Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 Upgrade - boot opening automatically when you press the controller

I thought i will share this with you as it's very simple to do, in my car when you press the button to open the boot, the latch makes a noise but the boot doesn't open.

I've replaced one of the struts and now it opens by itself when i press the button, very simple and handy.

Cost is £12.5 and you need only one. Note that if you replace both, it will be very difficult to close :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223564827651

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes what you've done looks a good idea. However there has been a number of threads on here regarding rear boot struts. Having basically only one strut doing all the work will distort the boot lid and cause the brackets to fail prematurely. Since you have put a very strongly damped strut in your car you must keep us informed how the boot operates over time.

44 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Yes what you've done looks a good idea. However there has been a number of threads on here regarding rear boot struts. Having basically only one strut doing all the work will distort the boot lid and cause the brackets to fail prematurely. Since you have put a very strongly damped strut in your car you must keep us informed how the boot operates over time.

You are correct, upgrading only one side to a higher force rating goes completely against rules of physics there is no balance. The better solution is to either upgrade both struts to create a balance or to just re-gas existing OEM struts to a higher Nm of force. 

A few people I know on Instagram have put the single BMW struts on and have removed it after a while because it was letting water into the boot.

2 hours ago, bigbullhead said:

Bought these fitted both and can close the boot

Did you fit the ones i put in the link? If not, which ones?

If it's closing fine for you, i might install both to avoid this issues they're mentioning.

1 hour ago, bigbullhead said:

Yes used your link thanks 👍🏻👍🏻

no worries, i've noticed sometimes mine doesn't fully open, not sure if it's due to the temperature or what

Is you boot opening every time when you press the controller?

I also fitted only one from a BMW, however, the boot doesn't fully open when unlocked at 450nm. It needs just a little push and will then fully open.

I'm considering using two new ones but I'm not sure what specs I should go for.

Can anyone suggest how much nm I need on both struts so that the boot will open automatically, but will not keep the sides of the trunk wider?

So let’s say a 500 Nm strut would work as required, would that mean if you used 2 X 250 Nm struts ( one each side) it would work, or am I way off and should include the other strut ( whatever it is rated at) that is working with the new 450 in my calculations!

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, LittleCasper said:

Does anyone have a link to what struts I'd have to buy if I was going to replace both at the same time?

SGS engineering would be your best bet, two of the struts I've linked will allow you to open the boot with minimal force and can be done with your finger. If you want the boot struts to open automatically when the button is pressed, a suggestion that Ahmed made to me is If you add a medium load compression spring to the struts this will provide enough force for the boot to auto open but still allow it to be closed with ease (the caveat of higher strength springs that it makes it harder to close the boot) so this is a good alternative! I haven't got around to this myself but you should ask him for specifics

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gsc2655-lexus-is300-boot-strut

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links