Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS430 LPG causing condensation on sat nav dvd drive

Hi All just wanted to share a issue I had recently with my LS430 running on LPG. I have a boot LPG tank where the spare wheel should be and also a plastic aftermarket boot liner. This combination has caused the condensation that is naturally generated from the gas tank to get trapped under the boot liner. This in winter months then stop the dvd drive from working correctly. I know lift the right side of the plastic boot liner to let a little air circulate this resolves the problem. I do not have any leaks or issues it is purely that when the gas tank is used it generates condensation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Matthew and welcome to the LOC.

Even better is you come in with your first post and it’s great information (usually a question)

Could you not perhaps mount a PC fan, ignition fed, in the cover to get some constant airflow when driving?

That's a curious situation.  I can't recall any condensation around the Toroidal in my Mercedes fitted with LPG. 

Where does it get sufficient heat to create condensation?  Why use a Plastic Boot liner?  How does it affect the DVD drive? Only having CD but  I assume the DVD drive is in the Boot unit the Drivers Side? 

You sure you don't have a leak somewhere in your rubber Boot lid Seal?  Corner would be the place to look. Also, could it be your Sunroof is blocked and its getting into the Car that way?  I've had water in the Wing side area.

Looked on the LPG forum and no thread titled "condensation" appear.  You could ask there if you are convinced it is condensation. 

Nothing of a heat nature is generated when LPG in fluid form travels forward to the Solenoid up front, as far as I know.

Good luck with your research.  Daresay you've checked to see if any other thread on this forum with an LPG issue.  Quite a few Members have LPG  

Hi 

Thanks for the responses. Boot is dry no leaks but whenever you use a gas bottle it gets cold and attracts condensation. Could remove the boot liner but it keeps the boot clean. 

Thanks Matt

7 hours ago, Cockneymatt said:

Hi 

Thanks for the responses. Boot is dry no leaks but whenever you use a gas bottle it gets cold and attracts condensation. Could remove the boot liner but it keeps the boot clean. 

Thanks Matt

You talk of using a "Gas Bottle" could you explain as I have this picture of you putting a Calor Gas bottle in your boot, as for the condensation problem, I have had our family cars modified to use LPG for the last 25 + years and never had a problem with condensation.

Sounds to me like the cause is your plastic boot liner that is not allowing the evaporation of the small amount of condensation that the LPG tank produces.
If the condensation is puddling in the spare wheel well, then the drain at the bottom of it may be clogged.

On 10/24/2021 at 8:36 AM, Cockneymatt said:

Hi 

Thanks Matt

Matt, I use LPG Bottles for various purposes in a non centrally heated house and I've not seen any condensation on the bottles.  If condensation were an issue it would drip off the bottles on to Carpeting or whatever as the bottle is partly exposed at the back. Even with the severest weather and a room down to 7.00 degrees in Winter  I've not seen condensation drips when the Gas is used. As Phil says, the Boot is ventilated but mainly to take air out, I imagine.  The Plastic you mention might sweat but how does this account for a problem inside the DVD Player.  Are the DVD's seen to be wet when ejected? 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links