Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hesitant acceleration

Hi Folks,

On a couple of occasions last year I experienced hesitancy when proceeding slowly on light throttle and using only electrical powered momentum but then pressing the gas pedal more nothing happened.  This happened twice today and I was obliged to press the pedal quite firmly whereupon the car accelerated more than I really wanted.  For those of you that are familiar with carb fuelled cars, it was like a flat spot.  The coolant was up to temperature.  This has happened either side of a major Lexus service including new s/plugs.  I have avoided using the E10 petrol and the trip computer showed about 90 miles left, about a quarter of a tank full. 

Has anybody else experienced this and if so were they able to resolve it?

Haven’t experienced this behaviour so far. Do you drive in “Eco” mode? If so, what happens in normal and “S” modes?

I presume the ECU would readily flash error lights, if there was something really wrong with the powertrain.

It has been 2nd refill with E10 for my car - no issues so far.

• Like 1

Yes, always drive in Eco mode.  I have had sports cars and motorcycles over the years but my RX450h does all I need in this mode nowadays.  It's so strange that it has only hesitated a vey few times.  On the last occasion I was keeping slow place in queue with traffic as  approached traffic lights.  When the lights turned green, everybody accelerated and not wishing to leave too big a gap I did what I normally would do pressed the gas pedal a little more but nothing happened.  The distance increased between me and the car in front so I had to press the pedal quite a it more to get a response and then the car took off.  So I then had to brake as I caught up very quickly  with the car in front.  Not the way I like to drive.  This only seems to have happened when a bit of moderate acceleration from electric mode to requiring the engine to cut in.  There has never been a time I can recall when underway with engine that it does not provide instantaneous acceleration.  So I think it must be lag in transitioning to engine power when on electric power. 

I will mention it to Lexus Cheltenham and get their opinion.  I will also take the opportunity to ask whether the car had any due recalls as they know the history of it having serviced it from new.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links