Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today I'll mainly be moaning about ...

Steve

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

‘Seedless’ satsumas that contain pips. And ones that claim to be ‘easy peel’ when they’re actually the opposite…😡

I remember complaining to my mother about finding a pip in a seedless satsuma when I was about 8 or 9. She told me that I must be lucky because it was only one in every thousand which had a pip. That said, she also convinced me that Marti Caine was a man once. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Now then, now then....

I stopped Freecycling when I wanted to get rid of two pretty good Dawes cycles which belonged to my parents. I had about ten requests for them and I wanted to be fair, so I gave them to the first responder, even though there were a couple saying that the bikes would make a great difference to their lives. What a mistake. They came to collect them, then as they got back into their car, said they were going on ebay. I will never, ever, ever put anything on Freecycle again. 

Sad.

I try... to 'do' due diligence but it's hard...

A pox on them!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Mincey said:

I remember complaining to my mother about finding a pip in a seedless satsuma when I was about 8 or 9. She told me that I must be lucky because it was only one in every thousand which had a pip. That said, she also convinced me that Marti Caine was a man once. 

Don't you mean Michael Caine 😎

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Now then, now then....

I stopped Freecycling when I wanted to get rid of two pretty good Dawes cycles which belonged to my parents. I had about ten requests for them and I wanted to be fair, so I gave them to the first responder, even though there were a couple saying that the bikes would make a great difference to their lives. What a mistake. They came to collect them, then as they got back into their car, said they were going on ebay. I will never, ever, ever put anything on Freecycle again. 

A friend of mine tried to donate a very nice, solid oak, dining room table to a charity supporting housing associations specifically for people who had very little due to some really unfortunate circumstances.

When they came to collect it they rejected it as it was ‘too old, and had some marks.’ Really disappointing - they apparently only take items that are ‘perfect.’

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

Today I’m complaining about not being able to get any work done due to me keep checking LOC 🤣

I can’t focus on anything apart from the fact I pick up my new RX tomorrow morning 🥳.

Current NX now cleared (including the navigation/telephone/personal data) and insurance changed for the morning. One more day, just one more day…

Actually, my moan of the day is that today is going really slowly!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

Today I’m complaining about not being able to get any work done due to me keep checking LOC 🤣

I was about to write couldn't agree more, but then that wouldn't be a complaint. So I should like to complain that in responding to your earlier post it doesn't allow me to complain.n.🤣

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I can’t focus on anything apart from the fact I pick up my new RX tomorrow morning 🥳.

Current NX now cleared (including the navigation/telephone/personal data) and insurance changed for the morning. One more day, just one more day…

Someone somewhere wrote a really good checklist when accepting a new vehicle, maybe worth a look 🤔

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PCM said:

FreeCycle: ( Giving away things no longer needed to others. )

People who say that would like the thing you are offering... you wait in... they don't turn up.

Just rude.

I have a had a few of those, and the ones that do eventually turn up for the free goods, and make you feel like it was your fault they could not turn up at a time better suited to the giver.

But most freecycle bods are fine its just the odd one now and again that make me think 'Would have been easier to have taken to local tip'

• Like 2

18 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Happy collection day!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Were you awake all night? 😉 I'm looking forward to seeing the photos.

I was going to moan about this a few days ago, but gave it the benefit of the doubt. I have changed my mind since.

Cravendale milk bottle seals. Not, the caps, they're ok and I have absolutely no problem with them at all. It's the seal underneath. They have changed the design recently from that ludicrous seal with a flap on it, which had to be pulled up to aid the removal process. The flap has now gone, so it's a case of working your way around the seal, looking for the part which has a tab on it. This tab is then grasped and the seal ripped off in one swift and continuous movement. Or so it should be. If the seal does not rip in two during this process, I mark the day down as having been a good one. Also, it is essential to make sure that no residue at all is left behind, otherwise the kitchen counter becomes a milk-based swimming pool when an attempt is made to pour the bovine liquid into a cup for a refreshing drink of tea for instance*. Come on Cravendale - you can do better than this!

* incidentally, my wife always insists that the milk goes in first. I disagree. It should go in last, as it is then possible to dictate the strength of the brewed beverage more easily. What do you think, my esteemed board chums? Milk in first or last? Or not at all?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mincey said:

* incidentally, my wife always insists that the milk goes in first. I disagree. It should go in last, as it is then possible to dictate the strength of the brewed beverage more easily. What do you think, my esteemed board chums? Milk in first or last? Or not at all?

Other milk cartons also do it now. I generally need a bath and the kitchen needs a deep-clean, after doing-battle with one of these...

