Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today I'll mainly be moaning about ...

Steve

Heres a continuous daily thread for members who like to have a moan about stupid things in life... Keep it going!!

Today I'll mainly be moaning about Bike Lanes

See that councils have got a government grant to start narrowing roads for bigger bike lanes. Here in Bournemouth the BCP council have been tearing up the main roads and installing massive bikes lanes. Now it's great that for the safety of cyclists, but when the cyclist refuse to use them and still ride on the road.

Picture before it was completed, nightmare for trucks.

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 09.16.39.png

Have something to moan about, moann about it here. Keep it going!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You need to see the one in Southampton Road, Salisbury which is the biggest traffic bottleneck in the area. They have spent £500K on refurbishing the bike lane complete with hideous green areas to indicate entrances to premises etc. This road is a dual carriageway but cyclists are allowed to use the lane contra to the flow of traffic which I think is hazardous as you are looking in the opposite direction for other road users.

I use this road regularly and have yet to see more than one or two cyclists using it. IMO this is because:

- it is a trunk road used by people doing longer journeys not suited to cycling which is really a local activity.

- the road is lined with warehouse type retail premises and supermarkets which people don't visit on bikes as they need carrying capacity for their shopping.

Completely insane.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Dog owners who don’t clear up after their pets. Maddening and irresponsible!

There are stinging fines for not clearing up but how do you enforce it? I live opposite a publicly accessible forest visited by many families with children yet some owners of dogs still choose to ignore the signs even when there are designated bins! Just as bad is, despite being miles from a fast food outlet, bags of detritus strewn in the narrow rural lanes. 

• Like 3

Smokers who think it's ok to smoke right next to the building front door (I don't want to fill my lungs with whatever crap you're putting in yours, your choice but don't force it on others), then promptly dispose of their butts (which btw are non bio degradable) on the floor. Even worse drivers who discard of them out the window 🤬

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 08ISF said:

People who believe in the rubbish fairy, who will come along  and remove whatever c**p they've left  on the pavement or in a service road.

Maybe we need a tooth fairy, the kind that can knock em out so they have suck food in future 🤯

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, peniole said:

Smokers who think it's ok to smoke right next to the building front door (I don't want to fill my lungs with whatever crap you're putting in yours, your choice but don't force it on others), then promptly dispose of their butts (which btw are non bio degradable) on the floor. Even worse drivers who discard of them out the window 🤬

I personally don't smoke but have observed that people who complain about smoke are the first to light a drifting BBQ in their garden 🤣

Just now, Phil xxkr said:

I personally don't smoke but have observed that people who complain about smoke are the first to light a drifting BBQ in their garden 🤣

Don't have a garden at the moment. Also, what's a drifting BBQ?

- Young people, by which I mean anybody under forty. “Youth is wasted on the young” (I was the exception, obviously)

- The metric system, what’s that all about? The previous methods had served us well for a few hundred years. I like furlongs, Fahrenheit and chains. As the Headmaster at my Prep said in c1975, “…I’m not teaching any of you this French rubbish. It’ll never catch on…”

- Avacados. Tasteless garbage.

- Food served on anything other than a plate in a restaurant. If I wanted to eat of a piece of slate, I’d get up onto the roof.

- American terms used in England. We’re in England, it’s our language! Things like Trunk, Aluminum and garbage…

- Re-writing history. It may not be nice, and it may offend our modern sensibilities, but the clue is in the name. It’s HISTORY. We need to teach it and learn from it rather than airbrushing it so as not to cause offence. Otherwise we risk making the same mistakes all over again.

That’ll do for now. More to come…😆

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Clearly a powerful rear wheel drive one made in Japan…

and here my mind went to BBQs using driftwood 🤣

it's the garden thing too that threw me off, how do you smoke/drift in a garden

thanks for the translation

2 hours ago, peniole said:

Don't have a garden at the moment. Also, what's a drifting BBQ?

Terminological inexactitude 😉 I naturally thought that people would not need help in drawing a connection between the word smoke and the term BBQ, I was wrong, apologies. I am equally hesitant to use Janet and John methodologies in future communications. 😎

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

- Young people, by which I mean anybody under forty. “Youth is wasted on the young” (I was the exception, obviously)

- The metric system, what’s that all about? The previous methods had served us well for a few hundred years. I like furlongs, Fahrenheit and chains. As the Headmaster at my Prep said in c1975, “…I’m not teaching any of you this French rubbish. It’ll never catch on…”

- Avacados. Tasteless garbage.

- Food served on anything other than a plate in a restaurant. If I wanted to eat of a piece of slate, I’d get up onto the roof.

- American terms used in England. We’re in England, it’s our language! Things like Trunk, Aluminum and garbage…

- Re-writing history. It may not be nice, and it may offend our modern sensibilities, but the clue is in the name. It’s HISTORY. We need to teach it and learn from it rather than airbrushing it so as not to cause offence. Otherwise we risk making the same mistakes all over again.

That’ll do for now. More to come…😆

Just remind us Ed, how long exactly was War and Peace? 🤣

• Haha 1

Middle lane hoggers

People who drive with their fog lights on (front and back)

People who turn their fog lights on because there is a bit of mist but you can still see miles up ahead

People who don't turn their lights on when they need to

hmmm... bit of a theme developing here...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DanD said:

I forgot people who go and do their weekly shop in service stations while their car is blocking access to the pump they have just used.

recently had this where a guy fuelled up then strolled in and got a coffee and decided to sit down at the window, looking out the window at me waiting. I just had to sound the horn for ages, which got the cashier angry and she made him move. Some people make my blood boil 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, DanD said:

Middle lane hoggers

People who turn their fog lights on because there is a bit of mist but you can still see miles up ahead

For me especially those who drive in the dawn/dusk/heavy rain with just daytime running lights on, so no rear tail lights are illuminated! 😞

• Like 3

Double Parkers.

People who are so important that they are entitled to park alongside cars already neatly lined up along a road so that they can stride into the shop/office/flat directly opposite without the inconvenience of finding a sensible parking space that’s not quite so convenient and would involve the effort of a short walk and to whom the possibility that their action may result in blocking in another driver who may be under the impression that their reason for wanting to leave may be important to them but is in fact insignificant when compared to the importance of the Double Parker and their inalienable right not to be inconvenienced by the thoughtless behaviour of individuals who earlier had chosen to occupy the kerb space directly in front of their destination.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LenT said:

Double Parkers.

People who are so important that they are entitled to park alongside cars already neatly lined up along a road so that they can stride into the shop/office/flat directly opposite without the inconvenience of finding a sensible parking space that’s not quite so convenient and would involve the effort of a short walk and to whom the possibility that their action may result in blocking in another driver who may be under the impression that their reason for wanting to leave may be important to them but is in fact insignificant when compared to the importance of the Double Parker and their inalienable right not to be inconvenienced by the thoughtless behaviour of individuals who earlier had chosen to occupy the kerb space directly in front of their destination.

Or, inconsiderate bxxxxxds for short 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, DanD said:

Middle lane hoggers

Are they all to do with cars Jeremy? 😎