Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today I'll mainly be moaning about ...

Steve

Idiots who forget to put their lights on at night. In mitigation, I present the following for consideration:

- Auto lights. It could be that their car has been in for a service and they have been turned off.
- The trend for LCD instruments mean that people obviously think that because they can see how fast they are going in the dark, their lights must be on.

Alternatively, they may be idiots. I had to flash someone at least 10 times the other night before they realised that they were driving along almost invisibly in the pitch black. Betsy does have a very bright main beam. Ok, they realised after five flashes but I was on a roll.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

People who speed in 30mph limits. Round here, I'm regularly having to dive out of the way as someone hurtles towards me at more than 40. This is on a road which has cars parked on both sides of the road making it a very long chicane (the parked cars are mostly hospital employees. There has been a long standing fight with the local council to get Residents Parking implemented. A lot has been done, but there are still some areas where the residents don't give a toss, therefore allowing the NHS workers to park there. I'm all for the NHS, but let your workers park for free, for heaven's sake).

Speeding is a problem in the area. There have been two separate accidents where cars have overturned, another where a car parked on a driveway was hit, another where a car drove off the road into a retaining wall (the driver was a friend of my father's, and he may have been a smidge or five over the drink drive limit when he did this - the friend, not my father) and then there was this: https://www.peterboroughmatters.co.uk/crime-news/after-two-near-misses-family-takes-fight-against-speeding-to-full-council-1450398

I don't want speed bumps - that penalises everyone who drives at or below the limit. I don't want those ridiculous calming measures - we have those already courtesy of the NHS workers. Put some bloody cameras in - preferably average speed cameras - and this will solve the problem. At the very least do what the residents have been screaming out for - get a mobile camera van in for a while. They even put one of those signs in which show how fast you're going. This just seems to goad people into seeing what reading they can get. 

In my youth, I would always drive at 40 through here. That was when there were fewer parked cars around and i knew no better. There was also little chance of getting caught. Now that I'm almost a year away from having my slate wiped clean after a minor indiscretion back in 2019, I'm very much more aware of speed limits. My current wife often complains. Sorry, I should have continued that sentence. My current wife often complains about the beeps in my car from the speed warning. I have it set to go off at 1mph over the limit as I don't want to get caught again. It's not worth the hassle and I'd rather be able to stop more quickly when one of those idiots on an illegal e-scooter, clad in black, appears from nowhere.

• Like 1

Children! We live near a secondary school and it's impossible to get in or out of the area when they're coming in and out. If it isn't because of the traffic chaos caused by their doting mummies and daddies having to drive them the 500m to school, it's because they are all walking down the middle of the road, totally oblivious to anyone or anything around them. In my day, anyone not obeying the Green Cross Code would have been hauled up before the whole school in Assembly and ridiculed.

• Like 4

Boy Racers. I am going to start an e-petition to extend the powers of the Citizens Arrest to include setting fire to any Golf/Saxo/Leon/etc which either pops and bangs on the overrun or has an excessively loud exhaust. Preferably with the owner still inside it.

I think I need a nice cup of tea and a sit down after all this spleen venting....

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Aaaaargh yes - Iphone users, or apple fanbois in general. There's nothing which your overpriced piece of tat can do which an Android device or Windows PC cannot do. For much less money. So shut it. Ok?

I'm going to step away from the keyboard now, lest I monopolise this thread....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

... TV advertisements that have Ts&Cs that are too small to read, and that try to tell me what to think, what to do and what not to do - social engineering?

☹️

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PCM said:

... TV advertisements that have Ts&Cs that are too small to read, and that try to tell me what to think, what to do and what not to do - social engineering?

☹️

Talking of TV adverts, one of my greatest achievements was getting Virgin to change the spelling of "moblie" to "mobile" on one of their adverts last Christmas. You'd think someone at Virgin would have noticed, wouldn't you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

Children! We live near a secondary school and it's impossible to get in or out of the area when they're coming in and out. If it isn't because of the traffic chaos caused by their doting mummies and daddies having to drive them the 500m to school, it's because they are all walking down the middle of the road, totally oblivious to anyone or anything around them. In my day, anyone not obeying the Green Cross Code would have been hauled up before the whole school in Assembly and ridiculed.

If you arrive late for pick up at the school apparently the yellow zig zag lines outside the gates are for “emergency parking” and not as I mistakenly believed a prohibited zone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

If you arrive late for pick up at the school apparently the yellow zig zag lines outside the gates are for “emergency parking” and not as I mistakenly believed a prohibited zone.

