Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disappointed with first service

19 minutes ago, Bounce75 said:

The service schedule in my 2020 IS300h show the filter is replaced every 12 months or 10,000 miles, the dealer confirmed this yesterday when they replaced it. 

It's strange that they have changed the schedule to a mileage one to a combination mileage/time-based one. The one I attached is an official Lexus document, do you have a copy of the newer one applicable to your car you can share here?

I very much doubt that these degrade when unused (as yours would have largely been over 3K+ miles) unless you are talking about something left in place for, maybe, 5-10 years. Maybe this is the source of the confusion.

Or maybe the mechanic just couldn't have been ar$ed ...

Oh, and I wouldn't take this to the Police. Lexus yes; taking it to the police, eh, hello?

• Like 1

Doesn’t Lexus still mail a Quality-of-Service questionnaire immediately after servicing, so that you can register complaints and mark the quality of the dealership’s services on a scale of 10?  Serious complaints, of which billing for services not rendered would be one, and average scores of below 7 (I believe), would automatically bring an investigatory visit to the dealer from the Lexus regional inspector. All with a minimum of the sort of irritation that you the customer don’t want. 

Interesting thread this, I got my second service done on my IS about a month ago and about a week before i put my car in to Lexus my tyre pressure warning light started comming on first thing in the morning then would quickly go out once i started driving so i thought thats fine the lights going out so i will leave it for lexus to check and adjust as it clearly stated on the checksheet from my first service that this will be done. Got my car back and low and behold my tyre pressure warning light came back on first thing in the morning and then went out while driving. So i check all my tyres and 3 of them are a touch under 2.5 bar and one is approx 2.0bar. so i pump up all the tyres back to 2.5 bar and the light has never came back on in the last month.

So...... i think its fair to say that when it says 'check and adjust tyre pressures' on the checksheet they mean 'ignore and ignore', More worry still this is one of the simplest and most basic checks, what else is not being done?  I filled out the satisfaction questionaire and ticked no to 'was my car fixed' and explained above what happened, so far i havent heard anything back.

Also interesting was that when i first booked my car in on phone at 10.30am they said its a bigger service and car would be ready at 6pm, then when i dropped it off the guy said it would be about 4.30pm then finally i get a call at 2.30pm saying my car is ready. Im starting to think im paying for the most expensive was and valet around, not good

• Like 2

2 hours ago, route66 said:

It's strange that they have changed the schedule to a mileage one to a combination mileage/time-based one. The one I attached is an official Lexus document, do you have a copy of the newer one applicable to your car you can share here?

I very much doubt that these degrade when unused (as yours would have largely been over 3K+ miles) unless you are talking about something left in place for, maybe, 5-10 years. Maybe this is the source of the confusion.

Or maybe the mechanic just couldn't have been ar$ed ...

Oh, and I wouldn't take this to the Police. Lexus yes; taking it to the police, eh, hello?

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/service/maintenance-schedules

I am at work at the moment, so don't have access to service schedule, but found this on the Lexus site.

I certainly will not be going to the Police, they have done nothing wrong now officially as they have replaced it.🤔

• Like 1

Ref. Your tyre pressure sensors. They have probably ignored them on the basis of the recent winter temperature drops that we've encountered that can trigger the tyre sensor alarms causing the light to illuminate. 

2 minutes ago, cadman2k said:

Ref. Your tyre pressure sensors. They have probably ignored them on the basis of the recent winter temperature drops that we've encountered that can trigger the tyre sensor alarms causing the light to illuminate. 

I had that - frightened the life out of me!

I bought my 2007 RX400h at 66K miles from a dealer in early 2016. The Service Book showed a first stamp from the Bristol Toyota Import Centre (company car??) followed by four stamps from Lexus Derby (used by the previous private owner to me) and a final one from an independent garage who serviced and MOT’d it just prior to my purchase.

