Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No illumination on gauge cluster + no abs light

Hi everyone,

Firstly happy Halloween hope you are all keeping well. 

I’ve been having a issue with the gauge cluster that I cannot seem to get to the bottom of! Issue was present when I bought the car but as I bought the car during the day I didn’t notice it and don’t have any information on when it stopped working and if it was as a result of any tampering but my gauge cluster is not illuminating, bulbs have been replaced, fuses have been checked, the dimmer switch has been tested using a multimeter and seems to be working, I’ve cleaned all connections with an electrical contact cleaner, All other lights in the gauge cluster work perfectly fine I.e EML, indicators, headlights on, full beam on, handbrake light, oil lights, all working fine, EXCEPT ABS light, the abs light does not illuminate ever, I changed the bulb with a known to be working bulb and abs light still didn’t illuminate when I turned ignition on and the rest of the dash lights lit up, my heater controls light up perfectly fine, ignition barrel light works perfectly, fog light button illuminates, it’s literally just the speedometer illumination and the abs light that refuse to work.
I’ve had the car seen by my mechanic who’s handy with electronics and from his investigation he felt as if it was an issue with the cluster itself, a new gauge cluster was bought and it’s the exact same story with the new cluster no speedometer illumination and no abs light. I’ve tried searching for wiring diagrams online to see what wires are responsible for speedometer illumination and abs light but haven’t been able to find anything clear that I can understand, don’t know what direction to go with the issue now, 

Any help or advice is greatly welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

sorry to be a bit of a gloom monger this morning ...  here in very wet and windy Kent .

in olden .......and even present day times with all cars I've heard of, the MOT Tester will definitely insist on seeing the ABS light come on at start of ignition and then go " off " when the engine starts ......  I think that so early on in the life of your car, ( only 21 years )  unless there's some MOT " avoid " certainty with your specific model, then it would be an automatic MOT failure AND certainly have implications for your current running insurance if you was to have an accident and this fault ..  if it is such ...  came to " light "  (if you'd pardon the expression) ...... as it's NOT MOT serviceable right now

Methinks back to whomsoever you bought the car from to fix ...... if that's possible :unsure:

and maybe enquiries of the last MOT Tester ..  if you have this scheme in the beautiful Republic:wink3:

Malc

I bought the car with a fresh test and unlike in uk with mot’s all of our test centres are regulated not just any garage can sign up to perform mot’s so it’s less likely the tester who worked on my car was persuaded to provide car with dodgy certificate, I’m not all that worried about it anyway when the next test comes around the tester will see the abs light functioning one way or another! I’m just keen on getting to the bottom of the issue and restoring my clock illumination and abs!  My intention is to keep this car well maintained and fix any issues to have a clean is200 long term👌 Car was previously owned for nearly 15 years by a family daily driven by the mother so not expecting much tampering to have been done! Appreciate your input anyway malc 🙂

• Like 1