Milk; mug: milk second, tea cup: milk first.   Though I generally let my butler decide.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, PCM said:

Though I generally let my butler decide.

How the other half live eh! The headmaster at my senior school told my father that I'd make a good butler. I often wonder whether I have missed my true vocation in life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

How the other half live eh! The headmaster at my senior school told my father that I'd make a good butler. I often wonder whether I have missed my true vocation in life. 

I believe that your father misheard, I think the word uttered may have been Butlins ie reccomending your ideal vocation as a red coat 🤣

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I believe that your father misheard, I think the word uttered may have been Butlins ie reccomending your ideal vocation as a red coat 🤣

That could be closer to the truth - Hi-De-HI Campers!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

As the previous owner of a Bentley, I would not be surprised if my friend meant Butler.👍

11 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

As the previous owner of a Bentley, I would not be surprised if my friend meant Butler.👍

Is your memory still intact John? Don't you mean Bus not Bentley? As in "On the buses" and 'I ate you Buler "😂

4 hours ago, Mincey said:

^^ Interesting question...well, it is for the historian in me! Most social conventions - and this is one - are passed down through families. Before WW2, when marriage outside of social class was unusual these were easy to spot and defined your 'place' in polite society. As the social barriers broke down after the war the situation became less clear, but the premise remains.

Milk first, tea second indicates somebody - somewhere in the family lineage and at some point - who was in a hot climate most likely in Empire. Think India, East Africa and the West indies. The thought was that, without refrigeration, adding the hot tea to the milk help to sterilise it. Such conventions are then passed down.

There are plenty of others. Sandwiches with butter on the bread or not? Adding butter - or more likely dripping - is a sign of working class convention, as they a) had less money for filling and b) needed the added fat. Wealthier people didn't need to add anything. Shoes on or off when entering a house (outside of for religious reasons)? Working class people had little to protect, so shoes on is a likely outcome. But with this one, the upper classes were the same, as they had servants to clean up for them. Shoes off? Probably driven by the new middle classes in the early Victorian era. They had enough money to buy nicer things, but often only had a single maid to help with the chores. Hence, 'shoes off' became common in order to protect the carpets they'd been able to purchase.

As I said, such conventions are less clear now due to increased social mobility - bluntly put, the reason for their adoption by particular family members has been lost to time...

My own upbringing is a great example. One parent came from an upper middle-class landowning family. The other was from working-class stock. The factor that clouds the 'history' is adoption of 'doing the right thing' by those eager to be seen to move 'up' the social scale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ Interesting question...well, it is for the historian in me! Most social conventions - and this is one - are passed down through families. Before WW2, when marriage outside of social class was unusual these were easy to spot and defined your 'place' in polite society. As the social barriers broke down after the war the situation became less clear, but the premise remains.

Milk first, tea second indicates somebody - somewhere in the family lineage and at some point - who was in a hot climate most likely in Empire. Think India, East Africa and the West indies. The thought was that, without refrigeration, adding the hot tea to the milk help to sterilise it. Such conventions are then passed down.

There are plenty of others. Sandwiches with butter on the bread or not? Adding butter - or more likely dripping - is a sign of working class convention, as they a) had less money for filling and b) needed the added fat. Wealthier people didn't need to add anything. Shoes on or off when entering a house (outside of for religious reasons)? Working class people had little to protect, so shoes on is a likely outcome. But with this one, the upper classes were the same, as they had servants to clean up for them. Shoes off? Probably driven by the new middle classes in the early Victorian era. They had enough money to buy nicer things, but often only had a single maid to help with the chores. Hence, 'shoes off' became common in order to protect the carpets they'd been able to purchase.

As I said, such conventions are less clear now due to increased social mobility - bluntly put, the reason for their adoption by particular family members has been lost to time...

My own upbringing is a great example. One parent came from an upper middle-class landowning family. The other was from working-class stock. The factor that clouds the 'history' is adoption of 'doing the right thing' by those eager to be seen to move 'up' the social scale...

Excellent!

On 11/25/2021 at 8:49 AM, dutchie01 said:

This will be a cultural thing?  Different from city to city from country to country. Rome, Italy comes to mind. 2 Lane junction that normally can have 2 cars next to each other waiting for the red light can also contain another six scooters and 4 motorcycles. All next to each other. Everybody then races off the moment the other traffic-light turns orange. Thing is the others don't stop at orange so it always ends up in a cacophony of horns and heavily gesticulating Italians. In Switzerland on the other hand a single policeman can direct an entire junction. Everybody stops and waits for his instructions. 

You have never been in Turkey?

7 lane bridge.

Morning 5 lanes one way.

Evening 5 lanes the other way.

First in with wheel in lane has the right to the lane.