Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I was reading the latest edition of Top Gear at Lexus Swindon this morning. Good review of the EV6, mostly positive until the final paragraph, where they noted the effect of ‘crippling range anxiety.’ They also noted the number of hours added to their journey through the need to re-charge.

Coincidentally, I passed the nearby Hyundai dealer. They have a new hydrogen powered car available, with banners proclaiming that hydrogen is ‘the fuel of the future’ with no ‘range anxiety.’ A cynic would say that car companies are pushing electric vehicles in order to recoup their development costs…

I’m no expert - at all - and only go on what I read and hear. I know that electric is sub-optimal as things stand for somebody competing regular longer journeys as I do. However, I listened to a very interesting radio piece last week which stated the US is very unlikely to adopt EVs widely due to the distances involved in road travel there. The premise was that hydrogen would be a more likely solution, and that we could see a Europe with EVs and US / Australia and Asia more with Hydrogen. 

I’m sticking with a petrol / hybrid for now, and will see what the situation is in 3-4 years. The KIA looks great, but who knows what the future holds…after all, 100 years ago, batteries and electric for personal transport (or steam!) did look like they’d win the day. Interesting times.

• Like 1

Just now, Ala Larj said:
7 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

’ A cynic would say that car companies are pushing electric vehicles in order to recoup their development costs…

A sceptic might say that car companies are going down the electric route because that’s where governments are giving incentives due to the pressure of environmental pressure and their need to get the ‘green’ vote. However, I believe this to be short sighted as the amount of electricity needed to provide power for transport of the future cannot be provided to replace fossil fuel power unless they invest in alternative technology. Governments only look four to five years ahead as all they care about is re-election. Car companies are just responding to governmental initiatives rather than informing governmental policies. Hydrogen power has to be the future as it is the most abundant element in the universe! Electrical power relies upon producing more power which is problematic whilst we’re trying to reduce the use of fossil fuels and also relies on mining more and more rare metals for the batteries. And don’t get me started on what we’re to do with the spent batteries! Maybe this should be in the moaning today post! 

• Like 3

It doesn’t matter what the problems are, it has to be done and setting targets pushes the manufacturers to get it sorted.  I’m amazed that in COP26 they didn’t set targets for the scrapping of older more polluting cars, stop the American nonsense of using these big polluting engines in new cars, get Germany to cap autobahn speeds at the same as rest of Europe and ban the use of leather in car production.  

3 hours ago, Don C said:

It doesn’t matter what the problems are, it has to be done and setting targets pushes the manufacturers to get it sorted.  I’m amazed that in COP26 they didn’t set targets for the scrapping of older more polluting cars, stop the American nonsense of using these big polluting engines in new cars, get Germany to cap autobahn speeds at the same as rest of Europe and ban the use of leather in car production.  

That is called politics im afraid. Every Government has different interests so the outcome will always be a compromise of a compromise.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links