I have always serviced my own cars as far as I’m able (Ford models early on followed by a wide range of Citroen’s) and my intention has been to continue to treat the Lexus the same way. Needless to say I was appalled to see the state of the pollen filter when I came to inspect it - it was absolutely filthy and I strongly suspect it was the original from when the car was new.

The Lexus service schedule requires clean or replace at an Intermediate Service 10k miles / 1 year and replace at a Full Service 20k miles / 2 years. This was clearly never carried out on my car.

My Lexus has never been “Serviced” by an official dealership since purchase and I intend to keep it that way especially after reading about member’s negative experiences with Lexus Carlisle, who are my nearest dealer.

With my set of tools plus my trusty Techstream and practical info from this forum and US ones long may I continue - rust permitting (the car not me!).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, route66 said:

Indeed.

I've just checked the official service schedule for the IS300H (attached) and - if I'm reading it correctly - it looks like it should be replaced every 15K miles in normal conditions, and every 7.5K miles in dusty conditions.

On a related note, I replaced this filter on my IS300H with an official part. When I removed the old pollen filter, there were arrows on the leading edge that pointed down. Alongside a message stating they should be facing up. According to the service record, it was last replaced by a Lexus dealer ...

Official IS service schedule.pdf 44.14 kB · 6 downloads

Here is the schedule from my service book, the only one that isn't replaced yearly is the CT200.

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3562.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bounce75 said:

Here is the schedule from my service book, the only one that isn't replaced yearly is the CT200.

That's very clear - and also very different to the other official one.

I'm not an expert but am reasonably confident that replacing a 1 year-old pollen filter in a car that has only covered 3+K miles is a waste of time and resources. Maybe the new schedule was dictated by someone who wasn't technical or had an overwhelming desire to have an very simple servicing schedule that couldn't be misinterpreted. Even though it was.

In any case, if you were charged for something that is hidden from view and wasn't actually fitted, then it does little to impart confidence in everything else. How would you know if the diff oil was replaced for instance? Or the spark plugs? If these are not replaced, you will probably not notice - most especially in the short-medium term. It's all about trust and when that goes, things tend to break down. Literally.

6 hours ago, route66 said:

That's very clear - and also very different to the other official one.

I'm not an expert but am reasonably confident that replacing a 1 year-old pollen filter in a car that has only covered 3+K miles is a waste of time and resources. Maybe the new schedule was dictated by someone who wasn't technical or had an overwhelming desire to have an very simple servicing schedule that couldn't be misinterpreted. Even though it was.

In any case, if you were charged for something that is hidden from view and wasn't actually fitted, then it does little to impart confidence in everything else. How would you know if the diff oil was replaced for instance? Or the spark plugs? If these are not replaced, you will probably not notice - most especially in the short-medium term. It's all about trust and when that goes, things tend to break down. Literally.

Yes I agree with the trust issue now, that is why I have emailed the service manager.

As I said I have a 3 year service agreement with them & want to feel confident going forward.

It could have been a genuine mistake, but I really don't want any more mistakes genuine or not.

There is another dealer from the same group another 10 miles further away, I could use them in the future if the manager doesn't respond.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bounce75 said:

There is another dealer from the same group another 10 miles further away, I could use them in the future if the manager doesn't respond.

if the manager doesnt respond to your email then you have

your answer regarding wether you use the dealership or not

No response = Doesn't care

• Like 2

Changing the cabin filter is one of the few tasks, along with topping up the sprinkler fluid and maybe changing the wipers, that I was always inclined and able to do for myself rather than wait, and therefore pay, for them as part of scheduled maintenance.  By almost invariably using non-original parts and products, I have saved quite a bit of money over the years and correspondingly deprived manufacturers and dealers of income.  By introducing all-in charges for scheduled servicing Lexus recovers that income so that its gain has in recent years become my loss.  Given that the tasks in question can be priced as single operations and therefore subtracted, if not required, from the all-in service price, I have toyed with the idea of negotiating with my dealer accordingly.  That I have not done so is basically because I can't be bothered, and, in any case, although I don't like Lexus prices, I have never over many years had the slightest occasion to doubt the quality and honesty of my dealer's work.

