Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The future of F

Found this article that highlights what lexus plans to do with the F brand. 

"Lexus F to introduce 4 levels of performance" https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1134068_lexus-f-to-introduce-4-levels-of-performance

I mean it'll be interesting to see.what actually gets dropped next based on that.

• Like 1

Interesting. Are they slowly becoming like JLR? Will there suddenly be a thousand optional extras to each vehicle?

I wonder how much of this ethos will trickle down to the small UK market.

• Sad 2

In my opinion if Lexus go down the road of trying to flog an RCF Track Edition type car then I'm out. I did wonder whether Lexus would loose the plot with RCF/GSF type cars, you know models that look subtle with monster engines and a decent turn of performance built in.

What attracted me to the RCF was the Q car looks of it, I hasten to add I had one of the very first E28 BMW M5's that came to the UK way back in 1985 and nobody knew what it was and I loved that. And to a certain extent that's why I like the RCF.

• Like 3

If we go from options of ML and/ or sunroof to would you like pack a/b/c/d/e for this and pack a/b/c/d/e for this etc like German manufacturers it would really kill my enthusiasm. I loved the simplicity of everything was standard and you had 2 options (aside colour). People are amazed all the kit came with it. I can understand more day to day cars having these option packs, and the Mrs did enjoy picking her NX options but the F was the 'everything' option to me.

I guess because I really do enjoy the Lexus brand, I'm likely to be intrigued and hold out hope it won't be a disaster, I do concur @B1RMA I love that a select few know what an RC F/ GS F is, I would be quite miffed if my interest was pushed out from Lexus and I had to get 'what everyone else is driving' - probs sound like a snob but I enjoy non-mainstream cars.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are both right. A huge factor of my love for the GSF came from its rarity, the fact I didn't drive past 174 Lexus's on the way to work also contributed towards this. 

Like yourselves I to am hoping they dont try to make it overly complicated of spec options like the Germans. But I doubt with the F proper range this will be the problem. 

The FSport Trim generally looks better for all of the cars IMHO - But the ride for some people isnt the most comfortable so the option of with or without suspension makes sense.  But 4 different tiers of F ? Feels hmmmm. 

I do not want the F to be shelved and am without a doubt nervous of "what next"

F Sport Design: Half the Current F Sport Design ( Probably a cheaper "F sport" Line than currently available )

F Sport Handling: F Sport suspension and handling options 

F Sport Performance:  Both of above and a more premium version of vehicle 

F:  Proper car... 

@Arnett I guess in terms of the '4 tiers' it is like the current tiers of F-Sport, Premier, Luxury and Takumi - if the tiers mentioned are the only tiers for 'F' then I'm fine with it, but my worry would be e.g. F Sport Handling + Premier + tech and safety pack or convenience pack. Getting awfully similar to other car brands and it becomes a money grab - this just doesn't feel remotely Lexus.

Mat Watson on car wow had an interesting remark regarding the new RS3, the interior vents could come with accented colours and there was an internal despute in Audi that it 'ruined design language' but 'was something they could sell as an option' - that is what worries me.

And enourmous fear that because the current IS500 F Sport Performance didn't make it into Europe, other cars of the same marque won't and that would give us know hope of the F coming either! 😬

• Like 1

@hockeyedwards Completely feel the same with regards to the Future of proper "F" cars, especially with continued push of "clean electric" cars. Londons expansion of ULEZ and if other places follow suit will damage this further.  Europe cars also have speed limiters being built in from next summer..... 

Despise the options for the sake of options mentality portrayed by most brands especially the germans. An anxious future of automotive choices lays ahead. 

Personally I wasnt bothered by the is500 nor do I count it as an F, but it does raise the concern of the V8 performance in the UK.  Whens the next big conference that any new motors may be unveiled? 

17 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

this just doesn't feel remotely Lexus.

Is exactly my feeling.

Lexus is a very niche brand as it is. Their CVT offering for most vehicles has scared off too many potential buyers already, thus making some of their models become very scarce - facelift MK4 GS450h F-Sport being a prime example.

Because of the small numbers sold, there is little in the second hand market to be choosing from. Speaking from a perspective of a second-hand market buyer, this leaves me with much less options when looking for my next vehicle. Beggars can't be choosers, but it is nice to know that when looking for a certain vehicle you are presented with many offering to suit your liking. In many cases with previous models you only had to look for a certain grade + ML pack.

For instance, suddenly whilst looking for a new ES, one is found looking for F-Sport Takumi Pack because the F-Sport has already been stripped of some of the features the GS F-Sport would already have had as standard. 

Now if Lexus decides to start offering their customers the ability to save some dollar to have the F-Sport styling on an otherwise bog standard vehicle, I'm sure many would be happy to make the compromise. Their NX couldn't possibly handle well anyway regardless of the suspension set-up, why not save and go for the spoilers kit only package? But along the way there will be a selection of features suddenly missing from 50% of the F-branded vehicles.

This already has been the case in the USA, we're lucky in the UK to have our options previously restricted by the franchise that runs the market, their ordering system bundles features and sells them as a specific grade, so hopefully this will remain the case for us to some extent. Although this is already proving quite challenging when looking at the available spec for the '22 NX.

With regards to the "proper" F cars... It's 2021, we're currently busy pretending to be trying to save the planet... The harsh reality is we only have 9 years left, ICE's are on their way out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4-wheel drive. 1 electric motor in each wheel. Powered by fuel cells.

That will come.

And be enough. More than enough for most people. Probably also expensive enough to only be available for the few that cannot live without.

Now, that it seems as A-powered electricity plants are no longer prohibited to talk about, it will be no problem to make green – really green hydrogen for fuel cells. EV Battery powered cars are a disaster promoted by stupid politicians and accepted by fools. The earth does not have material enough to make the batteries needed for all kind of transportation.

In my eyes the main problem with A-power is, that storing the waste has not yet been made a priority, and just leaving the problems to our children, is not morally acceptable. Wishing that some genius will come up with an idea how to reuse the waste is maybe overoptimistic.