I was clearly under the same misconception as you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

People who speed in 30mph limits. Round here, I'm regularly having to dive out of the way as someone hurtles towards me at more than 40. This is on a road which has cars parked on both sides of the road making it a very long chicane (the parked cars are mostly hospital employees. There has been a long standing fight with the local council to get Residents Parking implemented. A lot has been done, but there are still some areas where the residents don't give a toss, therefore allowing the NHS workers to park there. I'm all for the NHS, but let your workers park for free, for heaven's sake).

Speeding is a problem in the area. There have been two separate accidents where cars have overturned, another where a car parked on a driveway was hit, another where a car drove off the road into a retaining wall (the driver was a friend of my father's, and he may have been a smidge or five over the drink drive limit when he did this - the friend, not my father) and then there was this: https://www.peterboroughmatters.co.uk/crime-news/after-two-near-misses-family-takes-fight-against-speeding-to-full-council-1450398

I don't want speed bumps - that penalises everyone who drives at or below the limit. I don't want those ridiculous calming measures - we have those already courtesy of the NHS workers. Put some bloody cameras in - preferably average speed cameras - and this will solve the problem. At the very least do what the residents have been screaming out for - get a mobile camera van in for a while. They even put one of those signs in which show how fast you're going. This just seems to goad people into seeing what reading they can get. 

In my youth, I would always drive at 40 through here. That was when there were fewer parked cars around and i knew no better. There was also little chance of getting caught. Now that I'm almost a year away from having my slate wiped clean after a minor indiscretion back in 2019, I'm very much more aware of speed limits. My current wife often complains. Sorry, I should have continued that sentence. My current wife often complains about the beeps in my car from the speed warning. I have it set to go off at 1mph over the limit as I don't want to get caught again. It's not worth the hassle and I'd rather be able to stop more quickly when one of those idiots on an illegal e-scooter, clad in black, appears from nowhere.

You are definitely on top form today James. Not missed your medication by any chance? 😊. We have tried, unsuccessfully as yet, to get the County Council to approve those signs which tell of your speed before you enter our village. Reason, until there have been accidents no further action can be taken🤯

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

You are definitely on top form today James. Not missed your medication by any chance? 😊. We have tried, unsuccessfully as yet, to get the County Council to approve those signs which tell of your speed before you enter our village. Reason, until there have been accidents no further action can be taken🤯

We have had them in the Riddings, Leabrooks and Somercotes areas for years. Which area are you in Philip?

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

In my day, anyone not obeying the Green Cross Code would have been hauled up before the whole school in Assembly and ridiculed.

@MinceyIve enjoyed reading your tirade(s) this morning, but on this one you give away the fact that you’re a youngster. In my day, you’d have been flogged to within an inch of your life in front of the school for spelling Green Cross as ‘Green X.’ Different times, but we were happy - at least when we weren’t being flogged…😆

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

Aaaaargh yes - iPhone users, or Apple fanbois in general. There's nothing which your overpriced piece of tat can do which an Android device or Windows PC cannot do. For much less money. So shut it. Ok?

^^ I’ve tried Android devices, and couldn’t get on with them. When I got my first Iphone I was told - by an actual expert - that the reason for Apple’s success is that their tech is simpler to use. It won’t do as much as most Android devices, but his anecdotal opinion was that anybody over fifty got on better with apple. He describes it as ‘Fisher-Price’ technology. I certainly find it far easier to use for the limited things I do with it. Luckily, my organisation moved to an ‘all Apple’ position a few years ago, so I don’t have to switch between the two types.

Anyway, having been out this morning, I’ve got another one. People who believe that technology is the solution to everything. I’ve read a few articles recently about the energy impacts of running global servers, storing e-mails and photographs which frankly aren’t needed. What was wrong with a camera and an album - where you only kept the photographs that you really wanted? On a similar theme, people who seem to watch everything while filming it on their smartphone. Do they really ever watch this stuff back? Just enjoy the experience with your own eyes for God’s sake!

