Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS 400 1995 instrument cluster

Help!! 

I am in desperate need of a replacement instrument cluster for my 1995 Lexus LS400. 

I sent my damaged one to Autotronics in Leicester but they've just phoned to say they can't repair it and I need the exact part number to replace it. I've searched the Internet and cannot find one with EXACTLY the same serial number. 

The part number I need is:

83010-50650

If I can't get one my car will have to be scrapped or dismantled for parts. 

Of course, if anyone here can advise on whether a similar part number is compatible that would be great. 

Really hope someone here can help. If my car has to go I will be SO upset. 

Best wishes. 

Mole

07956 183030 

mole@moreorlesseverything.co.uk 

What exactly is the problem with your cluster? As you may be aware even Lexus electronics have age related issues. Mine was a classic example and it took me several months to find the exact replacement. Also, the part number is in two parts, the second part of which I found is crucial. Most issues are related to the electrolytic capacitors, of which were are 12 on my cluster. Another problem is that the speedometer and tachometer needles can be reluctant to move, but I discovered a fix for that. In any event, don't give up yet!

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. The exact problems are that the speedo is registering about 11 mph less than it should and the temp gauge is not moving. I've now tried Autotronics in Leicester and AC Tronics in Colchester. Unfortunately neither have my model on their systems anymore so don't have "looms and wiring" to properly diagnose the issues. Also, I've been advised by 3 separate parties now that it must be EXACTLY the same component serial number, so these other LS400s advertised won't necessarily be compatible. 

When the problem with the speedo first manifested, the needle would not move until a sharp tap on the dash released it. But now, as I say, when it does move the calibration is out. 

Don't know whether I should just put the cluster back in and keep an eye on the temperature and watch my speed like a hawk to avoid a ticket. 

Mole

BBA reman appear to have mixed reviews but mainly good, it is a company I’ve heard of before and IIRC offer a “ lifetime warranty” on repaired items.

The instrument cluster is probably the only part where Lexus actually sold individual parts for it like the PCB and speedometer unit albeit at their usual prices!

96E50CB4-858C-4006-922E-B38BECF96A32.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Monsieur Olé said:

The exact problems are that the speedo is registering about 11 mph less than it should

Aha, this has only very recently developed a s a manageable fault on mine .............. c'mon now, it's not an MOT Advisory or issue .. the car isn't moved during the MOT .............  you now know it's about 11mph " wrong " most of the time so just remember that whilst driving and if you're very worried just hang behind other motorists ...........  don't your senses let you know what speed you're doing ?  .....  mine seem to :wink3:

You might get someone somewhere to actually fix it fully BUT for me anyway, it certainly isn't an issue to scrap the car for

If you get the Rochester guys to fix the problem please please do let us know. I live close to there and would go to them if it's all positive for you

Best wishes

Malc

I have a spare cluster which might yield a working speedometer, although I haven't tested the cluster because I bought the wrong one! I am assuming the problem is with the needle mechanism and not the circuit board or elsewhere, such as whatever sends the signal.

Unfortunately the temperature gauge is damaged on that cluster but your problem could be one or more electrolytic capacitors, although I am no expert.

I did try several instrument cluster repairers to get my faulty cluster repaired, but drew a blank. Hopefully you will have more success.

Good luck!

I’m not surprised repairers of these clusters are few and far between when you consider the technology involved.

The speedometer and tachometer needles are driven by 4 pole synchronous motors with the sine wave signal being converted to a PWM  drive signal. All this to ensure the needles don’t bounce around whilst driving.

A bit of light reading 😀

35D313F9-E7D8-4117-A313-D20B237D982D.png

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Howplum said:

I have a spare cluster which might yield a working speedometer, although I haven't tested the cluster because I bought the wrong one! I am assuming the problem is with the needle mechanism and not the circuit board or elsewhere, such as whatever sends the signal.

Unfortunately the temperature gauge is damaged on that cluster but your problem could be one or more electrolytic capacitors, although I am no expert.

I did try several instrument cluster repairers to get my faulty cluster repaired, but drew a blank. Hopefully you will have more success.

Good luck!

Thank you. Let's see how BBA Reman work out. I'll keep you posted. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!! 

As you may recall, my instrument cluster on my 1995 LS400 developed some faults, namely the speedo and temp gauge stopped working. It's taken some time but BBA Reman in Rochester have sorted it all out! They posted it back to my garage yesterday and I picked up the car today. Whoopee!! Back on the road, wind in my hair and able to observe actual speed limits again.

And the cost of repair?

£60 + VAT! 

Such a relief to find possibly the only UK outfit able to offer this service and at such an amazingly reasonable price. I thoroughly recommend these guys. 

BBA Reman. 01634 687222.

Thanks for your helpful and encouraging words on here. And @Malc, horndean.et me know how YOU get on. 

Mole

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That is a great result and many thanks for the update and recommendation, very good price too!

Mine was reading low on the speedometer and after a lot of DIY detective work I replaced the KMH to MPH convertor (import model) which cured the fault.

Hey guys, just got up their website on google ..  care tho, it's  " unsecure " so it says on madam google

http://www.bba-reman.com/gb/index.aspx

Looks quite impressive for sure ..  can't quite make out the address to actually visit BUT I shall do so as Rochester is my normal stamping ground for coffees, light lunches etc ......... a Cathedral City no less ...  about a 30 min country drive away or even a 30 min harassed drive thru local towns etc 

My speedo is sure a pain in the neck still, sometimes not moving off stationary even with a " tap " and then the 10 mph behind and then seemingly catching-up to ok mph at some time a little later .  it's a " hoot " for sure :whistling:

Thank you Mole

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links