Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

E10 fuel consumption - strangely better...

wharfhouse

Ok - so I am going to put this out there. I have a 2014 reg IS 300h with ~108,000 miles on it. Since the introduction of E10 fuel I had been expecting to see a worsening fuel consumption given the fact that the energy density of ethanol is less than petrol - the general consensus predicted probably a couple of mpg down on the old E5. However, since the change to E10 I have found my fuel consumption has actually improved... I have held off posting this until I really was sure, but after more than two thousand miles on E10 comparing like for like journeys, speed and driving conditions, in addition to filling up in the same place as previously (Sainsburys), I am certain that the fuel consumption is conservatively 5% better - could actually be more. Now I know that doesn't make sense according to the science, but it is what I am seeing. My only thoughts are that the refinery has done something with the blend of the E10 fuel that is different to the old E5.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar or different?

• Like 1

Same here….I think, I only keep an eye on the computer for mpg, resets with each fill up but I have noticed a slight improvement since E10 was introduced, I set the other mpg readout when I bought the car some 30000 miles ago so it rarely moves now, up a bit in summer down a bit in winter but that has just gone up too so definitely a bit better with E10. I use Costco fuel 90% of the time.

48 minutes ago, Derant said:

Same here….I think, I only keep an eye on the computer for mpg, resets with each fill up but I have noticed a slight improvement since E10 was introduced, I set the other mpg readout when I bought the car some 30000 miles ago so it rarely moves now, up a bit in summer down a bit in winter but that has just gone up too so definitely a bit better with E10. I use Costco fuel 90% of the time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing an improvement as i thought I must be missing something...! I am looking at the data from the car computer both for individual journeys (especially those I do frequently) and for overall mpg on each refiil of the car. 

Just now, wharfhouse said:

Interesting that there does seem to be a few of us in that case.

There’s another thread somewhere with similar findings from other members. It does seem to be variable though as others are seeing a drop in mpg. Very strange.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

There’s another thread somewhere with similar findings from other members. It does seem to be variable though as others are seeing a drop in mpg. Very strange.

I wonder if it suits the hybrids better for some reason given they run with the Atkinson cycle? I have noticed the biggest increase when the car is in the 40mph - 60mph type of roads but even on Monday this week when I did 150+ miles in rather a rush on dual carriageway and motorway (i.e. using strong acceleration to take advantage of when gaps emerged in traffic to make quicker progress than I would normally do) then compared to when I have done the same journey in the same manner of driving I was still close to 10% better mpg than I would have achieved previously.

• Like 2

Tried £30 worth of E10 today. Motorway driving.

Felt ok. Managed to surge nicely in Hybrid Power mode.

Obvs went back to super go go juice when that was used up.

I would not be able to feel the difference on a blind tasting.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links