Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cigars

PCM

21 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

…. cigars rolled on the thighs of beautiful Cuban girls....or is that just a myth! 

I have heard that the thighs in question are more likely to be so tough and wrinkled that you can strike a match for your cigar on them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, PCM said:

Does anyone here smoke the occasional cigar?

I don't ( don't smoke ) but quite fancy trying one...  ( mid-life crisis? )

Used to have one or two as most smokers do / did (now a long term ex smoker)

As you say a mid life crisis that should of course be forgotten about as quickly as possible as "why" would you ever wish to go down this road especially in this day & age. 

IMO of course (well you did ask)

• Like 1

King Edward Imperial. Nowt wrong with a midlife crisis. This cigar is wonderful. Nit had one in ruddy years but I can still remember it's loveliness. 

Reading this thread makes me think of getting a pack out of just for the sake of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

No, no, the smell of food is fine, I'm salivating at the thought! And I concede that Sherlock Holmes without a pipe is simply wrong! I'm concerned that Piers will get over stimulated when he discovers cigars rolled on the thighs of beautiful Cuban girls....or is that just a myth! 

Never quite sure if they are a myth or a mythis or is that now mythz 😅 or just a communist plot! 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

King Edward Imperial. Nowt wrong with a midlife crisis. This cigar is wonderful. Nit had one in ruddy years but I can still remember it's loveliness. 

Reading this thread makes me think of getting a pack out of just for the sake of it.

Big Teds, a great cigar. Made by Swishers who also did an X70 panatella dipped in rum and molasses5🥳

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The-Acre said:

And don't forget the smoking jacket and cravat, plus you may need a drawing room!

Ironically... we do have a Drawing Room.

• Like 1

Smoked Ciggy's until I was twenty and then moved onto a Pipe because the other guys in my Office used to smoke them. Three Nuns preferred. It was out more than alight. Kept the Match industry going!  Gave it up after a couple of years but very rarely have a pipe of Black Cherry now renamed Golden Blend Number 2.  Sweet smell.

Love the occasional Cigar.  Son, on a couple of trips used to bring back from Nicaragua a box of 25 "Joya de Nicaragua - Classico" which were wonderful Cigars. At a Yard sale I was offered a Box of random Cigars and bought for a Tenner.  There was an assorted number but something like 10 King Edwards, six Romeo Y Juilieta. a Bering Monster,  Two five packs Jamaican Cheroots, a Corps Diplomatique, a Robert Burns Black Watch and a Montecristo. All Tubes, with the exception of the King Edwards which came cellophane wrapped in their 25 box.  As Cigar afficianado's will know the cost of a Montecristo is way above a Tenner. Never heard of a Robert Burns Cigar before.

Anyway, they had been kept in a cool place and I'm very slowly wading through and gifting them. I enjoy just say half an inch with a Coffee on the odd day. Won't smoke outside as any wind spoils the flavour. I frugally store the part burnt Cigar in a Tube in the Fridge until the next lighting. Seems to act as a Humidor. 

When you've smoked Cigarettes and given up, just a whiff of Cigarette smoke seems to choke the senses.

BTW Phil I wear a Cravat during Winter months. Yes just a sweet old fashioned Boy with a Pierre Cardin Tweed style Jacket and Cord Trousers.   lol.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Rabbers said:

a  popular brand of cheroots described as resembling that of camel suppositories

It used to be said of Camel cigarettes that they were one of the few brands with a picture of the factory on the pack.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Without knowing how accurate the analogy might be, I once heard the odour of a  popular brand of cheroots described as resembling that of camel suppositories, and I have imagined ever since that a remedy for tobacco-related smells in cars could well be found among tent-dwellers  such as the Bedouin.

I suspect you mean "deposits" rather than suppositories?   It was advertised as Toasted Tobacco as I recall and had a pack bought for me in France by my Father when as a Teenager he took me on a four day 2500 mile business tour in a brand new Ford Cortina GT.  Quite liked Camel Cigarettes, not as astingrent as your normal brands. Thank G.  he didn't buy me Gauloires!  The tail end of a Cortina is in this photo of the period but for some reason gets cropped when I Post it.   Never saw another whilst in France at the time.

Gendarmes Car Rally 1960.jpg

First of all if you are not a smoker, please do not start, it can be a slippery slope. I was quite a avid pipe and cigar smoker for some time, went to cigarettes and now backing off by vaping. If you ever see a blue LS that looks like it’s on fire, don’t worry that would be just me vaping.

Now if you are determined to try, I would highly recommend that if you ever are in London to visit James J. Fox on St James’ Street. The whole team will help guide you through your first cigar experience according to your individual needs. They even have a indoor sampling lounge there, so you have somewhere nice to enjoy your cigar.

If you’re not in London, and don’t intend to visit. Then let please feel free to message me if you’re still interested, and I am happy to share what knowledge I do have. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Smoked Ciggy's until I was twenty and then moved onto a Pipe because the other guys in my Office used to smoke them. Three Nuns preferred. It was out more than alight. Kept the Match industry going!  Gave it up after a couple of years but very rarely have a pipe of Black Cherry now renamed Golden Blend Number 2.  Sweet smell.

Love the occasional Cigar.  Son, on a couple of trips used to bring back from Nicaragua a box of 25 "Joya de Nicaragua - Classico" which were wonderful Cigars. At a Yard sale I was offered a Box of random Cigars and bought for a Tenner.  There was an assorted number but something like 10 King Edwards, six Romeo Y Juilieta. a Bering Monster,  Two five packs Jamaican Cheroots, a Corps Diplomatique, a Robert Burns Black Watch and a Montecristo. All Tubes, with the exception of the King Edwards which came cellophane wrapped in their 25 box.  As Cigar afficianado's will know the cost of a Montecristo is way above a Tenner. Never heard of a Robert Burns Cigar before.

