Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exhaust backbox

SteveG430

Hi

New to the club and first time Lexus owner, so apologies if anything I have done offends anyone.

However I have just had the rear exhaust backbox removed with straight though pipe from the rear resonators, so now have a reasonable good rear box for sale if anyone is interested.

As for the car, I can say to hear the V8 rumble is a joy, it is still quite, so won't upset the neighbours, and on first impression seems to have improved mpg by 1-2 miles.  

• Like 2

Not wanting to hi jack this t20210330_171053.thumb.jpg.4a1b47836246a3d1034b743e2c2a90c7.jpg20200502_174848.thumb.jpg.f92c6d544790c25b8a5a9ab07fc1516e.jpghread but I had full length exhaust fitted in Leeds 18 months ago and very pleased, £400 for cat back and £700 full length you get choice of tailpipes and dia of exhaust and sound can be tailored to your needs address and phone on photo!!

20200502_175003.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Stewart

So yours looks like it has a single back box is that correct?

I have seen some with cat back and small boxes on both sides at the back, under the boot area.

I am wanting it to be conservative when driving slowly but when it's given some gun I want it to sound like an animal!!! 

Is yours like that or how did you select the sound you wanted?

Yes there is Tony Banks in Leeds and also Keltec which was set up by an ex employee of Tony Banks, both appear to have a good reputation.

There are different ways of doing it. I would have a custom SS similar shaped rear box to fill the space and delete the centre resonators. You can also delete the third cat. Maintain the Y piece or opt for an X pipe as the exhaust gas needs to merge to flow smoothly.

• Like 1

Tony Banks makes these up on the car starting at  the front and working  to the back  bending and welding as he goes so he can do anything  you want I didn't want anything loud but it now makes a nicer sound imo, I had 50mm pipe  and could have had 75 mm pipe, or twin silencers, just as an aside  whilst I was there a youngster was having an MG done when it was finished it popped and banged and burbled  which was exactly  what  he wanted!! might be worth a ring to discuss what you want👍

• Like 2

The exhaust was fitted by TGH Customs in Hayes. Just had the rear box removed. so cut the pipes after the resonators and run straight pipes out.

The cost would have been £450+VAT, but decided to have slash tailpipes which was another £200+VAT.

Still quite when cruising, but with a hint of V8 magic.

• Like 1

Hi Lexiguy

I still have all the cat's in place, otherwise you would get more of that V8 rumble and lots of crackle and popping. which to be honest I do love, but I also like the quietness of the Lexus, so I will stay on for the moment, but do watch this space.... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveG430 said:

Hi Lexiguy

I still have all the cat's in place, otherwise you would get more of that V8 rumble and lots of crackle and popping. which to be honest I do love, but I also like the quietness of the Lexus, so I will stay on for the moment, but do watch this space.... 

Sounds great!

From the 3rd cat is that two straight pipes with no boxes in them?

2 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

Sounds great!

From the 3rd cat is that two straight pipes with no boxes in them?

Yes everything is original at the front and middle, so two front cats going into single middle cat. Then splitting out to two rear resonators. From then it is straight pipes. The only thing removed was the rear silencer.  

• Like 1

If you look at the video you will see in the bottom corner is the old rear box, but also look are the pipes that when back to the resonator, they are flattened at the point they go under the rear axle, which must cause a real restriction. Allowing the car to breath better has improved performance and also economy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SteveG430 said:

If you look at the video you will see in the bottom corner is the old rear box, but also look are the pipes that when back to the resonator, they are flattened at the point they go under the rear axle, which must cause a real restriction. Allowing the car to breath better has improved performance and also economy.

Replacing an old exhaust is always going to be a help but it would be interesting to see what the dyno says as most who modify the exhaust agree that regardless of the satisfying V8 sound, it feels like extra power has been released but few actually test to see the numbers. 

