Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GSF - REVIEW

Personally, I love my GS F because of its individuality and the fact it is a rare and not common sight, not bothered its not best of breed I'm not one for following the crowd from the numerous bavarian stables.

My father had one of the first Toyota Celicas when they arrived on these shores many moons ago he didn't follow the crowd then either guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree eh!

Good review 👍 

• Like 1

I agree. I love the fact that it’s one of the last of a dying breed, where we are unlikely to see an NA V8 in a family saloon again. The fact that it probably won’t  go bang like the Germans, is also a bonus. I also like how most ‘car enthusiasts’ are unlikely to know what it is.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Hehe, my favourite responses when I say I drive a GS F are - isn't that a hybrid or do you mean F-sport? 😛

Yes, I’ve lost count of the number of times people have started with ‘is it a hybrid’ 😂

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Hehe, my favourite responses when I say I drive a GS F are - isn't that a hybrid or do you mean F-sport? 😛

But you dont…you’ve SORNed  it 🤣 ….tum te tum just saying 😏… your just not a Thoroughbred F err 😂😂

• Haha 1

Disagree with him on a lot of his comments and I also do not really rate his driving at all. He waffles something chronic, and even not talking about how differently it drives dependent on the TVD settings.

Those roads should have had slalom mode enabled.  He claims the seats dont hold you in? wha? Those are possibly the most comfortable seats that hold you in place in any car.  There are so many failings with his video. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Arnett said:

Disagree with him on a lot of his comments and I also do not really rate his driving at all. He waffles something chronic, and even not talking about how differently it drives dependent on the TVD settings.

Those roads should have had slalom mode enabled.  He claims the seats dont hold you in? wha? Those are possibly the most comfortable seats that hold you in place in any car.  There are so many failings with his video. 

He said the seats were really good?

2 hours ago, mr2lad said:

But you dont…you’ve SORNed  it 🤣 ….tum te tum just saying 😏… your just not a Thoroughbred F err 😂😂

I have to congratulate you on not starting the sentence with 'I drive 2k miles a month...' 🤣

• Haha 2

It’s the first time I’ve heard a reviewer comment on how firm the ride is and how poor the throttle response was. I’m guessing he’s just driven it in auto for the latter. I’m sure Harris liked the steering feel also. 

I think it's a fair enough review, the Lexus F range of cars are an acquired taste you either like them or not, plus there are far more publicised brands that seem to grab the attention of the buying public. I quite like this guy he has highlighted faults with the Lotus brand that are very much along the lines of my impression too, he also went overboard about Mclarens that didn't win him any fans but he did have a few valid points that could be overlooked at your peril if you are paying out big wads of your own money.

24 minutes ago, F.A. said:

It’s the first time I’ve heard a reviewer comment on how firm the ride is and how poor the throttle response was. I’m guessing he’s just driven it in auto for the latter. I’m sure Harris liked the steering feel also. 

Just my own experience on a non AVS car and an AVS car, admittedly it was an RCF but if you drive an AVS equipped car and a non AVS car back to back (I know a rare occurrence) you would chose the AVS car. I did.

Never had any issues with throttle response although a chap on Pistonheads said the same about his car (an early RCF) I wonder if Lexus changed anything on the later cars as I've never had any such problems.

1 minute ago, B1RMA said:

Just my own experience on a non AVS car and an AVS car, admittedly it was an RCF but if you drive an AVS equipped car and a non AVS car back to back (I know a rare occurrence) you would chose the AVS car. I did.

Never had any issues with throttle response although a chap on Pistonheads said the same about his car (an early RCF) I wonder if Lexus changed anything on the later cars as I've never had any such problems.

The car he drove didn’t have AVS and ours does, but reviewers have also commented on how good the fixed suspension was. Each to their own I guess. 

3 minutes ago, F.A. said:

The car he drove didn’t have AVS and ours does, but reviewers have also commented on how good the fixed suspension was. Each to their own I guess. 

interesting point, I have to admit the AVS car and the non AVS car I drove really did have a different feel, I felt the softer setting of the AVS (standard mode) helped make the car far more comfortable for normal driving, then when you got a move on it all tightened up in a way I felt was well sorted. I rarely go into Sport+ as I feel most of the roads around Hampshire are a bit rough and the setting just a bit too harsh for uneven rubbish roads.

• Like 2

Apologies for the length of this - my findings of GSF ownership so far, posted on the video review:

I’ve had a late 2017 GSF for coming up to 2 years. Agree with much that is said in the review. The ride on mine is fine for a performance car, but being a later model than that tested it has adaptive suspension so the ride significantly less firm in the non sports modes. Throttle response is probably what I would expect in a naturally aspirated high revving engine, i.e. feels dull at lower revs which is due to substantial torque not available till much higher up the rev range (unlike a forced induction/turbo engine that produces a very large percentage of its percentage at very low revs). Naturally this means it is necessary to keep the engine on the boil using the gearbox (as mentioned in the review). This is either a good thing or bad thing depending on how you want to drive, ie. lazy but rapid progress is making less use of the gearbox, then a turbo engine with equivalent peak power (bhp) will suit you more. The GSF reminds me of 2 stroke motorcycles, ie very rapid if kept in the power band and great fun in doing so if that’s your thing. It’s all relative though, there is still plenty low down power compared with the average car (so more relaxed driving is effortless), but not compared with your German turbo super saloons. The sound makes up for that and the overall driving experience if you use the modes is fantastic - it took me quite a while to really appreciate its potential which is not immediately obvious until you get properly familiar with its characteristics, modes, TVD etc. I don’t agree with the steering being over light as far as my car is concerned…I find it perfectly weighted and precise and can’t imagine how It would be improved - again this could be down to the latter model perhaps having changes to the steering as well as the known addition of adaptive suspension…you’d have to be a lunatic to find the limitations with this and grip on a public road (my mate had a 2011 db9 Aston Martin and admitted that the GSF handling/road holding was significantly superior). Gearbox does lag but this is minimal in the sports modes (particularly sports plus). The infotainment system control is nowhere near as bad as almost every tester finds it - unfortunately it takes quite some to get used to, but with practice becomes second nature and just about as quick as the majority if not all other systems (this is the second Lexus I’ve had with this controller). If you have the car for a day or two, yes it’s an issue, but to actually own a car wth it fitted, I find it no issue and prefers it to the touch screen of my wife’s car. All in all I find it a brilliant car which for the first time by choice, plan to keep for many years (aided by Lexus reliability and warranty support).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, B1RMA said:

