Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today I'll mainly be moaning about ...

Steve

1 hour ago, LenT said:

But they’re mainly reflecting the general decline in behaviour that has affected society in general.

^^ We do need to be careful not to see things through rose tinted spectacles. Whilst I share the sentiment, having grown up in the 1970s I can say that standards were already declining fast even then. Society is better now in many ways than it was in previous decades, but behavioural etiquette certainly isn’t one of them.

If I can add another (related) moan to the thread, it is the lower expectations that the current education system seems determined to propagate. I have a real issue with education being turned into training - in my opinion education should be for its own sake, at least until the age of 14-15. The national curriculum hasn’t helped, simply allowing politics to get in the way. I volunteer at a University, supporting young adults who - although clearly very bright - haven’t always been given the tools they need to succeed by the state system. It’s really sad that such support is needed, but it says a lot. Students from fee paying schools don’t suffer in the same way, and it’s not just because of resources. I find it’s mainly because they’re educated rather than trained - they know how to write, how to express themselves with confidence - they’ve been taught the basics.

People used to strive to better themselves through education. Now too many strive to better themselves despite education. I also mourn the loss of Received Pronunciation in public life - the BBC for instance. It’s my opinion, and I know not everybody will share it, but I believe a public broadcaster should present the best possible view of a nation. We seem obsessed with doing the exact opposite.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ We do need to be careful not to see things through rose tinted spectacles. Whilst I share the sentiment, having grown up in the 1970s I can say that standards were already declining fast even then. Society is better now in many ways than it was in previous decades, but behavioural etiquette certainly isn’t one of them.

If I can add another (related) moan to the thread, it is the lower expectations that the current education system seems determined to propagate. I have a real issue with education being turned into training - in my opinion education should be for its own sake, at least until the age of 14-15. The national curriculum hasn’t helped, simply allowing politics to get in the way. I volunteer at a University, supporting young adults who - although clearly very bright - haven’t always been given the tools they need to succeed by the state system. It’s really sad that such support is needed, but it says a lot. Students from fee paying schools don’t suffer in the same way, and it’s not just because of resources. I find it’s mainly because they’re educated rather than trained - they know how to write, how to express themselves with confidence - they’ve been taught the basics.

People used to strive to better themselves through education. Now too many strive to better themselves despite education. I also mourn the loss of Received Pronunciation in public life - the BBC for instance. It’s my opinion, and I know not everybody will share it, but I believe a public broadcaster should present the best possible view of a nation. We seem obsessed with doing the exact opposite.

Eh bah gum Ed, whatever tis this world comin too 🤣. I recall volunteering in 1972 for the Adult Literacy Scheme, teaching adults the rudimentary elements of the English Language. I taught them all I knew, Needless to say they soon overcame that disadvantage 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/19/2021 at 6:04 PM, dutchie01 said:

Food and cooking. My wife is always on some sort of diet, my daughter is doing Keto, my 4yr old grandson only eats pasta and broccoli and my son does not eat meat. Now anyone up for a menu?  I am the cook and if i have something to moan it is THEM!

I'd move out.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, DBIZO said:

I'd move out.

Don't get mad Bernard, get uber or Deliveroo or similar and they can order their own. You meantime can find a restaurant serving proper nutritional food and explain to your loving family that it means you will be fit enough to visit them in hospital when they suffer the consequences of junk food. 😎

• Like 1

I won’t be moaning about anything today. It’s a beautiful morning, my new RX is due for collection this week, and my football team hammered Man Utd 4-1 yesterday…😇

Everything in the garden is rosy. 

• Like 3

Bit late to the party for BOAC, BEA, BA. Worthy of a moan but in my experience bad on the ground and good in the air, probably the right way round.

Superb landing at the old Kai Tak in Hong Kong and then arriving at the airport for the return and finding my flight cancelled.

Getting the jump seat for the landing in Nigeria and then being deplaned to identify our luggage on the runway for our return flight.

An upgrade in Detroit with my Silver card and then being denied access to the lounge in JFK as they were busy.

Still not as bad a Flybe (Flymaybe) with more technical cancellations than I can remember and finding our plane on jacks waiting for a flight from Guernsey. Or the luggage lids flying open on most landings.

8 hours ago, Alan305 said:

Bit late to the party for BOAC, BEA, BA. Worthy of a moan but in my experience bad on the ground and good in the air, probably the right way round.

Superb landing at the old Kai Tak in Hong Kong and then arriving at the airport for the return and finding my flight cancelled.

Getting the jump seat for the landing in Nigeria and then being deplaned to identify our luggage on the runway for our return flight.

An upgrade in Detroit with my Silver card and then being denied access to the lounge in JFK as they were busy.

Still not as bad a Flybe (Flymaybe) with more technical cancellations than I can remember and finding our plane on jacks waiting for a flight from Guernsey. Or the luggage lids flying open on most landings.

Are you sure that your name is Alan and not Air? 😊

8 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I won’t be moaning about anything today. It’s a beautiful morning, my new RX is due for collection this week, and my football team hammered Man Utd 4-1 yesterday…😇

Everything in the garden is rosy. 

Point of order Mr Chairman, today is November 21st, almost the beginning of winter. It is therefore unlikely that a garden would consist entirely of roses, furthermore unlikely to be blooming at their best. This is my moan of the day, the fact that people take egregious licence with the sacrosanct horticultural calendar 🤠

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now I'm sure that many of you will be surprised, and perhaps somewhat concerned, to see that I have posted on this thread, given the well known fact that I rarely complain or moan about anything, but something got my dander up this morning. Let me explain.

