Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3 Stages With Meguiars

Maz

Got my car back but now i need to wash it properly, i read one of the post and look like 3 stage is the best way to wash and polish the car, so i went out and got myself a Meguiars Gold class wash shampoo & conditioner, Meguiars Gold class clear coat liquid car wax, so what else do i need? as Pete said in another post 3 stage is Stage 1....paint/bodywork cleaner, Stage 2....polish, Stage 3....wax, so it that mean i use the Meguiars wash shampoo for stage 1, then the clear coat liquid wax for stage 3? if that the case what should i use for stage 2 the polish? as i alway though polish and wax are the same thing??? very confuse now.... :blink::blink::blink: ;) ;) ;) also what is the best way to wash the car? use sponge and buckets of water, or sponge and water hoses? its worth getting a jet wash from the like of BQ? any informations will b very grateful guys...... :) :) :) :)

Regards

Maz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maz,

Meguiars have a 3 stage cleaning system. Meguiars Website

Stage 1 of the Deep Crystal System

This non-abrasive cleaner safely removes bonded contaminants, light oxidisation, light scratches and swirls. If the paint doesn't feel as smooth as glass, this product should be used before any other product in the system is applied.

Stage 2 of the Deep Crystal System

This product is not a wax. It is a pure polish that conditions and nourishes the paint and is the secret to creating an awesome, deep, wet-look shine.

Stage 3 of the Deep Crystal System

This is the ideal product to protect the dazzling finish you created in Stage 2. This formula delivers tough, long-lasting Carnuba wax protection on all paints.

I used the Meguiars Gold class wash shampoo & conditioner, Meguiars Gold class clear coat liquid car wax and the car came up a treat My Car after Using Meguiars

I also bought Hot Rims Cleaner, microfibre Drying Towel (dogsballs) & Lambswool Wash Mitt. I also purchased a power washer from B&Q.

In all the years of driving I have never seen anything like it.

Tony, from what the lads were saying at Gaydon I think the Gold Class Wax also includes a polish so it is pretty much the same as the stage 2 & 3 products, and it's a bit shinier, but it doesn't last as long.

I think for the ultimate shiny effect you'd do the normal 3 stage and then when you've taken the stage 3 wax off you would apply the gold class wax!

When I washed mine I just used a bucket and a sponge with Autoglym shampoo (it's all I had) butI couldn't believe how much dirt came off when I did the stage 1 bit - amazing!

One word of warning though - your arm will be kiling you!

If you look at www.speeding.co.uk they sell the 3 stage system for £20 including delivery - not sure where you are in Yorkshire but they're Hessle or Hull I think

Before you do anything ...... check with the paint guys. I am sure new paint shouldn't have much done to it for a few weeks after it's been painted.

Meguiars is very good, I would think on a "new" car you would only need the wash and the Gold Wax, that's what I use on mine.

I wouldn't use a jetwash on a new paint finish, use two buckets and a sponge. One bucket with clean water the other with the wash stuff. Then everytime you take the sponge off the car put it in the clean ( well it was to start ) water first thei will loosen any dirt and leave it behing, then put it in wash .....

If you look at www.speeding.co.uk they sell the 3 stage system for £20 including delivery - not sure where you are in Yorkshire but they're Hessle or Hull I think

aido, i checked them out ages ago, that is a cracking deal!!!

saving almost £8 of the meguirs online. Its been the delivary charge thats been putting me off ordering.

saving almost £8 of the meguirs online. Its been the delivary charge thats been putting me off ordering.

Get it ordered Raz, took about 4-5 days for my stuff to come from when they posted it but it'll help build your arms up in preparation for the quick shift if you ever want one - just look at Pete - he's massive after all those Meguiars applications :whistling:

Only probelm with it is you can't stop looking at your car once you've first done it - I'm waiting for it to decide whether it's gonna rain or not so I can get the car shampooed quick so it's shiny again!

Get it ordered Raz, took about 4-5 days for my stuff to come from when they posted it but it'll help build your arms up in preparation for the quick shift if you ever want one - just look at Pete - he's massive after all those Meguiars applications :whistling:

who needs the gym hey?

Not into the quick shift stuff, thats why i'm in an auto B)

who needs the gym hey?

Erm, I do matey, still doing a mighty fine impression of Fat ***** out of the Austin Powers films, maybe a weekly 3 stage could help my figure (and take all the paint off my car!!) :whistling:

ok i manage to clean the inside of the car and now its clean, but it got too dark to wash the car, so i will try it tomorrow, is there anything i need to look out for when washing? i alway have problems drying the car after wash, i used Cotton Terry Towel before and it leave alots of bits on the car, so what should i use?

ok i manage to clean the inside of the car and now its clean, but it got too dark to wash the car, so i will try it tomorrow, is there anything i need to look out for when washing? i alway have problems drying the car after wash, i used Cotton Terry Towel before and it leave alots of bits on the car, so what should i use?

autglym flexi blade :)

great for doing your house windows as well :winky:

I bought a Megiuars Wash mitt when I bought the 3 stage - haven't tried it yet though but they're supposed to be very good... Will give it a go Friday and let you know if it's better than the sponge....

