Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disappointed with first service

59 minutes ago, 200h said:

I found those tables, the combined one you posted, and the individuals. They are generic lexus, not model specific. All they had to do was add the asterisks...etc they have in the model specific ones.

3 minutes ago, peniole said:

I found those tables, the combined one you posted, and the individuals. They are generic lexus, not model specific. All they had to do was add the asterisks...etc they have in the model specific ones.

Looking at that table, the Full 20 service shows replace brake fluid & remote Battery, do Lexus charge extra for this? The only thing I can see with an extra charge is the 4 wheel alignment.

Hi Robert

i'd of thought tyre pressures would be checked as a matter of course

and for the pressures to be corrected where needed,

tyre pressures are so important for the following :-

fuel economy, handling, braking ,maintaining the correct

tyre operating temperature, ride comfort ,tyre wear

and im sure there are more that i havent thought of.

so yes in my opinion they should of been checked.

1 hour ago, peniole said:

Shame that information that is available in paper format isn't just shared electronically without having to pay a subscription. Sadly, hardly unique to toyota/lexus.

Trust has been broken, for me no manner of apology would suffice, a strongly worded letter to lexus main with the dealer copied in while taking my business elsewhere should send a strong signal. Then again who knows, you may just end up inconveniencing yourself for nothing and they don't care.

Interesting how quickly we all forget the dramatic effect CV-19 has had /is having on a business. Just read some of the Trip Advisor reviews to see how unforgiving some people can be. To say "no manner of apology would suffice" places you in very very difficult place and I would urge you to revisit the words of Epictetus 🔜

21 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Interesting how quickly we all forget the dramatic effect CV-19 has had /is having on a business. Just read some of the Trip Advisor reviews to see how unforgiving some people can be. To say "no manner of apology would suffice" places you in very very difficult place and I would urge you to revisit the words of Epictetus 🔜

Charging to replace a maintenance item, and to not do it, is despicable practice (legally fraud).

20 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

That's a reasonable point Phil - but in fairness, you were suggesting the matter be brought to the Police in an earlier response in this thread.

I would have strong doubts that this was a simple mistake and would have raised the matter at a level where I felt it would make an impact, and for me, that would be with Lexus itself.

Having said that, its also nice to be nice and I often go out of my way to provide positive feedback when it is deserved - which it very often is. To be clear, I have never had any reason to doubt the service I have received in either my Toyota or Lexus garages I used here in Dublin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bounce75 said:

Looking at that table, the Full 20 service shows replace brake fluid & remote battery, do Lexus charge extra for this? The only thing I can see with an extra charge is the 4 wheel alignment.

They are included, so is the alignment check, but alignment adjustment (if needed) is charged as extra.

5 minutes ago, peniole said:

They are included, so is the alignment check, but alignment adjustment (if needed) is charged as extra.

Ah ok, great. 
I know with my previous 2 Volvos the brake fluid change was chargeable. 👍

19 minutes ago, route66 said:

That's a reasonable point Phil - but in fairness, you were suggesting the matter be brought to the Police in an earlier response in this thread.

I would have strong doubts that this was a simple mistake and would have raised the matter at a level where I felt it would make an impact, and for me, that would be with Lexus itself.

Having said that, its also nice to be nice and I often go out of my way to provide positive feedback when it is deserved - which it very often is. To be clear, I have never had any reason to doubt the service I have received in either my Toyota or Lexus garages I used here in Dublin.

Like your last paragraph very much👍

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, peniole said:

Charging to replace a maintenance item, and to not do it, is despicable practice (legally fraud).

Absolutely Peniole my point entirely , and if you can prove it get them charged. If a few cases like that get pursued through the courts it should persuade a few others not to do it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Absolutely Peniole my point entirely , and if you can prove it get them charged. If a few cases like that get pursued through the courts it should persuade a few others not to do it. 

To that end, I spend about 15 minutes going over the car after receiving it back from service. My checklist:

- Body (dings, dents, scratches), why I always take my car pre-washed/waxed to the dealer and clean inside out, pics on phone. Will never let the dealer do a cleaning.

