Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mysterious unwanted opening of windows Lexus 250 IS 2007

Hello, maybe one or twice a year, I come out to my Lexus 250 IS to see both the passenger and drivers window are completely open. 

Is this feature that has some use, or something that is not working correctly? Luckily, I live in a road where the neighbours are great and nothing ill intended has ever happened. Apart from the seats getting a bit of rain. However, in a busy town it could be different. 

I can only guess that the Key VOB is activating in my pocket, or my mobile phone is interfereing with it in some way. 

Is there anyway of stopping this from happening? I'm not sure why you would want to open windows like this (from outside the car), or whether it is a design fault?

Best regards

Julian

Yep - it happens. Probably caused by squeezing the fob in your pocket - sitting down or doing something active - sometimes by children playing with the fob etc etc. The feature is so you can open the windows on a hot day without going to the car - er....is that useful, really?

It's a long press on the unlock button. Similarly, a long press on the lock button will close them. It works the sunroof too if you had one.

It can be disabled in Techstream. If you haven't got Techstream a) all Lexus owners should have - or b) a dealer will do it for you - at a cost £££.

2 minutes ago, johnatg said:

Yep - it happens. Probably caused by squeezing the fob in your pocket - sitting down or doing something active - sometimes by children playing with the fiob etc etc. The feature is so you can open the windows on a hot day without going to the car - er....is that useful, really?

It can be disabled in Techstream. If you haven't got Techstream a) all Lexus owners should have - or b) a dealer will do it for you - at a cost £££.

Thank you for a quick reply. I better go and learn what Techstream is as I haven't clue what it is. LOLS

Techstream is the manufacturer's diagnostic and coding software/hardware.

I must admit, I find the global opening/closing feature very useful and I asked my dealer to enable it on collecting my new car.

Try the dealership before launching into the world of Techstream as my dealer enabled it on my first RC FOC.

Don't ask, don't get!!

You can buy a copy of Techstream and the necessary cable on a well-known auction site - may be not kosher, but it works. You need a laptop to connect it to. There are restrictions on operating systems etc. At the car end it plugs in to the OBDII port.

It enables diagnosis, real time data and car settings - also various other features.

When you buy a new Lexus you can ask for a settings session free of charge. After that, you pay or it's at dealer's discretion.

I used to get this once a year around spring time on my GS Mk3 all my windows & sunroof would be open in the morning when I got up despite my keys been downstairs, never got the bottom of it.