Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 250 front calliper piston sticking ?

Johnlex

So all my back brakes done perfect. 
driving down the motorway, Car was shaking steering wheel vibration . So I stopped on the side then set off again everything seemed ok. my feet and legs still hurt from the vibration 
The smell was so bad as well. 
i used the Lexus roadside assistance, AA came out within 1hour. 
He identified I Had a seized cylinder on N/S calliper. He stripped the whee,  Brake cleaner on pads disc and  used a special tool to put piston back in checked discs and pads. All ok  Wheel is spinning freely but a little bit tight at times. 

im guessing need to change the front calliper ????

John, may be a little brake maintenance will safe your money and your calliper? Try to remove the calliper from the hub, clean the pads, spring plates and the sliding pin, re-lubricate it all and put it back together. If you have good tools and lubricants you can do one side in 45 minutes tops.

Buy yourself a brake cleaner from amazon, it cost about &7 a can but is fantastic and brake lube is cheap too.

I do my brakes (above procedure) twice a year, just so I avoid seized calliper situation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vlady said:

John, may be a little brake maintenance will safe your money and your calliper? Try to remove the calliper from the hub, clean the pads, spring plates and the sliding pin, re-lubricate it all and put it back together. If you have good tools and lubricants you can do one side in 45 minutes tops.

Buy yourself a brake cleaner from Amazon, it cost about &7 a can but is fantastic and brake lube is cheap too.

I do my brakes (above procedure) twice a year, just so I avoid seized calliper situation.

@Vlady last November I replaced all slider pins on the front changed and greased - all ok on that side/ brake pads and discs all ok. 

the problem is a sticky piston ???

it came on and stayed on for a few minutes then went off again when I stopped. 
im worried it will happen again. 

i don’t want to strip and just replace the cylinder with the kit I would prefer to replace complete calliper. 

• Like 1

I see what you mean, I have not seen yet a sticky piston, not sure if it can be cleaned and lubricated. All depends on how much it cost, if the price is acceptable I would go for a new calliper. Knowing the price of the discs and pads on my GS model I think it will be very expensive but other Lexus models are not that bad price wise. 

I would check youtube 1st and find out if sticking calliper can be saved.

17 minutes ago, Vlady said:

I see what you mean, I have not seen yet a sticky piston, not sure if it can be cleaned and lubricated. All depends on how much it cost, if the price is acceptable I would go for a new calliper. Knowing the price of the discs and pads on my GS model I think it will be very expensive but other Lexus models are not that bad price wise. 

I would check youtube 1st and find out if sticking calliper can be saved.

@Vladynew calliper around £200 plus for genuine . I will you YouTube 

I’ve just replaced rear discs rear pads and rear calliper all Lexus genuine parts wasn’t that bad overall cost me over £300 and I done all myself. 

• Like 1

A brake piston will stick when the piston rubber seal lost its resilience, or when the piston is rusty inside due to moisture in the brake fluid due to no replacement every two years.

If the piston surface is scored it can be polished. More often is a failed rubber seal that causes the ceasure.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mihanicos said:

A brake piston will stick when the piston rubber seal lost its resilience, or when the piston is rusty inside due to moisture in the brake fluid due to no replacement every two years.

If the piston surface is scored it can be polished. More often is a failed rubber seal that causes the ceasure.

Chris.

@Mihanicos hey what do you recommend then?? Change the calliper itself or repair kit. Oil changed every 2 years 

I would repair the caliper. You should be able to buy a piston as well if you need one. Any scoring within the caliper  use sand paper to smooth the surface. Normally Toyota master and slave cylinders are made from aluminium alloy and there should be no corrosion.

Any abrassion on the piston indicates eccessive uneven rotor  wear more on the outer circumference  than the centre. Replace the piston if it is not true.

Chris.

These guys have been used by many members, if you don’t fancy doing a rebuild yourself the cost for a fully rebuilt set seems quite reasonable.

I didn’t realise the IS250 only had single pot callipers on the front, no wonder people upgrade them.

https://www.biggred.co.uk/caliper/view/116155

Give them a call and see if they have a set on the shelf then return yours to them otherwise it’s a 3 day wait.

• Thanks 1

@steve2006

tha is I sure will give them a call.

brakes and discs look fine. Front discs change by lexus in 2013 and brake pads changed at some

point non oem they are apec , would you suggest changing discs and pads too although they look full of life. 
discs have some lip and Scoring !

@steve2006 @Vlady @Mihanicos

Took my car to Lexus sticky piston on calliper and it’s covered under the Lexus warranty but discs and pads need doing as over heated and warped. £246 to do those so overall not bad. 
my back seized and I replaced my self but that would of been under the extended warranty too. We live and we learn. Never mind 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links