Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Unidentified wire

So removed the radio CD unit today, as cd hasn't worked for a while now, found this black wire with bared end which has obviously been ripped off something, don't think it was me as can't find the other end. Thought it could be an earth wire to the back of the system but nothing there for it to attach to, anyone seen this wire before or any ideas?

IMG_20211029_134521_resized_20211029_043712528.jpg

IMG_20211029_134506_resized_20211029_043712872.jpg

That's a valid point! I left the satnav in the car so can't look at the back of it to see if there is a connection, but definitely doesn't go to the back of the music system

So no idea what that wire was for, definitely nothing to do with sat nav or radio system, can only assume it's from something that the first owner had fitted, maybe a Bluetooth phone system. Anyway, the CD player still doesn't want to work, won't even let me load a CD, but at least I managed to get all the cd's out of it. Couldn't see anything wrong inside it , so guess fault is on one of the circuit boards 🤔

I bought a double din kit + a loom adaptor from the bay and installed a more modern head unit. (It means bypassing the amp, which is a PITA to get to).

No cassette player now, so had to burn my 1980s Australian pub rock onto an MP3 thumbnail drive.

(I also installed a raspberry PI in the satnav pod whilst I was at it - it runs "crankshaft OS" and just mirrors android maps, but also reads info directly from a Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor)

Crikey Gregg, you seem to know what you are talking about, I can remember installing an 8 track player in my MK4 Cortina back in 1977!!!! Had a quick look about, and reckon £250 to fit something else, probably not worth the investment for me. Just ****** me off that I can't find a circuit diagram or some kind of service manual for the CD player as would like to fix it.