Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Road Tax

14 hours ago, Malc said:

can't understand why one can be so meany - minded when paying out £40k plus for a car and worry so significantly about an extra £335 a year / less than a £1 a day to run the thing

Just wait until the Govt starts to impose a rational annual Road Tax on EVs to wot ! they say ....  keeping the roads good and well ...  after all a EV does actually cause as much road damage, wear and tear as an " ordinary " other fuel driven beast ........  or maybe EV drivers weren't really aware of that and again, whinge and whine about paying that too ......  a relatively miserly sum in the great scheme of things ...................

and then ........ When the benefit of getting into CO2 savings for the planet will fall onto Hydrogen Power cars and zero annual Road Tax there at that time to encourage sales .......  just like the EV of today

I don't mind keeping on paying my 80% fuel duty with every drop I put into my not-so-eco-friendly ( so they tell me ) 4ltr V8 ........  vroom vroom :wink3:

oh, and is it only 80% ?? . to my simple mind it's probably 400% .....  being of the  £ per litre cost 20% incl all costs and profits, production costs, delivery costs etc .  and then ........  4 X that added on as Tax at the pump, at delivery :unsure:

Malc

I hope no policymaker finds your post. The VED's stated policy objective with its tiered structure is to influence the buying decision towards lower emission vehicles. What you're saying is that it's simply not powerful enough, so it's should be effectively raised. 

I for one in part chose the IS300h because I pay 10 quid a year (2015 reg). I factored in  that over 3 years, I'd be about a grand down should I have chosen a pure petrol car (I was also considering a C-class). If I end up keeping it longer, it's multiple thousands easily. For precisely nothing in return. Fuel duty is bad enough.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DBIZO said:

so it's should be effectively raised

not sure I really said that at all .....  what I did mean to say, whatever, was simply that, overall, the Govt intent to raise monies for all sorts of things with a mindset that can and does change with the wind ............. the car owning public can quite easily afford to pay a tad more in tax to run their esteemed vehicles ......  an extra £335 a year to run a £40k plus car is simply affordable ............ if it's not, then one should be buying, capital sum wise, a less expensive car methinks

I'm all for raising taxes on all sorts ...  lest we forget that whatever is raised in taxes, quite simply, flows back to US in some way or 'tother ......  NHS, Social Services, Armed Forces, HS2, Road repairs and whatever else you can think the Govt covers ....... oh ! and eventually to cover the amazing £400bn to help pay for the covid pandemic

I really don't mind everyone paying their fair share tbh

Malc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malc said:

not sure I really said that at all .....  what I did mean to say, whatever, was simply that, overall, the Govt intent to raise monies for all sorts of things with a mindset that can and does change with the wind ............. the car owning public can quite easily afford to pay a tad more in tax to run their esteemed vehicles ......  an extra £335 a year to run a £40k plus car is simply affordable ............ if it's not, then one should be buying, capital sum wise, a less expensive car methinks

I'm all for raising taxes on all sorts ...  lest we forget that whatever is raised in taxes, quite simply, flows back to US in some way or 'tother ......  NHS, Social Services, Armed Forces, HS2, Road repairs and whatever else you can think the Govt covers ....... oh ! and eventually to cover the amazing £400bn to help pay for the covid pandemic

Malc

I wonder how much of the £37 billion "wasted" on test and trace will "flow back to us". Can I just repeat that figure £37 billion, just imagine what that could have been used for! As for capital projects such as HS2, oh, if only you really knew. Additionally, I like millions of others have no need whatsoever to arrive at Birmingham 9 minutes sooner than would ordinarily be the case and yet every man woman and child will currently pay circa £2k for the privilege. As for road repairs - what repairs? I see absolutely no evidence of this, and in practice there are many roads in Surrey where you literally have to navigate a route rather than pay attention to one's driving. I'm afraid all I see is a colossal waste of money with precious little to no accountability. Curiously however our beloved council can waste thousands of pounds painting zebra crossings in rainbow colours to show how concerned they are about inclusivity! Saw my first one yesterday just outside Reigate and cannot say I am at all happy about paying that bill through my council tax!  

I, for one, am not at all in favour of further raising taxes, but I am in favour of of seeing those that I do pay yielding a positive benefit rather than being squandered as is patently the case with this current government. I'm also not sure why you think the car buying public can "quite easily pay a tad more in tax". Do you know something about this group's specific budgeting that others don't?