I removed the resonators and went with a high flow similar shape rear box. It is said to act as a rear diffuser, removing it may shed a little weight but add a small amount of extra drag. Of course the most restrictive part of the exhaust system is the log style manifolds.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When I got my sc430, I was a bit disappointed with the lack of V8 burble, so always intended to invest in a better sounding exhaust.. after I'd had more pressing needs sorted.. I decided to see how it fared on the imminent MOT. It failed on emissions.. only marginally on the gauges, but a few pin-holes and flaky metal was pointed out to me. It was the only point it failed on. It was recommended I replace the complete system from the twin cats backward. I managed to get a quote and a timely fitment spot to get a custom stainless system fitted by Infiniti exhausts, just off the Bath M4 junction. They managed to link to the twin cat flanges, to twin pipes into a central small cat, out on a single pipe to Y piece and then 2 small silencer pipes on to the massive rear silencer box. It took around half a day. When I collected it, even though I'd stressed I wanted it just a bit noisier than before with some V8 burble, it was not convenient to test it too much at that point, as it was booked for a retest in 90 mins, 50 miles away. The test drive back was so smooth and quiet and pleasant, I figured that this was exactly as Lexus had designed the car... erm, but not what I asked for.  Can't remember the exact numbers on exhaust limits.. something like 0.2, and it flew through the MOT with 0.03... well pleased with my now 13 months of MOT, but since the car was now quieter than the i3 electric car I'd just parted with, was not entirely happy until I spoke to Infiniti, who said 'bring it back and we'll whizz the rear silenced pipes off and swap them for 2 straight pipes'.

I duly did this, and in 40 minutes, was sounding more like it. The sound has improved over the last month. No it's not noisy, certainly no pops and bangs, but sounds so nice on start-up and quiet through the gears and idle, but also soooo nice (to me, at least) when you kick it down and the engine note growls through the tubes to let people know, just subtly, that this thing has a bit of an engine under the bonnet. I like it a lot, and enjoy driving it so much more now. I guess other might want more noise, but it suits me perfectly. Oh, one minor issue I had after the MOT was that the VSC lights stayed on (Meaning NO traction control). After much research, I discovered a fix by sticking a paper clip in the analyser socket under the steering wheel while you turn the ignition on for about 5 seconds. Free and quick. For those with similar probs. Find the trapezium shaped socket, third hole from left on top (narrower bit) connected to fifth hole from left on bottom (wider bit) of the socket. Ignition OFF, connect paper clip. Ignition on for 5 seconds (flashy flashy of VSC and ABS lights on dash). Ignition OFF, pull the paper clip. Utube has several versions. Get it right for your model. This worked for me. Nov 2004 model.

Ged

• Like 1

Pair a new key fob to my SC430, Nov 2004.

I paid 175 dabs for a replacement master key from the Stealers. Do I REALLY have to pay another £80+ to them to have it paired with the car Or does anyone know a free solution. I've tried about 4 or 5 ways off Youtube without success.

Ged

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gedwood said:

Pair a new key fob to my SC430, Nov 2004.

I paid 175 dabs for a replacement master key from the Stealers. Do I REALLY have to pay another £80+ to them to have it paired with the car Or does anyone know a free solution. I've tried about 4 or 5 ways off Youtube without success.

Ged

It can be copied, I've done a few on different models with similar 3 button remotes. A search brings up this procedure from the US site clublexus.

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Timing may be important. I did the key on and off to the count of 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi said in regular speech -- or just about on the second. Then switched keys in 3-5 seconds. Then opened the door to the same beat.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES.
3. Close and open the drivers door TWO TIMES.
4. Put key into the ignition and remove.
5. Close and open the drivers door two times.
6. Put key into the ignition. Close the drivers door.
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.)
8. Remove the key from the ignition. The door locks will cycle one time (or two if you are erasing) . On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button for 2 seconds. On the REMOTE press the LOCK button for one second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception

9. Open and close the drivers door. Put key in ignition and pull out. This will end
programming.

• Like 1

I'm sad to report that the first part to do the immobiliser has not worked. I tried it 4 times, paying particular attention to timings. I cannot continue with the remote programming until I get the key to start the car. Any ideas anyone?

3 hours ago, Gedwood said:

Other methods I've tried have been similar, but not the same. I will try this today. Here's hoping. Thanks Lexiguy for posting.

Hi Gedwood

I am happy to help any fellow SC430 owners but unfortunately I can't accept the glory this time as it was Neil who supplied the information.

Good luck with your problem and I hope you get it sorted. Let us know and you may be educating us!

Ant

No success so far, I am yet to try a method found on another Forum (oops). It seems to differ in the part where you swap the master key for the new key.. and then turn to the ON position for the 60 seconds. Will keep you posted. The previous user had problems with this step (as am I with the previous method). Some suggestions are that the ECU may have reached its capacity of 4 registered keys. I am frightened to remove trace of all keys and start again, as I may never get my car started again.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but when I was bringing the car home after purchase, the key broke off in the ignition, and I had it recased. It always worked well since then, all functions. That still counts as the master key, doesn't it? The only other key I had was a basic one with no remote functions, hence my investment in a proper Lexus key for a spare - which is the one I'm trying to fettle now.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links