Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC F Seats

Drivers seat is starting to show signs of wear on right side squab. Car is 17 plate with 42k on the clock. Grey leather which doesn’t help. 
would it be a warranty job - thoughts. 

I doubt it but a call to Lexus would confirm either way.

You may get a goodwill contribution if replacement is the only option but I imagine (without seeing it) a competent auto upholsterer could refresh that side. 

Sounds like wear and tear unfortunately.  Even it it wasn’t, Lexus isn’t interested in anything interior related even as a good will gesture. They will just insult you by saying you haven’t taken care of it. 

3 hours ago, Locheelad said:

Only had it 6 months 

I personally would of used leather protection Atleast twice in that time and cleaned the same time the car was cleaned. 

BUT that is irrelevant, I wouldn't strongly suggest conversing with the dealer of this 

2 minutes ago, Arnett said:

I personally would of used leather protection Atleast twice in that time and cleaned the same time the car was cleaned. 

BUT that is irrelevant, I wouldn't strongly suggest conversing with the dealer of this 

What do you recommend? I usually use Gliptone for Semi Aniline leather but I find it makes the leather shiny, which I want to try and avoid. 

2 hours ago, F.A. said:

What do you recommend? I usually use Gliptone for Semi Aniline leather but I find it makes the leather shiny, which I want to try and avoid. 

Used to love the autoglyn one but moved to the chemical guys one and was really fond so stuck it with, and the serum was just 👍

Pretty much all (<95%) automotive leather is PU coated and sealed. All these proprietary preparations do nothing to feed or nourish these leathers and can if over applied leave a sticky film that attracts grit, accelerating damage.

Of utmost importance is to keep seats free from dried on dirt and grit, which if left in creases, will grind away at the coating causing cracks and the damage is done.

I routinely (weekly) wipe down my seats and seat backs with a damp microfibre after carefully vacuuming with a soft brush attachment. I do use the executive leather care kit supplied by Lexus, perhaps 2-3 times a year. This deep cleans the surface and reapplies the protectant applied at the factory.

I did have a naked nappa leather retrim in my Mercedes, looked incredible, was beautifully soft and comfortable leather (actually not that dissimilar in feel to the leather in my RC!) but my word, was it hard work to keep clean. Being naked it needed careful cleaning and nourishing at least once a fortnight. Dye transfer was always a problem. My local dealership had very strict instructions on keeping the seats covered during service. All the techs knew not to touch the leather with greasy hands! Never again... 

Mine is also showing a bit of wear on the driver's side bolster. A bit hard to spot tbh, I only noticed it when cleaning the interior for the first time after buying the car. I do have a couple of suggestions though:

1. Carpro Inside. It's an interior cleaner that leaves a light protective coat/sheen. I almost couldn't believe when I brushed some over the area and wiped it down how the wear just kind of disappeared. It comes back gradually though so not a permanent fix by any means, but good to have if you like to clean the interior yourself. There are probably other products, leather conditioners etc that would do the same thing.
  2. Leather repair. This is like a flexible layer that is spread on, left to cure, and then painted to match. The results are very impressive. This is the way to go for a more permanent result, and will be far cheaper than re-upholstering (which is notoriously labour-intensive and expensive iirc).

19 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

Mine is also showing a bit of wear on the driver's side bolster. A bit hard to spot tbh, I only noticed it when cleaning the interior for the first time after buying the car. I do have a couple of suggestions though:

1. Carpro Inside. It's an interior cleaner that leaves a light protective coat/sheen. I almost couldn't believe when I brushed some over the area and wiped it down how the wear just kind of disappeared. It comes back gradually though so not a permanent fix by any means, but good to have if you like to clean the interior yourself. There are probably other products, leather conditioners etc that would do the same thing.
  2. Leather repair. This is like a flexible layer that is spread on, left to cure, and then painted to match. The results are very impressive. This is the way to go for a more permanent result, and will be far cheaper than re-upholstering (which is notoriously labour-intensive and expensive iirc).

Thanks for that reply. I thought to start with it was dirt and only when starting to clean and looked closely saw it was wear. Will give the carpro a try. Thanks again. 

My RCF drivers seat also had worn bolster when I bought it and I had it repaired at a place called https://colorglo.co.uk/

They do all kinds of leather repair and colour change. When I went to the workshop he was just finishing a complete colour change for a 5 series from cream to plum purple! Madness. Also restores chesterfields etc.

They are based in East London (Poplar). I stumbled across the owner when I was at Lexus Sidcup one day. They use him to repair any of their used stock  before they go for sale.

I even recommended them for club discount but not sure how that progressed @Steve ??

Anyway, attached is before and after of the work they did for me.

Bill

IMG_5837.jpg

IMG_5838.jpg

• Like 3

I usually find that wear is often covered up with dye solution. This initially looks great but wears away much faster than the original finish. 

This is probably why you have seen such quick wear in only 6 months. 

@Locheelad

Ive a 65MY RCF with higher than average mileage as i use it all the time,

and luckily for me even during lockdowns i was doing over 2k a month travelling up and down the country to and from work… was the best drives I’ve ever had…motorways nearly all to myself 600+ Miles  one way drives up and same again on return home 3-4times a month

and my seat leather is still in great condition,

but with mine being red im to believe its the hide of a red  highland haggis similar hide to a dragon 😏,so much tougher than your black and white cow stuff😂😂😂

no but honestly my seats are in great condition and I’ve took my car up to 84k now, with no wear and tear visible

possibly yours had been covered over with dye and that has now been worn off hence 6mths  later its so visible to you now from when you purchased it

I also put it down to im a slim and only 10.7st  and sit dead centre of seats so no rubbing the bolsters 

not saying your a fat heavy bugger and slide into your seats 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mr2lad said:

@Locheelad

Ive a 65MY RCF with higher than average mileage as i use it all the time,

and luckily for me even during lockdowns i was doing over 2k a month travelling up and down the country to and from work… was the best drives I’ve ever had…motorways nearly all to myself 600+ Miles  one way drives up and same again on return home 3-4times a month

and my seat leather is still in great condition,

but with mine being red im to believe its the hide of a red  highland haggis similar hide to a dragon 😏,so much tougher than your black and white cow stuff😂😂😂

no but honestly my seats are in great condition and I’ve took my car up to 84k now, with no wear and tear visible

possibly yours had been covered over with dye and that has now been worn off hence 6mths  later its so visible to you now from when you purchased it

I also put it down to im a slim and only 10.7st  and sit dead centre of seats so no rubbing the bolsters 

not saying your a fat heavy bugger and slide into your seats 😂 

God you do waffle 😛

Do you start every sentence with 'I drive 2k miles a month..'? Poor guy was just asking about his seats 😉 and now I've teased you a bit, I think your comment and others above about the quick dye job is correct, some mucker has probs covered it up for short term aesthetics and sale. Glad you seats are holding up though, also being red interior makes me hopeful for the future miles!

@Locheelad a good leather repair is the way to go for a long term satisfactory fix, but maybe some short term solutions may ease your mind 🙂

1 hour ago, hockeyedwards said:

God you do waffle 😛

Do you start every sentence with 'I drive 2k miles a month..'? Poor guy was just asking about his seats 😉 and now I've teased you a bit, I think your comment and others above about the quick dye job is correct, some mucker has probs covered it up for short term aesthetics and sale. Glad you seats are holding up though, also being red interior makes me hopeful for the future miles!

@Locheelad a good leather repair is the way to go for a long term satisfactory fix, but maybe some short term solutions may ease your mind 🙂

Only if you drive like i do at 2k a month rather than your 2k a year 😏…. Ps 🖕🏻 😆

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links