Sandisk "Easy Open Packaging". An oxymoron if ever there was one. I treated Betsy to a 128GB microSD card to replace the paltry, and frankly very short on space 32GB card which NextBase assume is good enough for front and rear camera installations. I thought I would have time to fit it before starting work this morning. It was touch and go, I can tell you.

It was easy enough to open the card packet which the card came in, but was the plastic container, sealed with a film lid easy to open? In the cold? Without a Swiss Army knife and an SDS drill? No it was not! I got rather cross I have to say. It's lucky that my front door key has a reasonably sharp edge to it, otherwise I would continue to be struggling out there now. I'm still cross in fact. Anyone at work who rubs me up the wrong way today will feel the full force of my wrath, make no mistake!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Now I'm sure that many of you will be surprised, and perhaps somewhat concerned, to see that I have posted on this thread, given the well known fact that I rarely complain or moan about anything, but something got my dander up this morning. Let me explain.

Sandisk "Easy Open Packaging". An oxymoron if ever there was one. I treated Betsy to a 128GB microSD card to replace the paltry, and frankly very short on space 32GB card which NextBase assume is good enough for front and rear camera installations. I thought I would have time to fit it before starting work this morning. It was touch and go, I can tell you.

It was easy enough to open the card packet which the card came in, but was the plastic container, sealed with a film lid easy to open? In the cold? Without a Swiss Army knife and an SDS drill? No it was not! I got rather cross I have to say. It's lucky that my front door key has a reasonably sharp edge to it, otherwise I would continue to be struggling out there now. I'm still cross in fact. Anyone at work who rubs me up the wrong way today will feel the full force of my wrath, make no mistake!

One of my pet moans too James.

Now, have you affixed those "cctv in operation" stickers on your rear yet amigo?

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

Alcaeus, the Greek poet says the wrath in man is the last thing to grow old😎

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

One of my pet moans too James.

Now, have you affixed those "cctv in operation" stickers on your rear yet amigo?

Yes I have! I've noticed that the rear facing camera doesn't appear to be working properly for some reason though...

image.thumb.png.621f768ec0de7af8c5c444a221122dc8.png

(A candidate for the "Worst Photoshoppery of 2021" Award surely)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whilst we’re on this subject. The sheer quantity, strength and type of plastic packaging of everyday items is surely over the top nowadays. Consumers are often blamed for waste but I blame the companies who package up their items in bombproof packaging.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Whilst we’re on this subject. The sheer quantity, strength and type of plastic packaging of everyday items is surely over the top nowadays. Consumers are often blamed for waste but I blame the companies who package up their items in bombproof packaging.

Surely Paul the question is - with the packaging being so resistant to damage why not make other things from it ? Bit like black boxes on aeroplanes 😎

16 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Surely Paul the question is - with the packaging being so resistant to damage why not make other things from it ? Bit like black boxes on aeroplanes 😎

Wrap all cars in the packaging that Mincey mentioned and there would surely be no more accidents. You wouldn’t be able to get into the car mind!!

• Haha 2

On 11/20/2021 at 5:08 PM, Phil xxkr said:

Eh bah gum Ed, whatever tis this world comin too 🤣. I recall volunteering in 1972 for the Adult Literacy Scheme, teaching adults the rudimentary elements of the English Language. I taught them all I knew, Needless to say they soon overcame that disadvantage 🤣

Framed message on the wall of the old Gainsborough Technical College.

"6 munths ago I cuddnt evin spel inginere now I is wun

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mincey said:

Anyone familiar with the American TV series ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’, created by and starring Larry David, may recall one episode in which he highlights this packaging predicament.

Basically one of the characters is in a situation in which he has to cut himself free from his car seatbelt.  Fortunately he’s just bought a new craft knife. 

Unfortunately it’s still in its packaging.  He needs the craft knife in order to cut the craft knife out of its packaging.

He is, literally, left hanging!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, LenT said:

Anyone familiar with the American TV series ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’, created by and starring Larry David, may recall one episode in which he highlights this packaging predicament.

Basically one of the characters is in a situation in which he has to cut himself free from his car seatbelt.  Fortunately he’s just bought a new craft knife. 

Unfortunately it’s still in its packaging.  He needs the craft knife in order to cut the craft knife out of its packaging.

He is, literally, left hanging!

This reminds me of the old joke that they should make the whole aeroplane out of the same stuff they make the ‘black box’ from as that’s virtually indestructible…

• Haha 2

Moaning about almost all electric devices. Coffeegrinder with a 50 page handbook. A satnav with a 250 page handbook. Philishave with a 30 page handbook of which 15 are legal warnings. Why is everything so complicated?? 

• Like 2

Moaning about Screens In Cars. traditional buttons are disappearing fast as its all about screens screens screens. Bigger is better. Everything needs to be done through the screen! It is mostly user unfriendly and especially unsafe. Phone use is illegal but screens need the exact same attention, distraction and handling.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Cyclists.

Riding at night.

Without lights.

Or any reflective attire.

I really don't want to have to make an insurance claim because of their selfish behaviour. 

^^ I saw an exchange a few years ago in London, at the traffic lights by the Paddington Green interchange between Edgware Road and Marylebone Road, just by the Edgware Road underground station.

A van driver and a cyclist were having an argument. Cyclist told van driver he “…should be more careful.” Van driver responded by reminding the cyclist that he was driving a big heavy van. “I think it’s you lot who should be more careful.” Quite.

Some cyclists would do well to remember that the moral high ground counts for little in a mortuary…

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links