23 hours ago, stepheneric said:

Bring back the good old days when all parts that had been replaced where placed in a bag in the passenger footwell.

I remember having both front CV joints replaced under warranty on my 1987 MINI Mayfair (they generally only lasted 15k miles but the 1970s BL sourced versions lasted much longer - go figure) and the dealer did exactly that with the old, oily ones. In the days before recycling I guess they went to landfill…

I have just received an email from the service manager apologising for the error, he said if the filter was not changed I should have received a partial refund & this clearly did not happen.

As I said the filter has been changed now, so I am prepared to accept this as a genuine mistake & hope nothing like this happens again.😀 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bounce75 said:

I have just received an email from the service manager apologising for the error, he said if the filter was not changed I should have received a partial refund & this clearly did not happen.

As I said the filter has been changed now, so I am prepared to accept this as a genuine mistake & hope nothing like this happens again.😀 

Hopefully it will signal to them that they can't do this in future - to you or others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, route66 said:

Hopefully it will signal to them that they can't do this in future - to you or others.

He did say he is going to bring it up in the morning meeting tomorrow & make other people aware so that it is avoided in the future, maybe just lip service, who knows?

• Like 1

Cant say I've been impressed with Lexus service.  First time I tool my CT for a service (3 years old but full dealer history) they advised a minor oil leak - I suggested it was covered under the approved used warranty (bought from another dealer so they didn't know it was under cover).  Told me oil leaks were not covered.

Called the warranty provider who agreed it should be covered, so called dealer back to say it was covered and suddenly it was very minor so they would just clean and monitor next time it was in......over 3 years it was never mentioned again.

Also failed to wash the car a few times as "ran out of time" or problem in the wash bay" so have just used my local indy for the IS at a fraction of the cost.  I think Lexus are very good at the coffee and nice lounges plus the product is very reliable, but I imagine the tecs are just following a check list the same as kwik fit or any other servicing outfit

• Like 3

On 11/9/2021 at 12:06 PM, route66 said:

Indeed.

I've just checked the official service schedule for the IS300H (attached) and - if I'm reading it correctly - it looks like it should be replaced every 15K miles in normal conditions, and every 7.5K miles in dusty conditions.

On a related note, I replaced this filter on my IS300H with an official part. When I removed the old pollen filter, there were arrows on the leading edge that pointed down. Alongside a message stating they should be facing up. According to the service record, it was last replaced by a Lexus dealer ...

Official IS service schedule.pdf 44.14 kB · 8 downloads

Where did you download this from, would love to find one for my ES?

1 hour ago, peniole said:

Where did you download this from, would love to find one for my ES?

Good question!

As far as I remember, I got it from someone on this forum who - probably - got if from the Lexus tech site. Not sure of its value anymore if it has been superseded by something else!

Having said all that, make a start here: www.lexus.eu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shame that information that is available in paper format isn't just shared electronically without having to pay a subscription. Sadly, hardly unique to toyota/lexus.

Trust has been broken, for me no manner of apology would suffice, a strongly worded letter to lexus main with the dealer copied in while taking my business elsewhere should send a strong signal. Then again who knows, you may just end up inconveniencing yourself for nothing and they don't care.

On 11/9/2021 at 3:50 PM, cadman2k said:

Sorry Cadman not buying that, the warning light was out when i arrived at Lexus and for sure wouldnt have come on in their heated workshop. So they have a car to service with a list of tasks to do which they clearly didnt do, if they had did what they were supposed to they would have noticed one tyre was nearly 0.5 bar lower than the other 3 and pumped it up accordingly. Are you really implying that come winter they drop the tyre pressure check and adjust task from the list?

Robert