Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2013 RX450h - Any major routine repairs/replacement parts on the horizon?

Hi

I have a low mileage (54k) 8 year old RX450h - are there any potential major routine repairs / replacement parts that I should expect over the next 2-5 years?

My front air shock absorbers apparently needs changing (£2k) so I am trying to decide if there are any potential 'big' service costs coming my way  soon.

Thank you

David

I’m assuming that the “big” service including spark plugs was done at 6 years rather than mileage based (60,000) so if that is the case no biggies again until 120,000 or 12 years.

https://www.lexusofsarasota.com/lexus-rx-450h-maintenance-schedule/

The biggest cause of wear on any car in the UK is the poor road qualities we all pay to have maintained!!! So suspension components, as you have already discovered, are the prime failure area. Wishbones, ball joints, ARB components to name a few.

Everything else is generally reliable 😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I’m assuming that the “big” service including spark plugs was done at 6 years rather than mileage based (60,000) so if that is the case no biggies again until 120,000 or 12 years.

https://www.lexusofsarasota.com/lexus-rx-450h-maintenance-schedule/

The biggest cause of wear on any car in the UK is the poor road qualities we all pay to have maintained!!! So suspension components, as you have already discovered, are the prime failure area. Wishbones, ball joints, ARB components to name a few.

Everything else is generally reliable 😀

Thanks Steve that's very helpful. Much appreciated. 

• Like 1

That link is for the US, and also the gen 4 model?

Just looked in the service book for my 2014 RX, it mentions plugs at 60,000 miles only, not six years, so you might find they haven't been done yet. They haven't been done on mine, which has just clicked over 50k. Air filter is every 40,000 miles/four years, so timewise you're due one (if not already done), otherwise you're a long way off from the engine coolant at 100k or invertor coolant at 150,000 miles.

9 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

That link is for the US, and also the gen 4 model?

Just looked in the service book for my 2014 RX, it mentions plugs at 60,000 miles only, not six years, so you might find they haven't been done yet. They haven't been done on mine, which has just clicked over 50k. Air filter is every 40,000 miles/four years, so timewise you're due one (if not already done), otherwise you're a long way off from the engine coolant at 100k or invertor coolant at 150,000 miles.

Well that depends on whether the car has been serviced by Lexus.  I asked at my last service at Lexus dealership if the plug replacement could be deferred as my car had only just gone over 40K miles.  I was told it had to be done on age if I wanted service book stamped.  I was told you can't just omit parts of due service.  If car is serviced elsewhere you might well be able to get get book stamped even if plugs not changed.

20 hours ago, David Chan said:

I have a low mileage (54k) 8 year old RX450h

20 hours ago, David Chan said:

My front air shock absorbers apparently needs changing (£2k)

I'm quite shocked at such a young age and tiny mileage that the front air suspension needs changing ,,,,,,,,  anyone else advised you about this ?

This age and mileage falls well outside what we expect Lexus itself to usually find acceptable .... as the " life " of the parts ....  10 years / 100k miles

Malc

8 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Well that depends on whether the car has been serviced by Lexus.  I asked at my last service at Lexus dealership if the plug replacement could be deferred as my car had only just gone over 40K miles.  I was told it had to be done on age if I wanted service book stamped.  I was told you can't just omit parts of due service.  If car is serviced elsewhere you might well be able to get get book stamped even if plugs not changed.

Interesting how different Lexus dealerships interpret it then - mine did not require this when I had it serviced by a main dealer at 40k miles and six years old.

My service book is clear that plugs need to be changed only at 60,000 miles, unlike most other items it doesn't give a time alternative.

8 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Interesting how different Lexus dealerships interpret it then - mine did not require this when I had it serviced by a main dealer at 40k miles and six years old.

My service book is clear that plugs need to be changed only at 60,000 miles, unlike most other items it doesn't give a time alternative.

Maybe Lexus dealerships, or at least some of them, are following procedure more assiduously, particularly as they are now giving extended warranty with each service. Changing s/plugs is quite involved due to difficulty of reaching the rear bank but should should not be essential for 80+K miles.  However, looked at through Lexus eyes, they don't want you to start departing from the set procedure by omitting this and that.   

Thank you all for your replies.

I have clarified the shock absorber issue with the Lexus dealer and their engineer.

Last year during the road test on the 'full' service, they heard a 'knocking' sound although on visual inspection, it looked good. They therefore advised that I had it changed last year which I refused (thankfully).

When I sent it in for the interim service last week, the same engineer who did it last year said it looked completely fine and therefore doesn't need replacing.

They apologised for asking me to replace it last year and we shall await the full service next year before I make any rash decisions so for now I will be keeping the car.

I will find out about the spark plugs as well.

• Like 1

David, I think you're in with a bunch of shisters tbh ......  I would find an upfront and more honest garage to deal with for the future ......  these guys just want to empty your pockets methinks ..........  a year later and THEY have saved you £2k :whistling: .......  Main Stealer Dealer eh !

Malc

I recently bought my 450 that the mileage was around 30k but as it had just arrived at being 6 years old the dealer said it had to have its 6 year/ 60.000 service prior to me collecting it & book stamped as such.

This was at Lexus Coventry.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Malc said:

David, I think you're in with a bunch of shisters tbh ......  I would find an upfront and more honest garage to deal with for the future ......  these guys just want to empty your pockets methinks ..........  a year later and THEY have saved you £2k :whistling: .......  Main Stealer Dealer eh !

Malc

Yes you're right! They certainly haven't filled me with confidence (Lexus Plymouth)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Am I alone in thinking that Lexus customer service is not what it was?

it used to create Raving Fans……I’m not hearing that now.

Since my first Lexus experience in 1999 things have changed ….

all this used to be green fields……

• Like 1