Eiplogue - I picked up my new spectacles recently. The optician doesn’t use a computer, or an electronic till. Instead, he keeps a card record for every patient in a filing cabinet, and writes out receipts by hand using carbon paper (white copy for the Customer, yellow for his records). It’s so nice to find somebody who recognises that he doesn’t need to ‘progress.’ He even accepts cheques. Jolly marvellous!!!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

@MinceyIve enjoyed reading your tirade(s) this morning, but on this one you give away the fact that you’re a youngster. In my day, you’d have been flogged to within an inch of your life in front of the school for spelling Green Cross as ‘Green X.’ Different times, but we were happy - at least when we weren’t being flogged…😆

^^ I’ve tried Android devices, and couldn’t get on with them. When I got my first iPhone I was told - by an actual expert - that the reason for Apple’s success is that their tech is simpler to use. It won’t do as much as most Android devices, but his anecdotal opinion was that anybody over fifty got on better with Apple. He describes it as ‘Fisher-Price’ technology. I certainly find it far easier to use for the limited things I do with it. Luckily, my organisation moved to an ‘all Apple’ position a few years ago, so I don’t have to switch between the two types.

Anyway, having been out this morning, I’ve got another one. People who believe that technology is the solution to everything. I’ve read a few articles recently about the energy impacts of running global servers, storing e-mails and photographs which frankly aren’t needed. What was wrong with a camera and an album - where you only kept the photographs that you really wanted? On a similar theme, people who seem to watch everything while filming it on their smartphone. Do they really ever watch this stuff back? Just enjoy the experience with your own eyes for God’s sake!

Eiplogue - I picked up my new spectacles recently. The optician doesn’t use a computer, or an electronic till. Instead, he keeps a card record for every patient in a filing cabinet, and writes out receipts by hand using carbon paper (white copy for the Customer, yellow for his records). It’s so nice to find somebody who recognises that he doesn’t need to ‘progress.’ He even accepts cheques. Jolly marvellous!!!

When I was 7 I was told by an optician I needed specs. My dear Mother was aghast and asked when can he leave them off! His answer - come back again in 50 years 😊. Well after l had my cataracts fixed I went back to say "it's taken a little longer, 65 years, but you were right" 😊 regrettably the original chap had long since moved onto the great eye-chart in the sky, and the receptionist was a little mystified 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

Idiots who forget to put their lights on at night. In mitigation, I present the following for consideration:

- Auto lights. It could be that their car has been in for a service and they have been turned off.
- The trend for LCD instruments mean that people obviously think that because they can see how fast they are going in the dark, their lights must be on.

Alternatively, they may be idiots. I had to flash someone at least 10 times the other night before they realised that they were driving along almost invisibly in the pitch black. Betsy does have a very bright main beam. Ok, they realised after five flashes but I was on a roll.

Fair. I'm self-reporting myself for a couple of recent offences. The reason is simple: when parked up and waiting in the car at night, I sometime switch from auto to running lights, so I'm neither blinding people, nor draining traction too much. Then, if in an urban area, I've forgotten to switch back on a few times, and took me some miles to realise. Error between the wheel and the seat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

It's not about speed limits, it's about choosing the appropriate speed regardless of speed limit. Even if it was 40 on your road, they shouldn't be driving at 40 if it's not safe, or even just not comfortable.

We are in a 20 zone, and I typically do slightly above it - lots of pedestrians crossing, kids, dogs steeping out from the cover of parked cars. The area is ultimately one big dead end. I'm not an authority, but 25 at most what you should be doing. Sometimes it's 15, on a busy summer day. Still, as you can imagine, there are plenty of people who push you all the way to your garage, where I'm doing a full stop after a bend. Wonder when I'll get rear-ended just when parking up.

And then there are the people who do the speed limit on country roads come what may - rainy pitch black nights on narrow country roads with blind bends, no matter, 60 is 60, even if 40-50 would be reasonable. Then some of the same people join a dual carriage way and carry doing 68 at most. I think that's a clinical diagnoses of mental illness.

The reverse of it of course when you're going say 80 on an A road,  overtaking cars, then there is a 40 limit going through a village, and suddenly all those cars pile up in your back because they selected a speed setting on cruise control when they left the house and they are not going to switch it off until they arrive.

• Like 1

On a different subject, may I offer politicians as a hardy perennial to moan about.

I’m sure there are a few that go into the system genuinely wanting to make a difference, but most of them are only after personal glorification and/or power. It doesn’t matter on which side of the political fence they sit - Labour, Conservative, Nationalist, Liberal - none of them really want the best for the whole nation. They want the best for the people most likely to vote for them, or at least they claim to based on some vague ideology or policy direction.

