Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

screen wash liquid

Hello to everyone winter screen wash liquid . I am using Preston concentrate

£8 for 5 litre which I dilute for the season it was an Autoexpress  best buy . What are you using . Thank you 

BE275587-588C-4DD9-BF58-51CA8B177C52.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m still using a 5ltr bottle of Shell screen wash that I bought at a vastly inflated price when I was filling up with petrol a couple of years ago. Seems perfectly acceptable and doesn’t need to be diluted.

• Like 1

I use the premixed blue stuff in 5 litre containers as supplied by my ex employer which I genuinely forgot to return when I left. 😀

This got me thinking about the contents of this stuff and after searching Dr.Google it would appear than the main constituents in this stuff are water and ethanol.

Ethanol eh, now doesn’t this same stuff apparently damage rubber components within the fuel system if they are not ethanol resistant. So what about the seals in the washer pump and the pipes to the jets? Are all these already ethanol resistant on all cars irrespective of age?

CD945F3E-AC8B-44A9-86F5-5DC7025B70E3.jpeg

Steve2006 good point I'll await the reply's . I've never had any problems with any screen wash only an advisory from the store guy at bmw saying headlight washers need a different screen top liquid do to there very small nozzle ( that's a 2011 bmw d 530) back in the day 1968 ish cars didn't have screen washers fitted I remember my late wife with a washing up bottle hand out the window squirting a mixture of washing up liquid and water on the windscreen  of our A35 car  as we were travelling along at 40 miles an hour ,and a gallon of petrol was 3 Bob a gallon er 30p . I have attached a Austin A35 photo . I love the internet . Tack care everyone 

608E8946-1B8D-4191-A286-C59F08DDDBF3.jpeg

0C888FE3-0692-41D1-98AE-85853D2D007F.jpeg

• Like 1

I have used Fairy Liquid for about 30 years and it has always done the job perfectly.

Not cheap washing up liquids mind you, only genuine Fairy.

All the others purporting to be windscreen wash are like BMW cars, over-rated and definitely over-priced.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marlinleg said:

Steve2006 good point I'll await the reply's . I've never had any problems with any screen wash only an advisory from the store guy at bmw saying headlight washers need a different screen top liquid do to there very small nozzle ( that's a 2011 bmw d 530) back in the day 1968 ish cars didn't have screen washers fitted I remember my late wife with a washing up bottle hand out the window squirting a mixture of washing up liquid and water on the windscreen  of our A35 car  as we were travelling along at 40 miles an hour ,and a gallon of petrol was 3 Bob a gallon er 30p . I have attached a Austin A35 photo . I love the internet . Tack care everyone 

608E8946-1B8D-4191-A286-C59F08DDDBF3.jpeg

0C888FE3-0692-41D1-98AE-85853D2D007F.jpeg

Yay that brings back some memories, my Dad had an A35 in grey 490 DAU, the indicator is the black and cream knob on the dash. The big end started knocking and it cost him £20.00 for the rebuild, parts and labour.

• Like 1

I have continued to favour BMW’s Original Windscreen Wash, ready mixed, during the twenty years since I last had one of their cars.  Other brands may work just as well or even better, e.g. Rain-X, but nothing beats the slightly clinical BMW smell. 

• Haha 2

On 10/29/2021 at 4:52 PM, TV10RAD said:

I have used Fairy Liquid for about 30 years and it has always done the job perfectly.

Not cheap washing up liquids mind you, only genuine Fairy.

All the others purporting to be windscreen wash are like BMW cars, over-rated and definitely over-priced.

^^ I’m not sure using washing-up liquid will be doing your paintwork any favours!! 

On 10/27/2021 at 12:33 PM, Al D-Much said:

Concentrate?
Who has time to muck about diluting correctly?

Wilkos 5L screen wash £2.50 , just pour it straight in, job done. 

Me too!

On 10/27/2021 at 12:33 PM, Al D-Much said:

Concentrate?
Who has time to muck about diluting correctly?

Wilkos 5L screen wash £2.50 , just pour it straight in, job done. 

Natural mineral water cost .90€ 5L. Does not need to be mixed with anything. Just pour it in. It tastes well and I'm sure the car like it.

Tap water here is desalted sea-water so not nice to drink. OK to wash in. 

billede.thumb.png.ae196e962d026bdd7c32d21c9c93c45e.png

On 10/29/2021 at 5:59 PM, steve2006 said:

Yay that brings back some memories, my Dad had an A35 in grey 490 DAU, the indicator is the black and cream knob on the dash. The big end started knocking and it cost him £20.00 for the rebuild, parts and labour.

That A35 has trafficators as they were called (not indicators) by the look of it.

14 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

A whole thread devoted to what type of washer fluid people use. It all happens on here doesn’t it 😉🤣🤣🤣

Surely the subject is worth a conference of world leaders or at least be put on the agenda.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

On my A30, I had heated washers! I coiled some copper brake pipe around the top hose and intercepted the plastic tube between the bottle and washers. 

I think ... my Soarer also had heated washers.

3 hours ago, paulrnx said:

A whole thread devoted to what type of washer fluid people use. It all happens on here doesn’t it 😉🤣🤣🤣

It gets better than that, both my Japanese imports have not one but 2 washer bottles.

One should contain the washer fluid mix which is used first then the second one plain water to do the rinse all at 20c with no spin cycle.

Calgon is optional along with rinse aid and Dettox, the best thing to use for better radio reception is Ariel pods.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Surely the subject is worth a conference of world leaders or at least be put on the agenda.

I hear it’s been added to the agenda for the COP26 summit too

• Like 1
  • Haha 1