Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

Looking to get back into the Lexus camp having been away for a few years after selling my IS200. 

Thought I’d ask here to see people’s opinions between the F Sport and the SE-L petrol.  Gotta be an auto and wondered if there’s any major differences in the handling or indeed the equipment levels that sway people either way? Looking at the crazy prices at the moment think I’ll be looking at around reg 2010/11. Also interested to know if it’s worth going for lower mileage older car or higher mileage newer and out of interest, is the 2013 facelift better than the pre facelift on either model?

Thanks in advance! 

Bob 

In terms of equipment, a 2010 car is the one to go for and this applies to both F-Sport and SE-L. The whole IS range received (another) small facelift for MY2011, which removed some features and equipment which had otherwise been standard.

Main difference between SE-L and F-Sport is the interior. SE-L is more luxurious with full leather, wood trim on console and door cards, plus the seats are heated and cooled.

F-Sport interior has heated-only seats, plus they are a different design with more pronounced bolstering. They are also only half-leather as the central panels are covered in Alcantara.

The rest of the interior also has a more typical sporty feel - dark colour, including the headlining, whereas a large proportion of SE-Ls have light coloured seats etc.

Both models of this vintage ride on 18" wheels, so the only real mechanical difference is the suspension. An F-Sport has different springs and dampers with a 10mm lower ride height.

As for buying a newer example, there are some benefits. Main one is the looks, especially for the F-Sport. The 2011 version is more modern-looking with it's more angular bumper/spoiler and darkened headlights with signature DRLs.

Also I'm not sure exactly what mechanical changes were made (if any) for MY2011, but I do note that its filled with thinner oil from new (0w20 vs 5w30). Anyway, whatever the reason, a 2011 car has slightly lower emissions and fuel consumption, and as a result, falls into a lower VED category and costs £25 less to tax.

The main difference for me is the sportier look of the F-sport vs the (slightly) more luxurious interior of the SE-L. The vented seats don't seem to be doing a great deal so they're not a major loss if you decide to go for the F-sport. 

the later models 11+ have Bluetooth music so infotainment is probably the only better thing as everything else is mainly aesthetic I believe. If you are going for 11+ F-Sport, then I'd suggest getting one with DRLs as it makes the car look a lot newer, however pricing is so odd at the moment, I'd be looking at 2013+ (XE30 new shape) IS250 as you can scoop those for similar money to XE20 F-Sports.. 

2014 IS250 - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202110068176740

2011 IS250 F-Sport - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109117254777

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links