Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed Camera Alerts - how to turn them back on!

Hi – I have a new Lexus NX300h, 4 weeks old and loving it.  When I first got the car the speed camera alerts worked, although very quiet and I did wonder if I wanted them on at all.  Suddenly they are no longer working and I do not know how they turned off.  I have searched and searched settings, manuals and online and cannot find how to turn them back on, I have found people complaining they are too quiet but they are factory set at that level which cannot be changed and other people wanting to turn them off and being advised you can't.  I have been in touch with my dealer and they do not know either. Has anyone else had this issue and can shed light on how to turn them back on please?  I have done a map update and wonder if this has caused the issue.

Thank you for any help with this.

Thank you for your reply - I suspected this was what has cancelled the alerts and have suggested this to my dealer, but who am I to know these things😀. I assume I have to now wait for a software update to become available??  Is there anyway of undoing the map update I did would you know?

I believe the update is already available. I think it's the act of updating the maps that cancels the alerts rather than the map version (if that makes sense)

A member of this forum has sorted this problem, hopefully he will see this thread and respond..

Thank you NemesisUK, just checked what map version I have and it says MapDB version 2020v2 and a 2nd line says 2021v2 region GB,IE.  When I check if there are any updates it says I am up to date, not quite sure how I can update the map that cancels the alerts as you suggest?  Fingers crossed the other member who has sorted the problem does see this later, it's good to know I am not alone - originally I thought it was something I had turned off of course having so many new buttons to play with!   I have once again contacted my dealer informing them of this but got no response as yet.

Sorry I'm not explaining it very well.

There is a separate software update that updates the 'operating' system of the sat nav, not the mapping data. 

This second software update must be done using the USB route

Thank you NemesisUk, I have searched and found information regarding the usb installation, but I have concerns doing this myself and feel with a 4 week old car that Lexus should be responsible for sorting out an issue that they seem to have installed.  I will be contacting my dealer again and let him know that this issue was known with previous updates and now they need to sort mine out too. Thanks again.

• Like 2

My 2019 NX Speed Camera Warning (SCW) was quiet & the volume could Not be increased.

However with apple Car Play, Speed Camera detection excels.

When I got my 2021 version the Lexus Sat Nav was quiet but, on day one, the Lexus Nav up-dated on my drive via Lexus Connect.

After the Up-date, the SCW was even Quieter so it is a redundant System for me.

Tel

Thanks Tel - I agree it was very quiet, but at least it was there unlike now.  My car is booked in to Lexus who claim they know what to do to sort it out this week, will update with info if they do and will ask if it can be turned up too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CYD said:

Thanks Tel - I agree it was very quiet, but at least it was there unlike now.  My car is booked in to Lexus who claim they know what to do to sort it out this week, will update with info if they do and will ask if it can be turned up too.

Just to confirm that over the air map updates is indeed what breaks speed camera warnings and loading the complete map database on usb will fix it. They may still work after an OTA update if you are logged in to Lexus online but otherwise will not. I now only use the usb update of the entire map database and cancel any OTA requests that come up.  (This is better anyway as it updates all countries and not just UK etc)

Glad your dealer will sort it out.

Paul

Thank you Paul - I will check with Lexus exactly what it is they are planning to do when I am there.  It seems so wrong that there is this known issue but they do not sort it out, I will be avoiding doing any updates I think for sometime now.

46 minutes ago, CYD said:

Thank you Paul - I will check with Lexus exactly what it is they are planning to do when I am there.  It seems so wrong that there is this known issue but they do not sort it out, I will be avoiding doing any updates I think for sometime now.

Hi Carol,

I have a number of open software bug reports with the system on my 2021 RX. I suspect most are common to all vehicle models.  This speed camera issue is one of them but at least there is a work around by upgrading from usb.... Although as i have said to Lexus several times, one reason to buy a Lexus is that we are not supposed to have to deal with these types of problems. The bug that causes me the most pain for me is the non functioning (sometimes) of voice commands for playing music from memory stick (i.e. "play album brothers in arms".). On the latest audio releases this does not work because it often does not index the memory stick.  It seems to work fine on older vehicles (including our 2015 NX) but not on ones that are equipped with apple car play and Android auto. This bug has been with Lexus now for about 6 months...  The speed camera bug has been with them for at least 3 months and i believe is also present on Toyota vehicles too.  I have an excel sheet of over 15 software bugs at this point and only 3 have so far been addressed (they had already been addressed before i bought the car but I need the latest software loading on).