- Mileage check, also odo pic beforehand.

- Oil and other fluid level checks. I tell them to not fill windshield wiper res. I use distilled water with concentrate to appropriate dilution. Haven't seen a dealer who doesn't use tap water for their mixes.

- Tyre pressure check, learned that one a long time ago when handed a brand new car with tyres still at transport inflation pressures 40+PSI iirc. Now I just adjust at home with my own pump and tell them not to screw with them.

- Undercarriage check, make sure they haven't forgotten anything, broke a clip and put wire instead (jag I'm looking at you)

- Boot check, did they put back the wheel lock key.

- Wheel check, curbed, or damaged (pics beforehand, anyone seeing a theme emerging)

- Interior check

- Remove any silly maintenance stickers or tags.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, peniole said:

To that end, I spend about 15 minutes going over the car after receiving it back from service. My checklist:

- Body (dings, dents, scratches), why I always take my car pre-washed/waxed to the dealer and clean inside out, pics on phone. Will never let the dealer do a cleaning.

- Mileage check, also odo pic beforehand.

- Oil and other fluid level checks. I tell them to not fill windshield wiper res. I use distilled water with concentrate to appropriate dilution. Haven't seen a dealer who doesn't use tap water for their mixes.

- Tyre pressure check, learned that one a long time ago when handed a brand new car with tyres still at transport inflation pressures 40+PSI iirc. Now I just adjust at home with my own pump and tell them not to screw with them.

- Undercarriage check, make sure they haven't forgotten anything, broke a clip and put wire instead (jag I'm looking at you)

- Boot check, did they put back the wheel lock key.

- Wheel check, curbed, or damaged (pics beforehand, anyone seeing a theme emerging)

- Interior check

- Remove any silly maintenance stickers or tags.

Do you offer this as a service? If I was in Lancashire I may just pay for it 😂. Having said that you reminded me of a chap I worked with who had a company car, in 1971! Very privileged. He kept it absolutely as new and when it went in for a service he would covertly mark nuts bolts etc to check work had been done 😱

• Like 1

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see how it was a genuine mistake when they were aware of it, ie. the technician hadn't been sent the filter. Why not ask for a one then - they tick off a check list so would know...they don't just blindly install what they're sent without knowing exactly what's needed.

Had my GSF serviced in August, but they didn't have an Air Filter in stock. They temporarily cleaned the  existing one and advised me that I'd need to bring it back (it took 8 weeks to arrive) but they flagged this to me not vice versa as in this case (although you could argue they should maybe have preempted it).

I can see why it would knock your confidence in tne dealer. 

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Do you offer this as a service? If I was in Lancashire I may just pay for it 😂. Having said that you reminded me of a chap I worked with who had a company car, in 1971! Very privileged. He kept it absolutely as new and when it went in for a service he would covertly mark nuts bolts etc to check work had been done 😱

My brother worked with a bloke at an engine reconditioning company who applied wax to filler caps drain plugs etc, before putting his XR3 into the Ford dealer for a service. This later proved that they hadn't even changed the oil. Plenty of appeasement came his way I  the wake of that!!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Pielight said:

My brother worked with a bloke at an engine reconditioning company who applied wax to filler caps drain plugs etc, before putting his XR3 into the Ford dealer for a service. This later proved that they hadn't even changed the oil. Plenty of appeasement came his way I  the wake of that!!

A very common ploy. It only proves that the Seal was not broken, so the job could not have been done.

A broken Seal however, does not prove that the job was done!

42 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

A very common ploy. It only proves that the Seal was not broken, so the job could not have been done.

A broken Seal however, does not prove that the job was done!

For sure...but it definitely served the purpose on that occasion as the seal wasn't broken...there's no arguing with that!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I agree Paul.

I find it such a sad state of affairs John, when despite the high Labour charges, there are some who are not content with that and comprehensivey rip people off....its effectively stealing, but in some ways worse as people have actually placed high level of trust in them and completely rely on their honesty.

