risk to an insurance company, then that is personal choice too and there is certainly nothing wrong in selecting what works for each of our own personal circumstances and which gives us our own peace of mind and lets us get on with our life without undue worry.

You beat me to it 🥳

• Like 1

Not being able to understand why people buy insurance is like not being able to understand wear bike helmets. A good one will cost you significant money, and if you're lucky, you'll never need testing it. There are only two logical ways out of this - if someone takes the view that the probability of a major accident is ultra low, converging to zero; or when someone considers the consequences, however dire, acceptable.

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2021 at 11:30 AM, wharfhouse said:

It is only available for vehicles that are between 10 and 15 years old and/or 100,000 and 150,000 miles – Relax extended warranty automatically applies to all cars under 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles

Sorry to be late catching up on this subject.

My existing extended warranty on 2013 Rx450 will run out at eight and half years of age

Will I have to rely on the inferior Relax 12 month warranty on my vehicle for eighteen months until it is 10 years old,  before I can go back onto the more inclusive

extended warranty?.

Your advice and input greatly appreciated

3 minutes ago, stepheneric said:

Sorry to be late catching up on this subject.

My existing extended warranty on 2013 Rx450 will run out at eight and half years of age

Will I have to rely on the inferior Relax 12 month warranty on my vehicle for eighteen months until it is 10 years old,  before I can go back onto the more inclusive

extended warranty?.

Your advice and input greatly appreciated

If you have done less than 100k miles then yes, you will be on the Relax warranty until the car reaches either 10 years old or 100k miles whichever comes first. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

If you have done less than 100k miles then yes, you will be on the Relax warranty until the car reaches either 10 years old or 100k miles whichever comes first. 

Many thanks for prompt reply. My car is presently seven and half years with 80,000 miles. So looks as though will have to hope no problems in the eighteen months.

2 minutes ago, stepheneric said:

Many thanks for prompt reply. My car is presently seven and half years with 80,000 miles. So looks as though will have to hope no problems in the eighteen months.

Hopefully if you have any problems they will be covered by the Relax warranty. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Does anyone know if a car is out of warranty and more than 10 years old, can it be put onto the extended plan? Or can the extended plan only be used as a continuation of an existing warranty? 

Many thanks 

26 minutes ago, Docp said:

Hi All

Does anyone know if a car is out of warranty and more than 10 years old, can it be put onto the extended plan? Or can the extended plan only be used as a continuation of an existing warranty? 

Many thanks 

I think you may have to ask Lexus about those specific circumstances - I would think that you'd need a full Lexus service first to check all is in good shape as a minimum and for an Extended Warranty to remain valid the car has to continue to be serviced by Lexus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Docp said:

Hi All

Many thanks 

This particular question should be asked of Lexus and its answer committed to writing.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:30 AM, wharfhouse said:

Following previous discussions about Lexus Relax and Extended Warranty I have started this new thread with my current experience with the Extended Warranty. 

My current Extended Warranty on my Lexus IS 300h is due to expire early November. After the announcement of Relax (and the removal of the Extended Warranty from the Lexus website) I had spoken to Jemca (who I use for all my Lexus requirements) a few months ago and they had confirmed that an Extended Warranty will still exist for cars that fall outside Relax.

My car is a 2014 registration IS 300h that has now done just under 108,000 miles and so this week I called Jemca to discuss an Extended Warranty. Here is what is on offer comparing the T&Cs of a new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty with the old Extended Warranty I currently have in place:

• The new warranty is called Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty
  • It is for approved Lexus vehicles up to 15 years old, subject to 150,000 mileage limit - the old Extended Warranty was for approved Lexus vehicles up to 10 years old and 140,000 miles, so the new extended warranty covers vehicles for longer in this respect
  • It is only available for vehicles that are between 10 and 15 years old and/or 100,000 and 150,000 miles – Relax extended warranty automatically applies to all cars under 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles
  • The 2-4-1 offer is not available on the new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty – only one year at a time - the cost for my IS 300h is £474 for one year (the old one was £795 for two years), it can be paid either up front or in 10 interest free monthly instalments
  • The car must still be serviced to schedule by a franchised Lexus dealer (as per the old extended warranty)
  • It still includes the Lexus Roadside Assistance same as the old one did (note that Relax extended warranty does not include Lexus Roadside Assistance)
  • The company that provides the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty and ultimately pays all valid claims made under it is Toyota (GB) PLC (Lexus Division), and the administrator of the warranty is TWG Services Limited – this is all the same as the old one
  • It doesn’t include the MoT testing fee (though I understand some of the old extended warranty didn’t either, although mine did include two MoT test fees)
  • In Excluded Parts for the new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty it specifically lists “Multi media components or in car entertainment systems, including but not limited to satellite navigation, CD/DVD systems, audio visual equipment and Bluetooth connectivity. Components will be covered under the Warranty if the failure results in the non-operation of an essential vehicle system, eg, air conditioning controls, heated screen operation and the parking assistance system.” - this is an additional exclusion in the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty and as per previous forum discussion it mirrors the exclusion in the Relax extended warranty - I wonder whether it may be due to owners trying to do map updates themselves (that are the “dealer only” updates according to Lexus) or other modifications and bricking the system? – otherwise seems a strange exclusion and has been specifically added for both Relax and this new Extended Warranty

Comparing the T&Cs of the old Extended Warranty and the new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty clause by clause, then other than a few minor changes in wording (usually to clarify things) this is everything I could deduce.

