Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No sound on aftermarket stereo

Hi fitted an aftermarket kenwood  stereo to my 2004 Lexus rx300 but even though the stereo do comes on and everything seems to work but I have no sound any ideas please really annoying what I thought would be a simple change has me pulpy hair out

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bobgauntlett said:

Hi fitted an aftermarket kenwood  stereo to my 2004 Lexus rx300 but even though the stereo do comes on and everything seems to work but I have no sound any ideas please really annoying what I thought would be a simple change has me pulpy hair out

There was a time when it would have been easier to connect the mixer.  Most professional car audio installers would run away from Lexus audio systems as the speaker set up is designed to work with the original amplifier however plug and play solutions are available now.

Did you also purchase an interface to connect the new Kenwood head unit to the original amplifier or was the plan to use the small amp in the head unit (if it has one) or use a different amp with a line out converter perhaps? The difficulty is in how you send the audio signal to the speakers, hence Steve's question.

For plug and play interfaces search Metra Axxess or Beat-Sonic RX-82. 

• Like 1

It depends a lot on what spec your audio is. The Marc Levinson audio is a minefield to replace due to it being a closed system and having different levels to a normal amplifier.

The "Standard" audio is easier, but you do need to get power to the amplifier. If power isn't sent to it, it'll stay dead and the audio won't get through the amp to the speakers.  You need to find out which wire on the Lexus loom is the one that switches the amp on.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links