Anyway, they had been kept in a cool place and I'm very slowly wading through and gifting them. I enjoy just say half an inch with a Coffee on the odd day. Won't smoke outside as any wind spoils the flavour. I frugally store the part burnt Cigar in a Tube in the Fridge until the next lighting. Seems to act as a Humidor. 

When you've smoked Cigarettes and given up, just a whiff of Cigarette smoke seems to choke the senses.

BTW Phil I wear a Cravat during Winter months. Yes just a sweet old fashioned Boy with a Pierre Cardin Tweed style Jacket and Cord Trousers.   lol.   

Ditto Stuart, although I prefer self-tie bows in the winter. Having said that I recently bought a selection of Western scarves and they are much more preferable to having an open neck casual shirt and learning to tie a Buckaroo knot 🤠

• Like 2

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

I suspect you mean "deposits" rather than suppositories?  …

I know what you mean but no, my allusion was specifically to suppositories of the bullet-shaped variety, and the comparison was with a particularly cheap and malodorous form of Italian cheroot called “Toscani”, manufactured and marketed by the State Tobacco Monopoly, I suspect without scrupulous quality controls.  I smoked these for a brief period in the hope that their disgusting flavour and aroma would help to make me give up smoking altogether.  The comparison with camel suppositories was made by  a colleague of mine who had been stationed in various Middle Eastern countries and therefore claimed some expertise on the subject.  He said my office smelled like a camel farm, a claim I was unable to contradict.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Fantastic buy, I remember trying RYJ's to replace cigarettes but it became ruiningly expensive as 1 a day became 2 and then 3 😱

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2021 at 12:47 PM, Las Palmas said:

Cigarette smoke is the worst, some cigars are not smelling all that offensive; an old friend smoked pipe with something that was smelling like Lapsang Souchong Tea.

Lapsang Souchong Tea certainly has the appearance of tobacco and can easily block your drains if tipped in the sink. Choking if smoked, I imagine.  Apparantly it was the Tea of the 18th Century or very similar. I bought several repro Tins of it at the Bicentenary 1776 Exhibition at Greenwich.  Described as a Match to that which was jettisoned at Boston.  A good strong flavour without a doubt.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

to that which was jettisoned at Boston. 

then I guess it's time for a party, a CIGAR and TEA Party ................... someone's Drawing Room, Library or Study would be a superb venue ..............  my place is a tiny 400 year old cottage by ( but never in ) the water on Sheppey in Kent ......  happy to travel much further afield if there's any of us able to host and garner a collection of our fine Lexii beasts conducting us to this Cigar and Tea Party .........  before Christmas ??

Malc

• Haha 1

Not sure about a Cigar with Tea. Has to be Moka Coffee for me. 

Am away very shortly and hoping to find my LS400 still in the Garage in France where I can do a repair and hopefully arrange for it to be brought back to the UK.  More than a year since I saw it last and fingers crossed a Voleur has not had it away or occupied the Maison.   Will be more than 1200 miles in this GS which I've had to hurriedly arrange to have the Inner Stewering Rods replaced as they were an Advisory in the MOT pass.  Just praying this does not end up as another Lexus "lost in France".  It would spell the end of my love of Lexus.     

• Like 1

9 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

It would spell the end of my love of Lexus.   

come come now, don't blame the car if the French are somehow impounding your cars 😌

I'm sure all will be well and you'll soon have the luxury of two superb ( eventually ) Lexii to drive

Very best wishes with finding your Ls400 in as tip top nick as it could possibly be in all the dastardly circumstances you find yourself, and it in

Good luck

Dates booked for this trip ?

Malc

• Sad 1

On 10/27/2021 at 8:11 AM, Phil xxkr said:

Big Teds, a great cigar. Made by Swishers who also did an X70 panatella dipped in rum and molasses5🥳

I'd not heard of the "Ted" Cigar  brand before. - just shows you can go through life and miss things!  I think the King Edwards have the end dipped in soemthing sweet? 

Oh, also someone mentioned bullet or  "Torpedo" style Cigars in Italy.  From memory are these very common in Spain and Spanish colonies (ex)? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

I'd not heard of the "Ted" Cigar  brand before. - just shows you can go through life and miss things!  I think the King Edwards have the end dipped in soemthing sweet? 

Oh, also someone mentioned bullet or  "Torpedo" style Cigars in Italy.  From memory are these very common in Spain and Spanish colonies (ex)? 

Apologies Stuart, back in the day we called Invincibles Big Teds 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2021 at 10:13 PM, The-Acre said:

For a start you need one of these if you're serious about it!

c442-03_1.jpg

Upon re-perusing this ever-expanding thread I noticed that the cigars shown at the foot of the cutter in the photo are specimens of the “toscani” described in my post(s) above.  It will be readily seen how, when the cigars are cut in two, each of the resulting halves taper to a form reminiscent of a classic pharmaceutical product.  To judge by their colour, and unless I am mistaken, the cigars are the “stravecchio” (i.e. extra-mature) version, which has the virtue of emitting a slightly less mephitic odour than the younger and more raw equivalent that I hoped would make me give up smoking.  I also note from the band on the single other cigar that the photo originates from the house of Savinelli, purveyors of smokers’ requisites to the international carriage trade, which I seriously doubt would allow a lesser variety of “toscano” than “stravecchio” anywhere close to its premises. 

• Like 1