On that basis I have gone ahead and taken out the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty on my IS 300h for the coming year. Although slightly more expensive that the old extended warranty I still think it’s value for money considering the age/mileage of my car and the fact it includes the Lexus Roadside Assistance which would be £125 if purchased separately (and my wife’s car also benefits from the free partner included with this). I have made successful claims on the Extended Warranty previously and so know that Lexus parts / labour can be expensive.

I hope this helps others in similar position to myself - first point of contact to discuss further is probably your local franchised dealer. As always, I appreciate whether or not to take an Extended Warranty is a choice based on personal circumstances – it suits me but YMMV.

An excellent Posting Phil which If I`m not mistaken largely reflects one you have written previously.

My only question on this current Posting concerns the content of your final Bullet Point and in particular the statement contained within the second sentence.

Are you saying that a failure within the Multimedia System which impacts the performance of an operating essential vehicle system (eg air con ) is included within the new 10 year plus warranty ?

I ask this because in the next few words  you refer to "this is an additional exclusion". Can you clarify please ? It maybe as simple as the word "not" having been excluded from somewhere.

Thanks Phil.

I have stated several times that the proof of the validity of the new RELAX WARRANTY will be in the number of successful claims which are made. To date I am not aware of a single successful claim having been made. Are you, or is anyone else ? 

12 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Are you saying that a failure within the Multimedia System which impacts the performance of an operating essential vehicle system (eg air con ) is included within the new 10 year plus warranty ?

That would be my reading of the wording - the words are taken directly from my 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty. 

13 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I ask this because in the next few words  you refer to "this is an additional exclusion". Can you clarify please ? It maybe as simple as the word "not" having been excluded from somewhere.

I meant this the exclusion on the Multimedia system in the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty is additional to the old Extended Warranty T&Cs (which did not exclude the Multimedia system). 

Hope that makes it clearer. 

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

That would be my reading of the wording - the words are taken directly from my 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty. 

I meant this the exclusion on the Multimedia system in the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty is additional to the old Extended Warranty T&Cs (which did not exclude the Multimedia system). 

Hope that makes it clearer. 

Thanks Phil. I will check the understanding of Lexus Chester before I take up the offer of the new 10 year plus Extended Warranty.

Have you heard of any successful claims yet under the RELAX WARRANTY ?

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Phil. I will check the understanding of Lexus Chester before I take up the offer of the new 10 year plus Extended Warranty.

Have you heard of any successful claims yet under the RELAX WARRANTY ?

No, I haven't personally heard of anything being claimed under the Relax warranty to date, only the odd post on this forum. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Docp said:

Hi All

Many thanks 

In my case the car was out of warranty and they happily put it onto the 10 year plus extended warrranty.

Warranty is conditional on future servicing being with Lexus.  Not sure if it needs prior full Lexus service history, but think the dealer needs to inspect/approve the car.

As others have said, the only way to know for sure is to ask a dealer. That said, not all dealers appear to be clued up on it. I had to get Lexus UK to email details to my dealer, as they didn't know it existed.

• Like 2

On the issue of RELAX being successfully usedI had the dreaded issue of the Tailgate not opening whilst on holiday in Ireland last October Herbie kindly helped with potential issues, nevertheless I could not get it to function.

Took into Chalfont Motor Company one of the authorised Lexus / Toyota garages & they reset it & cleared the fault, didn't realise at the time the garage put it through RELAX, it showed up as a repair on Lexus link.

April this year the same issue occurred, again they tried  reset to no avail, the Power unit Assembley was replaced under RELAX. Quite painless only issue was the liaison between the garage & Lexus UK to confirm the coverage this over a couple of days.

I haven't seen the final cost ( will ask at the next service in September for invoice ) but 6 hours Labour plus the part the garage had mentioned circa £!500.

All in all very pleased with this outcome on a nine and a half years old RX.

As an aside I clarified with Lexus UK when my coverage of RELAX would expire, car goes for service 2/9/22 & will be 10 years old 13/12/22, Lexus UK confirmed in writing that RELAX will expire 2/9/23 so the RELAX will last until the car is just shy of 10 years 9 months old.At this stage I will look for the Extended Warranty.

All things considered RELAX has worked out extremely well & may have been the difference between changing my beloved RX !!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frank the Hornet said:

On the issue of RELAX being successfully usedI had the dreaded issue of the Tailgate not opening..........

Good to hear of a successful outcome. That's the only issue I'm thinking might occur on my 2014 RX, and like you I'll look to move over to the extended warranty at 10+ years old.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links