Give it a good hose down to dislodge as much dirt as U can B4 laying a finger on the body( oooh Miss Marple). I found that one of the large brush heads on an extension pole that fit on the end of your hosepipe (can't think of the proper name @ moment) that throw out gallons of water shift the remainder of the dirt a treat. (Got mine from Halfords, 'bout £20).You also stay nice & dry. Don't use too much pressure or you will sandpaper your motor.

Once done another hose down to clear any remaining dirt & then sponge time. I found the Decosol sponge is the dogs for this job, loads of warm soapy water with a good shampoo & start @ the top & work your way down (sounds familiar...). Final hose down then aqua-blade time.. best gadget ever invented, car 95% dry in 5 mins. Any remaining spots of water can be shifted with chamois leather etc..

Don't 4get to hose down inside the wheel arches. Stand back and admire as the cat from next door p*****s all over your clean car.

What is it with cats & clean cars ?

I have a lambswool mit and would reccomend one!

I personally wouldnt use a sponge, i'd go for a wash mitt of some description as when you use a sponge if something is on the paintwork you would just end up rubbing it in even more causing scratches and swirl marks where as the mitts are supposed to draw the particles into the glove.

Then afterwards put it in the washing machine and it comes out looking like new!

1) A wax is a coating to protect the surface. A polish is a fine abrasive. My car's three years old and the paint work is good enough not to need a polish.

2) A flexi-blade is good for getting rid of large amounts of water. But there's no alternative to a chamois which does it properly. After you've chamois'ed the car should be squeaky clean but not quite as glossy as after waxing. A good time to check if you need clay. If you wash your car in sunlight and the water dries out, it'll leave water marks which only scratch the car. Try and wait for a cloudy, dry day. The chamois should be damp but not soaking. Use the rough side.

3) Always wash the alloys before the car itself.

There's a whole section on 'detailing' your car, which covers all of this, somewhere on this site.

Got my car back but now i need to wash it properly, i read one of the post and look like 3 stage is the best way to wash and polish the car, so i went out and got myself a Meguiars Gold class wash shampoo & conditioner, Meguiars Gold class clear coat liquid car wax, so what else do i need? as Pete said in another post 3 stage is Stage 1....paint/bodywork cleaner, Stage 2....polish, Stage 3....wax, so it that mean i use the Meguiars wash shampoo for stage 1, then the clear coat liquid wax for stage 3? if that the case what should i use for stage 2 the polish? as i alway though polish and wax are the same thing??? very confuse now.... :blink::blink::blink: ;) ;) ;) also what is the best way to wash the car? use sponge and buckets of water, or sponge and water hoses? its worth getting a jet wash from the like of BQ? any informations will b very grateful guys...... :) :) :) :)

Regards

Maz

:D Hi i personally use a sponge but have tried wash mits and you can get one with wool on one side and netting on the other which is exellent for getting flys of the windscreen and the front end of your car.

I also use a hyperblade which are gud but you have to be carefull not to get any dirt or grit on them for if you dont you will put a scratch on your car.

I have never used mequires but personally swissol is the one for me and swissol uk is based in N.Yorks.

:D washing

nice paintwork

I think Meguirs is the best, but the results are always better on metalic paints. The darker the colour the better the result. My car is pearescant white and looks good but my last car (S-Type Jag) was dark metalic blue and that come up great. You could see the depth in the polish.

1) A wax is a coating to protect the surface. A polish is a fine abrasive. My car's three years old and the paint work is good enough not to need a polish.

2) A flexi-blade is good for getting rid of large amounts of water. But there's no alternative to a chamois which does it properly. After you've chamois'ed the car should be squeaky clean but not quite as glossy as after waxing. A good time to check if you need clay. If you wash your car in sunlight and the water dries out, it'll leave water marks which only scratch the car. Try and wait for a cloudy, dry day. The chamois should be damp but not soaking. Use the rough side.

3) Always wash the alloys before the car itself.

There's a whole section on 'detailing' your car, which covers all of this, somewhere on this site.

Do water marks really scratch the car ? If so how as I didn't know they did

Think it's something to do with the acidic properties in the rain water - it eats away at the paint..

I read somewhere that vinegar was good for getting rid of them - it was probably the Lexus detailing store where I read that?

Well here is some pics of the car after applying the Meguiars Gold class wash shampoo & conditioner and the Meguiars Gold class clear coat liquid car wax, wow the result is awesome, shame i didnt have time to drive the car out for some proper pics......... :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling: was getting dark by the time i done all the washing and waxing..... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Sorry for the dark pics, pics was taking inside my garage

who that fat man...hehehe :whistling::whistling::whistling:

another pics of the clean IS...Lol not often its this clean.. :whistling::whistling::whistling: :P :P

You've done a good job there Tony. Much better than when I saw it the other day. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Lol aye....... and its still spotless atm, look like that what i going to spend every Tuesday doing now....Wash, Wax, Wash, Wax, Wash, Wax.... :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling: