Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alloy Centre Caps

I'm hoping one of you can help me please guys, I bought a replacement centre cap off eBay as one of mine has got a black mark on it so I wanted to swap it - what's the best way to get the old one off as it seems well stuck - do you need to take the alloy off and pop it from behind or is there a safe way to take it off without removing the entire alloy??

The old one just seems well inserted!

Thanks in advance,

Aido

Sounds like the story of my life :lol:

thanks Matt!

BTW, I'm looking for a torque wrench to get my calipers sorted soon but Halfrods want about 50 quid - does that sound right or can you get cheaper ones?

TIA.

Aye one of the lads at work has got one but I didn't realise that they were that much :ohmy:

Will borrow his and use the cash on paint :)

Thanks again mate!

Aido my freind.

You dont need to take the wheel off, and unless you have a torque wrench i would strongly recommend not going their. Just get a thin slotted screwdriver and the centre will pop off, put something under the screwdriver to protect the wheel i.e folded rag, cloth and prise away. I changed all four of mine recently with gold emblem centres and it took me about 60 seconds to do the 4. The reason i advised not to take the wheel off, is that unless you have a torque wrench their is a good chance you could snap of the the wheel threads when refitting as i found out recently. I thing you were one of the guys who gave me advise at the time.

Good luck mate.

Cheers lads, will get this sorted today - I'm assuming a cheapo torque wrench will last long enough to take the alloys of and put them back on a couple of times? I'm thinking now about for when I paint the calipers in a couple of months when it's warmer?!