Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300H Build Thread

Subtronics

Done a few bits to the Lexus since I got it about 12 months ago, so thought I'd put together a quick build thread. 

Shortly after getting the car I had a problem with the head gasket, which was a very expensive repair. Not the actual repair Lexus did that cheap, but I spent a lot of time and money getting it diagnosed. So didn't get to do much other than keep it on the road for the first few months. 

Here is a pic of it as I got it after a bit of a clean.

769023213_LexusIS300h.png

So I did put some aftermarket wheels on pretty quickly, but I didn't really like them. They would suit an older car, but the new lines on the Lexus just didn't work and I don't think the ride height helped. 

Side on.jpg

So summer time came and I needed to get ready for MOT time. The rear shocks we shot, especially the rear passenger side. Rather than pay 200+ a corner for new Lexus kit, I splashed out on some Tein Flex Z coilovers. The rear brakes we also in need of replacing and although the fronts had plenty of life, I thought replace them all and get it done and out the way. Also did an oil, air and cabin filer change. The water pump and spark plugs had been done while it was in bits sorting head gasket. So it is now up to date with servicing. 

20210819_103706.jpg

20210824_100245.jpg

20210825_082929.jpg

I fitted all this stuff myself, but I couldn't get the rear springs in, looks like the whole rear arms need to come off. I have got spring compressors, but it looks like its a specific tool required to keep them from flying off and causing pain and injury! 

The ride quality of the Tein's is second to non, I have them installed in any car I own, they are fantastic! Couldn't rate them anymore highly and all my mates get sick of my banging on about them until they drive it! 

Since fitting I took the car on a 375mile round trip to Scotland, it hasn't lost any of the comfort, but handles the road like a dream. Compliant and composed, not soft and floaty like the normal Exec shocks. Loved the roads and the car really proved itself.

Final update for today. My trip to Scotland mentioned above were for these wheels. When I first bought the car I wondered if these wheels would look good and wish I had done for them straight away. They are the forged Rays 18" wheels from a 350z. These are exactly what I was looking for too, with the little dimples smoothed out. Managed to pick up the full set for 400quid including tyres fronts are brand new rainsports. 

I am tempted to change the colour on them, as the refurb isn't the best. But won't do that until after winter if I do at all. The rears have the wrong size tyres on, they are a 8.5J rim with 225/40/18 tyres. I am going to do some investigation to get some better fitting tyres. I think the FSport wheels are the same size at the back, so might try an OEM size. 

I am going to measure the clearance on the front bumper on the car over the speed bumps on the way into my estate. If I can, I'm going to drop the front down 5-10mm, but only if it doesn't catch. The car does a lot of miles, I use it for work and have kids, so it needs to be functional too. 

Next on the list is painting the calipers (thinking silver), and then interior. The car has done nearly 130k and shows every single one of them inside. I'd also like a rear lip spoiler for the boot and maybe an FSport front end. But we'll see what budget allows. 

20211017_110907.JPG

20211017_110913.JPG

20211017_110920.JPG

20211017_110927.JPG

20211017_110936.JPG

20211019_172435.JPG

20211019_172501.JPG

Nice car James but what surprised me is that your car needed a new head gasket. How many miles was on the car when the job was done? What were the signs that it had gone? 

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Nice car James but what surprised me is that your car needed a new head gasket. How many miles was on the car when the job was done? What were the signs that it had gone? 

Thanks. It was a tough one to diagnose because no garage would touch it. Lexus themselves had it several times and first blames a faulty rad cap. 

It would overheat and push all the coolant up into the header tank and then boil over. I did waterpump and thermostat to start with and then EGR cooler, all Lexus parts which cost a fortune. There is a thread on it somewhere. Lexus in the end did the right thing and sorted it cheap. But they said it was the first in the UK and possible Europe that had gone. I bought the car cheap, with it being a bit rough around the edges, thinking I would do the bits up myself to tidy it up, not realising it actually must have had a really hard life. It had done 115K when I got it and I put 1500miles on before head gasket went. I bought it off a garage I wouldn't have trusted to do a decent job on repairing it, so took the hit myself.

Very nice and clean, what's up next the body or Keeping it more or less stock? I'm saving for big brake kit like from the GS 450h Advics 4 piston calipers they bolt on fronts on IS only need different rotors I believe.

Thanks HellaF, yeah, the overall aim is an OEM+ look. I'd like to do something with the grill at the front, I just can't believe that someone hasn't created a FSport looking grill for the lower models. I can imagine it would sell well. I don't think the body needs much to make it look great though, its got awesome lines. Defo on the look out for a little spoiler for the rear, but a lot of the eBay ones look either a bit chunky or a bit small. There is a Tom's full carbon bootlid with duck bill, that looks awesome! But its about a grand! 

Yes, the front brake swap is just down to rotors and calipers, I thought about it myself, but the brakes are so good in mine with oem discs and pads. I just couldn't bring myself to go through the hassle of replacing the calipers. Going to give mine a lick of paint though at some point.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links