29 minutes ago, Pielight said:

I find it such a sad state of affairs John, when despite the high Labour charges, there are some who are not content with that and comprehensivey rip people off....its effectively stealing, but in some ways worse as people have actually placed high level of trust in them and completely rely on their honesty.

Tell me about it !

The World is full of such people, but they can be outwitted.

Ensure that any request, demand, requirement etc is documented and request that its acceptance is also documented. And do not be afraid of asking for advice.

And if/when, push comes to shove, rely upon the previously agreed documentation and go for the jugular!

One`s red lines are sacrosanct and not to be compromised.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Tell me about it !

The World is full of such people, but they can be outwitted.

Ensure that any request, demand, requirement etc is documented and request that its acceptance is also documented. And do not be afraid of asking for advice.

And if/when, push comes to shove, rely upon the previously agreed documentation and go for the jugular!

One`s red lines are sacrosanct and not to be compromised.

Unfortunately you still can't replace trust - as per earlier examples: engine and diff oil (esp with low mileages), oil filter (have to take it apart to check paper filter - and even then, how would you know for sure?), etc, etc.

• Like 3

For my 2nd service recently, I had overpressured my tyres slightly to 2.5 bar cold prior to the service. After I got the car back again, I checked the pressure reading the following day, and it read 2.3 bar cold (correct for the RX). So at least they did adjust the tyre pressures if nothing else 😄

8 minutes ago, mikey2001 said:

For my 2nd service recently, I had overpressured my tyres slightly to 2.5 bar cold prior to the service. After I got the car back again, I checked the pressure reading the following day, and it read 2.3 bar cold (correct for the RX). So at least they did adjust the tyre pressures if nothing else 😄

They probably walked round and kicked all four tyres too. Just to make sure the car was fully sound 😀

• Haha 1

Unfortunately, these things aren't uncommon.

When I had my 100k service done at a main dealer, I specifically enquired as to whether the air filter would be replaced and was told yes.  Check it when I got home and it hadn't been done.  Called them up and they said to bring it back and they would fit it FOC even thought it was supposed to be chargeable (which I was ok with if they had told me at the time).

Friend of mine took his IS300h to a different main dealer for a service that included a brake fluid change.  He was suspicious, so he marked all the bleed nipples on the calipers beforehand, and sure enough, they were untouched when he got the car back.  It looks like they may have just sucked some of the fluid out of the reservoir instead.  They also charged him for a full tube of grease that they used to lubricate the hinges, so he wanted to know where the rest was so he could keep it. 

53 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Unfortunately, these things aren't uncommon.

When I had my 100k service done at a main dealer, I specifically enquired as to whether the air filter would be replaced and was told yes.  Check it when I got home and it hadn't been done.  Called them up and they said to bring it back and they would fit it FOC even thought it was supposed to be chargeable (which I was ok with if they had told me at the time).

Friend of mine took his IS300h to a different main dealer for a service that included a brake fluid change.  He was suspicious, so he marked all the bleed nipples on the calipers beforehand, and sure enough, they were untouched when he got the car back.  It looks like they may have just sucked some of the fluid out of the reservoir instead.  They also charged him for a full tube of grease that they used to lubricate the hinges, so he wanted to know where the rest was so he could keep it. 

This is the problem, I think most of us are happy to pay for a service if it is done to the manufacturers specifications & not skimped, after all they charge enough for it!!!!

I think the problem is that not many people check things after a service & are just happy if they are treated well when they take it in & it comes back washed & hoovered, which incidentally I told them not to do. 

My experiences with Lexus servicing of LS400, IS200, LS430, GS300h, IS300h and NX300h since 1996 have been fine. Lexus Sheffield exceptional, Milton Keynes very good and the old Bracknell mob ok.

if you’re not happy speak to the centre principal and Lexus. If everyone complains politely when anything goes wrong we all benefit with better service.

• Like 7