Sorry to rant... My last two Lexus vehicles were perfect but the new software is unfortunately quite buggy... 

I really hope they improve it.

Paul

Hi Paul - it's good to have a rant!  It is very disappointing to hear there are many software bugs, I did expect more of Lexus as first time buyer.  Is it possible to share your list of bugs and maybe I can also ask when I am at the dealer if any of them are being addressed?

2 hours ago, CYD said:

Hi Paul - it's good to have a rant!  It is very disappointing to hear there are many software bugs, I did expect more of Lexus as first time buyer.  Is it possible to share your list of bugs and maybe I can also ask when I am at the dealer if any of them are being addressed?

Hi Carol, here you go!

1. Broken Voice Commands for audio playback off usb (described above).  Lexus are investigating and have replaced the audio hardware on my vehicle so that they can look at the log files on my old hardware.  In progress now for 6 months.

2. Occasional off by 2 error when selecting a radio station (I have seen this twice when the audio is displayed on the right side panel of the split screen display).  the car played the radio station 2 stations above the one I clicked on.  No resolution yet.  I have sent a video to Lexus of this happening.

3. On the Lexus web pages there is a spelling mistake "wifiox" instead of "Wifibox".  A trivial error but also totally trivial to fix.  No resolution as yet.

4. Upload/Download settings (that should store preferences and seat positions etc) to your My Lexus account (so that e.g. you get a loan car, login and go..) does not work.  I have been informed there is no current plan to make it work.  I suggested they remove the buttons from the user interface if this is the case but no resolution yet.

5. Lexus Link app sometimes fails to show correct location of car (I have seen it out by hundreds of miles)

6. Road sign assist consistently fails to recognise national speed limit signs on smart motorways (e.g. after speed reduction to 50mph and return to national limit the car will keep displaying 50mph).  No resolution yet.

7. Mileage reported on My Lexus web page is different to that on the odometer (reported elsewhere on this forum).

8. Up and down buttons on the steering wheel are mapped the wrong way round when selecting radio stations in the right side infotainment panel.  (up goes down and down goes up).  No resolution at present.  Seems a totally trivial fix.

9. Phone address book is missing a space after a comma when sorting by surname.  Trivial again, but also trivial to fix.

10. Incoming calls not recognised if the number is not an exact match to the address book.  This is a problem because VOLTE calls (sometimes known as 4G or HD calls) come in as +44XXXXXXX and non HD display without the international code.  So you can have one working but not the other.  

11. MP3s off USB are played in alphabetical rather than track number order.  ????

12. No gapless playback of MP3s (not really excusable in 2021 on a Mark Levinson branded system given that any free mp3 player on android has it...).

13. Speed camera bug after OTA update (the subject of this thread)

14. Instructions missing for the OTA map updates on My Lexus website.

I think other software bugs I found have been fixed in updates that have been applied (random action of trackpad haptic feedback when turned off, random incorrect map orientation after cycling the map view etc).

Some of these are truly annoying, some are trivial.  Some (possibly all) are trivial to fix.  Lexus Customer Relations are very good at interacting with me on these issues but my feeling is that they have little support themselves from the software team as the time being taken to resolve these things is incredulous to me.  Luckily my dealer is also being excellent at trying to help deal with these things.  This is my third Lexus and the first two had zero bugs in the software that I noticed except for number 9 above.  The problem is, once I started getting very odd errors that mattered (like the voice commands not working) then all the bugs, even the tiny ones, became an annoyance - things that I thought would never be an issue on a Lexus (the relentless pursuit of perfection).   Especially given that these are all s/w bugs and can so easily be fixed.