Very few of them want to think long-term because that doesn’t benefit them and their chances of getting re-elected. Most people don’t care about the political system or the Government. They simply want a job that pays a decent wage, good quality housing, enough to eat and a decent education and future for their children. The problem is we’re too often told by politicians that we can all have it all. We can’t. There will always be winners and losers.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

On a different subject, may I offer politicians as a hardy perennial to moan about.

I’m sure there are a few that go into the system genuinely wanting to make a difference, but most of them are only after personal glorification and/or power. It doesn’t matter on which side of the political fence they sit - Labour, Conservative, Nationalist, Liberal - none of them really want the best for the whole nation. They want the best for the people most likely to vote for them, or at least they claim to based on some vague ideology or policy direction.

Very few of them want to think long-term because that doesn’t benefit them and their chances of getting re-elected. Most people don’t care about the political system or the Government. They simply want a job that pays a decent wage, good quality housing, enough to eat and a decent education and future for their children. The problem is we’re too often told by politicians that we can all have it all. We can’t. There will always be winners and losers.  

Can I offer up and moan about the lack of truly wonderful humerous scripts? Not a single expletive or lavatory based words masquerading as being "funny" in the whole series. 40+ years on and still as rib-tickling mainly because it was true then and still is today because essentially nothing has changed 😎

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mincey said:

Seen in a village in rural Denmark, middle of town entering a schoolzone. 30km limit and a trafficlight. Mind you no crossing at all just a trafficlight that is always green. Except it is connected to a radar. Over the limit the light turns red and keeps you sitting there for two minutes. Next to the light? a Camera! so drive through means a fine. How wonderful is that! Social pressure at work, everybody will stare at you for 2 minutes thinking Another w##### that is in a hurry. For me this system is about safety and not about bringing in money for the council. Wonder why this is not replicated everywhere. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Seen in a village in rural Denmark, middle of town entering a schoolzone. 30km limit and a trafficlight. Mind you no crossing at all just a trafficlight that is always green. Except it is connected to a radar. Over the limit the light turns red and keeps you sitting there for two minutes. Next to the light? a Camera! so drive through means a fine. How wonderful is that! Social pressure at work, everybody will stare at you for 2 minutes thinking Another w##### that is in a hurry. For me this system is about safety and not about bringing in money for the council. Wonder why this is not replicated everywhere. 

What a fantastic idea Bernard 👍does anyone know of anything similar in the UK? 

4 hours ago, Mincey said:

Aaaaargh yes - iPhone users, or Apple fanbois in general. There's nothing which your overpriced piece of tat can do which an Android device or Windows PC cannot do. For much less money. So shut it. Ok?

I'm going to step away from the keyboard now, lest I monopolise this thread....

Yes the Iphone.

Traded my Iphone 6s in recently although it had been getting updates for years & as its Battery had seen better days in 2019 I opted for a new Battery from apple but something went wrong as they were doing it so they simply gave me a new one.

The trade in was somewhere around £70/80 ? and the XR price had been reduced I opted for one of those as it will be good for another 4/5 years no problem.

Name me an Android device that has any updates beyond 2 years & should anything go wrong with it ............ ? (exactly)

You know you could say that the Iphone is the Lexus of the Mobile world ?

1 hour ago, VFR said:

Yes the iPhone.

Traded my iPhone 6s in recently although it had been getting updates for years & as its battery had seen better days in 2019 I opted for a new battery from Apple but something went wrong as they were doing it so they simply gave me a new one.

The trade in was somewhere around £70/80 ? and the XR price had been reduced I opted for one of those as it will be good for another 4/5 years no problem.

Name me an Android device that has any updates beyond 2 years & should anything go wrong with it ............ ? (exactly)

You know you could say that the iPhone is the Lexus of the Mobile world ?

You can say whatever you like VFR but that doesn't make it true does it 😊. I personally use Motorola and yes they do update after 2 years and since it cost one fifth of apple I can cope with the possibility of things going awry 😎

People in a supermarket who lean on their trolleys to push them. Trolleys have a handle. Put both hands on it and use them to propel and steer the trolley. This will ensure that you do not incur the wrath of fellow shoppers. 

I could start on people who get a bunch of vouchers (both in and out of date) from their purse, handbag or wallet at the checkout, but I think I've vented enough. No, no, no, I cannot let them slip through. They should be taken out and shot in front of their families, like those who let all the shopping go through the till, THEN they pack it instead of packing as it comes down the conveyor. Shooting is too good for that lot.

Bonus points for anyone who can tell I've just returned from Sainsbury's.

• Haha 3