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Brian R said:

I wonder how much of the £37 billion "wasted" on test and trace will "flow back to us". Can I just repeat that figure £37 billion, just imagine what that could have been used for! As for capital projects such as HS2, oh, if only you really knew. Additionally, I like millions of others have no need whatsoever to arrive at Birmingham 9 minutes sooner than would ordinarily be the case and yet every man woman and child will currently pay circa £2k for the privilege. As for road repairs - what repairs? I see absolutely no evidence of this, and in practice there are many roads in Surrey where you literally have to navigate a route rather than pay attention to one's driving. I'm afraid all I see is a colossal waste of money with precious little to no accountability. Curiously however our beloved council can waste thousands of pounds painting zebra crossings in rainbow colours to show how concerned they are about inclusivity! Saw my first one yesterday just outside Reigate and cannot say I am at all happy about paying that bill through my council tax!  

I, for one, am not at all in favour of further raising taxes, but I am in favour of of seeing those that I do pay yielding a positive benefit rather than being squandered as is patently the case with this current government. I'm also not sure why you think the car buying public can "quite easily pay a tad more in tax". Do you know something about this group's specific budgeting that others don't?

Squandered 👍what a precise term to use Brian, well said. It needs more people like you to stand up and say enough is enough. At the end of this parliament total tax take across all fronts will be approaching 65%.For those people who do really hard, physical and long hour jobs where's their motivation to come from when they see their hard earned cash squandered? And at the same time see truly needy people in this country being neglected. 

• Like 1

and so it came to pass that the UKs problems all stem from an overtaxing, squandering Govt and politicians from all persuasions, and some none,  getting just about everything imaginable hopelessly wrong eh ! ............ nothing to do with the ne'er-do-wells and fraudsters and crooks in Society, politicians too amongst 'em I agree too ............  of course

Well, I quite agree .................  long may the car purchasing public be ever so frugal and concerned when buying their £40k plus cars and worrying, quite justifiably, about that extra £335 a year that's just not affordable ........... my heart bleeds for them all :whistling:

Malc

4 hours ago, Malc said:

Malc

I know it was not your intention to suggest that, but it follows from logic - if you think the VED is immaterial, than its not doing its purpose. On general taxation, in an idealised world I'd be inclined to agree. In the real world though, particularly in the past few years...

On 11/3/2021 at 6:57 PM, peniole said:

I thought the 40k threshold didn't apply to electric?

yup...."Any vehicle (excluding BEVs) with a list price of £40,000 or above will incur an additional premium rate for 5 years (starting from the second time the vehicle is taxed)."

It doesnt 

Our UXe was over £46k. I havent paid anything in VED 

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

It doesnt 

Our UXe was over £46k. I havent paid anything in VED 

I was confused on this but on looking it up it used to be case the "luxury tax" applied to electric cars over £40k but it was scrapped in 2020 so zero emission cars now pay no road tax at all regardless of their purchase price (not sure if that applies to pre 2020 models though). This is expected to continue for the next few years (to be read as once we start and see reduced tax takes due to enough people buying a zero emission car we'll wop those with a tax too... In the meantime we'll squeeze everyone else as hard as we can until they do what we say...) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

In the meantime we'll squeeze everyone else as hard as we can until they do what we say...) 

Shifting emissions from car tailpipes to powerplants in the UK and abroad, overseas mines, container ships and factories - with no credible plan to clean up power generation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DBIZO said:

Shifting emissions from car tailpipes to powerplants in the UK and abroad, overseas mines, container ships and factories - with no credible plan to clean up power generation.

Just kicking the can down the road... 

This should have been pointed out to you by your dealer in my opinion. I went to Volvo to look at the XC40 rechargeable which in base form was just over £40K. This was a factor which added to the case for the UX I purchased eventually. The Volvo salesman was very up front about the tax implications to their credit without me asking. Surprise they didn't make the XC40 £39,995 it was so close. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DBIZO said:

In the real world though, particularly in the past few years...

no personal taxation due on profits realised from one's own personal residence sale ........ and for the car collectors amongst us there's no Capital Gains Tax on any ( one ) car sale .........  so fill your boots with asset aspiring Rolls Royce s but don't become a Trader, just a private seller, maybe one a year until you've made your £ millions that you won't know what to spend it on :wink3:

Malc

caveat is I'm no accountant so don't believe a word I say about taxation .... rules ............ ok !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Malc said:

no personal taxation due on profits realised from one's own personal residence sale ........ and for the car collectors amongst us there's no Capital Gains Tax on any ( one ) car sale .........  so fill your boots with asset aspiring Rolls Royce s but don't become a Trader, just a private seller, maybe one a year until you've made your £ millions that you won't know what to spend it on :wink3:

Malc

caveat is I'm no accountant so don't believe a word I say about taxation .... rules ............ ok !

You are not an Accountant sir! I believe that you mean principal place of residence ?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links