On the positive side there has not been a new software release for 6 months so it may be that at least some of these things will be fixed in the next update. In which case I will be the first to admit that the resolution time may be acceptable given a ~6 month release cycle.

Paul

Wow, thank you Paul.   I will take your list with me next week and will be interested to see their faces when I tell them about all these outstanding bugs and let you know what their reaction is.

1 hour ago, CYD said:

Wow, thank you Paul.   I will take your list with me next week and will be interested to see their faces when I tell them about all these outstanding bugs and let you know what their reaction is.

Thanks, Carol.

If you can reproduce any during your normal use of the vehicle, please write to cr@lexus.co.uk. The more complaints, the more attention bugs get.

These may not all be annoying to your everyday use of the vehicle (if i didn't play music from a memory stick for instance i would never have known about the voice  command bug), but se may be.

Cheers,

Paul

This is the problem with OTA updates for me. The plus is that today you have more features than yesterday but the downside is that something that was working yesterday doesn’t work today. I’d much rather see less regular updates that are well tested and work perfectly than see manufacturers rushing to roll out regular updates that perhaps have not been as fully tested as they should have been. Is this really progress? I think not.

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

This is the problem with OTA updates for me. The plus is that today you have more features than yesterday but the downside is that something that was working yesterday doesn’t work today. I’d much rather see less regular updates that are well tested and work perfectly than see manufacturers rushing to roll out regular updates that perhaps have not been as fully tested as they should have been. Is this really progress? I think not.

Hi Paul,

Even usb based audio and navigation software updates have contained significant bugs on the MM19 system. At present the OTA stuff is only updating the map database... The new NX with the MM21 infotainment will do full OTA updates of software and map data....

They have had OTA updates on American models for longer....

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/08/lexus-navigation-entertainment-software-update-bug

Paul

3 hours ago, PDM said:

Hi Paul,

Even usb based audio and navigation software updates have contained significant bugs on the MM19 system. At present the OTA stuff is only updating the map database... The new NX with the MM21 infotainment will do full OTA updates of software and map data....

They have had OTA updates on American models for longer....

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/08/lexus-navigation-entertainment-software-update-bug

Paul

I just like a car to work the same every day. Then again I’d happily keep the same  phone all the time. I don’t really see the need to keep updating the car. I’m sure I’m not the target market for all of the tech in cars nowadays 😀

27 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

I just like a car to work the same every day. Then again I’d happily keep the same  phone all the time. I don’t really see the need to keep updating the car. I’m sure I’m not the target market for all of the tech in cars nowadays 😀

Paul,

I largely agree! My current issue is I'd like all the bugs fixed that came with the car so that it behaves as per the manual.

One reason for infotainment updates (outside of bug fixing) is e.g. Bluetooth changes for compatability with new phones. This is reasonable given the length of time we expect cars to last compared to phones.

Paul

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PDM said:

Paul,

I largely agree! My current issue is I'd like all the bugs fixed that came with the car so that it behaves as per the manual.

One reason for infotainment updates (outside of bug fixing) is e.g. Bluetooth changes for compatability with new phones. This is reasonable given the length of time we expect cars to last compared to phones.

Paul

Yes I can see your frustration. The danger is that every new update fixes previously known bugs but introduces new bugs. And the cycle starts all over again!

Just to let anyone who is having an issue with their speed camera alerts, my car went back to the dealer yesterday, they did  both map and software updates which only came out this week apparently and that has now fixed the problem.  The garage did not believe me that they were not working as they had the the beginning, telling me they were so I had to prove to them by driving normally at a local speed camera that they were not working, they tried to fob me off with saying it was the volume turned down, you have to have a route turned on and they only work when driving above the limit as you approach the camera.  Now they are working when driving at any speed towards a camera and without a route being set - and the camera icon is back on the map which had disappeared too.  They also told me at some point during the morning that they cannot do a USB update on the NX, well they did it.  Shame it takes so much convincing to get things back on track when this apparently has been known at Lexus for some months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I am not certain it is louder, I can hear it over the radio but I don't play music very loudly and I am purposely listening out for the bongs at the moment as I know when it should locally. MLS - being thick here what is that?