Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well, the NX's replacement has arrived. Just a word of thanks to fellow forum members for the invaluable advice and discussion during the years I had my NX. I can well imagine returning to Lexus when it has a wider range of EVs. By the way, I was pleasantly surprised by the strong residual value of my 2015 NX.

ev6small2.jpg

• Like 6

Congrats! Looks like a very nice car! Which one did you go for? an AWD?

Coincidently I have read about this car yesterday and even looked at the prices today!

Please let us know how the car performs, I am interested! 

9 hours ago, Martin J said:

Well, the NX's replacement has arrived. Just a word of thanks to fellow forum members for the invaluable advice and discussion during the years I had my NX. I can well imagine returning to Lexus when it has a wider range of EVs. By the way, I was pleasantly surprised by the strong residual value of my 2015 NX.

ev6small2.jpg

Very nice! I was at the local launch of the EV6 and got to say I was impressed. Will be test driving it later this month. I have made a provisional order for the NX 450h+ and will have to decide which way to go. Leaving the Lexus fold will be difficult! Will be interested to learn of your experience over the next few months. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 1:07 PM, peniole said:

Congrats. Let us know how you're getting on with the new car, driving impressions, noise, charging...etc.

Also, do you have some interior pics?

Thanks, still early days, haven't recharged yet. So far, impressed by the ride quality and handling, and the extraordinary acceleration.  Motorway wind and road noise is about the same as my NX. There are a few finishes which aren't up to Lexus quality, but overall build quality is on a par, and much better than I'd expected.

myinterior03.jpg

myinterior02.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Vlady said:

Congrats! Looks like a very nice car! Which one did you go for? an AWD?

Coincidently I have read about this car yesterday and even looked at the prices today!

Please let us know how the car performs, I am interested! 

Thanks. Yes, this is an AWD.  Very good ride and handling, and astonishing acceleration (I see one road test says 4.8 sec to 60, though I'm still treating it gently).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

That looks very nice, I prefer it to the Ioniq 5. What's it like to drive? 

Yes, I think it's a better-resolved design than the Ioniq5. It's great to drive, though I'm still getting used to it. 

Curious as to why you picked the EV6 over a Tesla 3 or Y. Are there good incentives in price for the EV6? more comfortable? fit and finish? supercharge network vs public charging? Sorry for the 3rd degree 😀 genuinely interested in the reasoning.

• Like 1

My thinking was along these lines:

1. The EV6 is much better-looking, especially in the metal. In fact I think it's one of the best designs on the market. Realise that's subjective!

2. Too many build quality/quality control problems in the Model 3 to ignore. EV6 has flawless paint and Lexus-like panel gaps; & no delivery issues (touch wood). Realise that Tesla supposedly improving.

3. Don't like the Model 3/Y control ergonomics - too much controlled through the touch screen (okay in the showroom, not so good on lane 3 of the M1 in heavy spray at 70 mph) and speedo too far from line of sight.

4. EV6 800V architecture means faster charging than Model 3/Y (though admittedly not many 350kW chargers around yet; banking on that improving).

5. A local dealer to deal with rather than remote Tesla service.

6.  Better driving position (for me) than Model 3 (haven't seen a Y) and hatchback practicality.

7.  Similar performance and range (M3 LR has longer WLTP range but in most tests Kia have come closer to achieving WLTP range).

Ultimately the only area where Tesla had a clear lead was the Supercharger network, and it wasn't enough. On price, no discounts on EV6 (Kia are building a long waiting list) but similar price to M3, and cheaper than comparably equipped Model Y.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I came to the same conclusions you had on the model 3, hated

- driving position

- lack of a lot of direct controls while relying heavily on the central screen

- lack of instrument cluster

Thanks for your insights on the EV6

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a test drive of the EV6 today - a GT line S with RWD. Got to say I was impressed and it is a stunning looking vehicle that has a presence on the road. Acceleration is fantastic, road and wind noise minimal resulting in an almost silent drive. It feels solidly built and panel/trim fit was excellent albeit I don't think it's quite upto Lexus standards in terms of interior materials. Interesting that a Battery heater is being recommended as an option (£900) to help to maintain range. It appeared to be quite frugal with the range only dropping significantly when the air con was switched on. It certainly is a serious contender in the market place and would certainly win my vote as the best looking EV on sale at present. An order placed today for a GT Line S AWD with metallic paint and Battery heater is being quoted for April delivery. I will test drive the 450h+(I have an option on one) before making a final decision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2021 at 3:26 PM, Martin J said:

A local dealer to deal with rather than remote Tesla service.

Obviously the negative to this is they need to keep their dealers happy so have a normal service interval schedule for the vehicle to generate them some revenue.

Ken R and Colin Mclean -  BEWARE just read on an EV Forum that Kia have shortage of Heat Pumps and are shipping vehicles  without pumps even if originally ordered with them. Apparently the Heat pumps not available till next March,  also questions about whether they can be retro fitted to vehicles already delivered.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Obviously the negative to this is they need to keep their dealers happy so have a normal service interval schedule for the vehicle to generate them some revenue.

Service intervals of 20,000 miles/2 years are an improvement on most ICE/hybrid cars.

19 hours ago, stepheneric said:

Ken R and Colin Mclean -  BEWARE just read on an EV Forum that Kia have shortage of Heat Pumps and are shipping vehicles  without pumps even if originally ordered with them. Apparently the Heat pumps not available till next March,  also questions about whether they can be retro fitted to vehicles already delivered.

Can you provide a source for this? 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 10:32 PM, talaipwros said:

any 12V battery issues? seems to be a common KIA problem - hopefully now resolved

Not so far. Only 12V Battery I've had to replace was in my NX (a side effect of the first lockdown).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stepheneric said:

Martin J.  kiaevforums.com/threads/awd-uk-availability-march-2022.247.  Scroll down to comments approx 26days ago plus once on the forum have a look around.

I see no evidence for this on that forum, apart from some speculation and misunderstanding about whether heat pumps can be dealer fitted.  They can't, as far as I know (have you seen how complex the plumbing is?).  It's possible that some customers may have opted to forego heat pumps to hasten delivery times. Kia UK secured a lot of build slots of RWD cars without heat pumps, which is why AWD and HP customers are having to wait longer now. Fortunately I pre-ordered in May & got an early build slot.

21 hours ago, DanD said:

How is the honeymoon going Martin, still happy with the car and the swap to a full EV?

Yes, thanks, fabulous drive with great ride/handling compromise and what I can only imagine are RC-F levels of acceleration (up to 70, anyway). First 600 mile trip averaged 3.7 miles/kWh, with 290 mile range. The app for remote control of the car is not so great, but hopefully that will improve. I imagine Lexus will Lexify the Toyota bZ4x at some point, but it'll have to be really special to better the EV6.