interesting point, I have to admit the AVS car and the non AVS car I drove really did have a different feel, I felt the softer setting of the AVS (standard mode) helped make the car far more comfortable for normal driving, then when you got a move on it all tightened up in a way I felt was well sorted. I rarely go into Sport+ as I feel most of the roads around Hampshire are a bit rough and the setting just a bit too harsh for uneven rubbish roads.

I’ve not tried the non AVS version, but am very happy with my AVS setup. Going by what you and others have said, it seems like it will be probably well worth the considerable additional cost to replace AVS dampers like for like when the time comes (especially as my wife is quick to protest about harsh a ride - quiet at the back!).

13 hours ago, Pielight said:

I’ve not tried the non AVS version, but am very happy with my AVS setup. Going by what you and others have said, it seems like it will be probably well worth the considerable additional cost to replace AVS dampers like for like when the time comes (especially as my wife is quick to protest about harsh a ride - quiet at the back!).

I'm really pleased I was able to do the back to back comparison, although it incurred a £15K bit of budget creep at the time buying a much later model.

I don't think being a Lexus you have any worries about future replacement costs as they will probably last ages and ages. As these cars sell well over in the USA I've not read of any issues on higher mileage AVS cars, my one concern was the fact I intend to lower mine with some Swift Springs but again I've asked the question on the USA based forum and nobody has had any problems with lowering an AVS equipped car.

For the record Tein do an active coil-over set-up for the ISF so hopefully soon a system will be available for the pre AVS RCF' and GSF cars. I have this rather expensive system on my Mini Clubvan and it is superb (as I believe it is for the ISF) it gives a limo type ride for the Mini at slower speeds and motorways then tightens up on the twisty fast bits, it has a display gauge and you can see it working all the time. I believe the AVS system in the GSF and RCF is very similar. This is why I just have it in Sport mode as it, according to the data sheet issued by Lexus tightens up according to driving style/input.

This again was why I didn't hesitate to buy a Lexus with TVD, AVS etc because despite it being one of the cheapest cars I've ever bought I just felt confident it would work properly and last, if not the warranty should help out. Something I've clearly not had with many of my high end German and British cars I've had in the past.

9 hours ago, B1RMA said:

I'm really pleased I was able to do the back to back comparison, although it incurred a £15K bit of budget creep at the time buying a much later model.

I don't think being a Lexus you have any worries about future replacement costs as they will probably last ages and ages. As these cars sell well over in the USA I've not read of any issues on higher mileage AVS cars, my one concern was the fact I intend to lower mine with some Swift Springs but again I've asked the question on the USA based forum and nobody has had any problems with lowering an AVS equipped car.

For the record Tein do an active coil-over set-up for the ISF so hopefully soon a system will be available for the pre AVS RCF' and GSF cars. I have this rather expensive system on my Mini Clubvan and it is superb (as I believe it is for the ISF) it gives a limo type ride for the Mini at slower speeds and motorways then tightens up on the twisty fast bits, it has a display gauge and you can see it working all the time. I believe the AVS system in the GSF and RCF is very similar. This is why I just have it in Sport mode as it, according to the data sheet issued by Lexus tightens up according to driving style/input.

This again was why I didn't hesitate to buy a Lexus with TVD, AVS etc because despite it being one of the cheapest cars I've ever bought I just felt confident it would work properly and last, if not the warranty should help out. Something I've clearly not had with many of my high end German and British cars I've had in the past.

You can't beat back to back comparisons. On paper you'd never justify a 15k increase on original budget....only seat of the pants evaluation and feel good can determine that.

Its good to hear that anecdotally AVS suspension is proving to be reliable as that's one of the areas no longer covered under the Relax warranty. 

I hope Lexus continue to make at least one or two models that appeal to the enthusiastic driver (pity they're not importing the IS500). Although the Germans make great performing cars, I wouldn't take a chance on one reliabilty/running costs wise. 

23 minutes ago, Pielight said:

You can't beat back to back comparisons. On paper you'd never justify a 15k increase on original budget....only seat of the pants evaluation and feel good can determine that.

Its good to hear that anecdotally AVS suspension is proving to be reliable as that's one of the areas no longer covered under the Relax warranty. 

I hope Lexus continue to make at least one or two models that appeal to the enthusiastic driver (pity they're not importing the IS500). Although the Germans make great performing cars, I wouldn't take a chance on one reliabilty/running costs wise. 

Somehow I think Lexus will loose the plot again and not produce attractive cars, hope I'm wrong.

I'm convinced that Toyota/Lexus seem to do their level best to produce decent well made components with a very decent warranty.

I sold my CL65 AMG just before a major service, MB Brooklands (MB World) who were leagues above most AMG/MB retailers for servicing quoted me just under £3k for it's next service, let alone the £1900 per annum warranty, so my conclusion was that the Lexus was as cheap as chips to run overall.