Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, today when I drove round town, for no reason  my car almost lost all  the power and when I  pressed the accelerator full the car still  didn't respond. I stop by the street side  and turn engine off and on again and the car started to  respond a little better and after drive for a half a  mile I  almost had full power  back again. doesn't show any fault on display.

Any of you have the same issue? any advice would be welcome. 

Thanks in advice.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

A lot of weird “faults” on hybrids are caused by the 12 Volt auxiliary Battery being on it’s way out, if the voltage is too low the computers get upset and confused so I would check that first.

Even though no faults are displayed there may be stored codes in the memory if you have a suitable code reader.

Finally all Lexus models tend to suffer from seized brake callipers generally due to lack of grease on the slider pins. If it does happen again check if any of the wheels are excessively hot by putting the back of your hand close to them or if there are hot brake smells.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

A lot of weird “faults” on hybrids are caused by the 12 Volt auxiliary battery being on it’s way out

Surely the traction Battery keeps the 12v topped up whilst car is active,  agree that weird things happen on start up if auxiliary Battery duff.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Duggie B said:

Surely the traction battery keeps the 12v topped up whilst car is active,  agree that weird things happen on start up if auxiliary battery duff.

Very true but if the Battery won’t accept the charge say due to a cell failure which will reduce the terminal voltage it could drop below the minimum required voltage even on charge.

• Thanks 1

Hi, Today i drove round town and was fine, the accelerator respond as normally, definitely was no the callipers. (I checked that yesterday) @steve2006

I just booked  with Lexus for a service do in a few weeks so if it has stored codes in the memory will  Lexus know if is the 12 Volt auxiliary Battery? or is another problem.

The mileage is only 27.000 @Initial P

Thanks you all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duggie B said:

If its cell failure the car wouldn't go into ready mode surely on start up as that's when admittedly small start up current is required and max demand as such is needed 

I’m no Battery expert just bouncing a few ideas around but I bow to your superior knowledge in these matters 😀

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, GS300h2014 said:

How very odd behaviour in a 27k miles 5 year old car. Could it be fuel contamination?

I have no idea but just in case I added 99 RON 

Fingers crossed you've got to the root cause, seems to be a lot of unrest regarding the E10 fuel and water content therein maybe the cars ecu has been trying to compensate to save damaging the engine if its detected poor quality fuel.

18 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

Fingers crossed you've got to the root cause, seems to be a lot of unrest regarding the E10 fuel and water content therein maybe the cars ecu has been trying to compensate to save damaging the engine if its detected poor quality fuel.

yes I know but the strange thing is that I have already have done 200 miles on the same tank.

Thanks for your help.

21 hours ago, HensTeeth said:

Just a thought - a lot of these cars have been the subject of a fuel pump recall - worth checking to see if it applies to your car and if it does, whether it's been done?

A very good point there Toby and welcome to the LOC.

On 11/9/2021 at 12:02 PM, HensTeeth said:

Just a thought - a lot of these cars have been the subject of a fuel pump recall - worth checking to see if it applies to your car and if it does, whether it's been done?

after checking,  it doesn't  apply for the pump recall

Thank you all for your advice, so far I don't have any more issues about loosing power, next week its going to Lexus for a service I will post if the report says anything

After listening to all your advice and reading  a lot on the web I think it was dodgy petrol. Do You all agree with me?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 10:26 PM, migi5 said:

Thank you all for your advice, so far I don't have any more issues about loosing power, next week its going to Lexus for a service I will post if the report says anything

After listening to all your advice and reading  a lot on the web I think it was dodgy petrol. Do You all agree with me?

I haven't had anymore issues and the service report didn't show anything, so it still a mystery, have any of you had a similar problem?

On 11/6/2021 at 9:16 AM, steve2006 said:

Very true but if the battery won’t accept the charge say due to a cell failure which will reduce the terminal voltage it could drop below the minimum required voltage even on charge.

Was exactly what happened on my GS450h. 

When the cells start going in the traction Battery, the 'ready' light would just go out and I'd have to stop and restart.
Might have just been a blip in one of the cells.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links