Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2016 RX450h 3 tires with 4mm of tread

With winter coming on in the UK, my 2016 RX450h has 3 tires with 4mm of tread and the fourth nearly new (this is how bought it earlier in the year ).

Should i re-shod the wheels in case snow arrives or do you think 4mm will see me out till the early spring?

thanks

Jason 

31 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Depend on how winter will be and how you drive.

Pretty much sums it up, I think.

However, some points you might want to consider.  Most tyre manufacturers recommend a minimum of 3mm of tread, after which performance declines quite sharply. So depending on the roads and your driving style, you might be facing renewal of at least two very shortly anyway. So it might make more sense to renew before the snow comes rather than after! 

Are all the tyres the same make and specification?  They certainly should be!  

I'd be inclined to check out the manufacturer's specs for the tyres.  Are they rated as summer, winter or all-season, for example.  Tyre compound performance will vary with ambient temperature. You might also consider getting one of the new all-season tyres.  Such as the MIchelin CrossClimate 2 or the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons range.

There are also a number of websites devoted to reviewing, testing and evaluating tyres.  It could be interesting to see if they have tested your particular tyre.  For example, tyrereviews.com , autoexpress.co.uk , whattyre.com - and so on.  And they might indicate the best tyre in your case.

And no doubt it may also depend on your budget.

But at least you're considering the possible problems; many people don't bother!

• Like 1

If you care about winter driving, best get a set of winter tyres (not necessarily new ones). Driving on snow and ice with summer tyres is not safe even if the tyres are new and it is just one snowy day a season.

Something I'm contemplating too. There's enough left in mine to see me through the winter,but it feels like it would be better to get a new set of all-seasons now to make the most of them.

Avon AS7s often seem to be available at ATS with free/reduced price fitting. Currently looks to be £50 off four, so a full set should be just under £500.

Blackcircles list three different versions of CrossClimate, all currently available at 15% off. So £604 forthe originals, £638 for S1s and £660 for CC2s. Fuel rating improves with each version, but the CC2 is listed at 71dB vs. 69 for the others.

The offers on Michelins seem to come and go quickly. I've regretted not taking one up before, might be time now.....

• Like 2

I can highly recommend CrossClimate tyres, I had them on my last 2 cars. They are quiet, great in the wet and a few winters ago, might have been 2018, a neighbour watched me climb a steepish small slope in deep snow, he told me afterwards he thought I had 4 wheel drive.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2021 at 8:09 PM, jimdollar said:

I can highly recommend CrossClimate tyres, I had them on my last 2 cars. They are quiet, great in the wet and a few winters ago, might have been 2018, a neighbour watched me climb a steepish small slope in deep snow, he told me afterwards he thought I had 4 wheel drive.

The problem with the current RX on 20” wheels is that Cross Climates aren’t available in the right size - as far as I can see, anyway.

32 minutes ago, flookyk said:

With the 20" on the RX have a look at the Yokohama Geolander CV G058

I’ll wait and see what are on my car when it’s delivered. Assume tyres will either be Bridgestone Dueler or Dunlop Sport Maxx as that’s what are on the showroom RXs I’ve seen.

• Like 1

Hi Ed had my RX Takumi just over two months it came with Dunlop Sport Maxx very impressed with them in dry and wet conditions and a vehicle that is over two ton will have to wait to see if we get any snow for that verdict 🥶

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had front  Bridgstone duellers replaced today on RX450h 2016 26000 miler due to sidewall cracking .Still had 5mm.

I chose Continental cross contact and very pleased with reduced noise and seemingly better fuel ,I will report again once run in.

Maybe a bit stiffer and more precise feel.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links