Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check VSC after installing LED rear lights

I got the message "check VSC" after installing this lights together with red break system, yellow ABS and yellow slip indicator lights.

Speaking to another member of the forum, he said it's likely an error on brake circuit related to the current draw detection as result of the low resistance of the LED compared to the OEM lights which makes sense and he suggested that a possible solution will be adding a resistor.

Has anyone got any suggestions or advise?

Thanks

• Sad 1

They didn't come with resistors. I've messaged the seller but even if they send them it'll take a month and i don't fancy driving in the rain without any stability control or having to fit the old ones again.

Is it a straight forward job for a mechanic to do? As i am not confident with the electrics of the car

4 minutes ago, JavierHG said:

They didn't come with resistors. I've messaged the seller but even if they send them it'll take a month and i don't fancy driving in the rain without any stability control or having to fit the old ones again.

Is it a straight forward job for a mechanic to do? As i am not confident with the electrics of the car

The ones i showed you about 5.00 from you know where for the pair. In the UK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madasahatter said:

The ones i showed you about 5.00 from you know where for the pair. In the UK.

I think Keith means eBay or amazon, although why he couldn't just say that or even link to the resistors, I don't know :whistling:

You could also get them from http://cpc.co.uk or RS Components.

I'm not sure resistors will solve the problem though. It's true that because of the lower wattage the CANBUS system will think the bulbs have blown, but that's all - it shouldn't light up all those. To have so many on at once is often a sign that the 12V Battery is low or on its way out, so it may be worth just sticking jump leads on to see if they go out before spending money.

So do you have to fit these resistors to the indicators, rear lights and brake light circuits?

The resistors are 6 ohm so at 12 Volt will draw 2A/ 24 Watts which is about right for a 21 Watt bulb (indicators and stop light bulbs) but what about the tail lights at 5 Watts do they need a 30 ohm ( 27 Ohm preferred value) resistor?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

So do you have to fit these resistors to the indicators, rear lights and brake light circuits?

The resistors are 6 ohm so at 12 Volt will draw 2A/ 24 Watts which is about right for a 21 Watt bulb (indicators and stop light bulbs) but what about the tail lights at 5 Watts do they need a 30 ohm ( 27 Ohm preferred value) resistor?

They certainly have to be fitted to the indicators unless you change the flasher unit for one that can cope with LEDs but I'm not sure about the other lights, although it would be logical to assume the answer would be yes. In other situations that I've heard about, if the car is equipped with a 'bulb out' feature then this is often triggered but that's all; I certainly wouldn't expect all the lights that the OP mentions to come on.

• Like 1

All I know about LED bulb replacements is they seem to originate in China, they are a crap fit into the holder, they begin to flicker after a month, completely fail in 6 months and cause multi electrical problems.

At least with candles you can trim the wick and see when they need replacing 😀

I had to swap the flasher relay when I changed my indicator bulbs for LEDs.

20180704_145013.thumb.jpg.9309b92a520340ed0df0ca299cbd91f9.jpg

Are the OEM tail lights and brake lights not LEDs to begin with though? They are on my facelift car....

Btw  I also swapped my reversing lights for LED bulbs without any issues.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, steve2006 said:

All I know about LED bulb replacements is they seem to originate in China, they are a crap fit into the holder, they begin to flicker after a month, completely fail in 6 months and cause multi electrical problems.

At least with candles you can trim the wick and see when they need replacing 😀

This is where I buy my LEDs from and they've never let me down yet https://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/eng_m_LED-Bulbs-1272.html

They probably still originate from China but they're a better class and more reliable than the Fleabay ones.

2 hours ago, JavierHG said:

Supplier replied saying i need to add one 50W 6 ohm resistor on each brake light harness.

Just looked at the wiring diagram, could you confirm the original Lexus clusters are also LED?

Aa far as I'm aware, such headlights and taillights should come with a CANBUS driver so the system can measure the same resistance as the OEM lights and doesn't think there's anything wrong with the lights.

However, even if that's not the case, you may get flickering on LEDs or a check headlights message on your dash. Haven't heard of the check light coming up due to this on an IS2.

I'd suggest you hook the car up to Techstream and check the error codes before buying and replacing anything.

1 hour ago, AntC said:

Aa far as I'm aware, such headlights and taillights should come with a CANBUS driver so the system can measure the same resistance as the OEM lights and doesn't think there's anything wrong with the lights.

However, even if that's not the case, you may get flickering on LEDs or a check headlights message on your dash. Haven't heard of the check light coming up due to this on an IS2.

I'd suggest you hook the car up to Techstream and check the error codes before buying and replacing anything.

Lexus and Toyota lights are not monitored by the CANBUS like european cars. Lexus / Toyota use the BEAN network which is a branch of the CANBUS that is connected via the gateway controller. I've spent the past year reverse-engineering the CANBUS on the 2IS and 3IS because of a project I am working on and I would say I know it quite well now. There are exceptions to this like the brake light is monitored but it's monitored to see how much current is being drawn. Hence why the Brake fault shows up without any engine management light. I have had a few people message me on my Instagram about the HC Motion lights doing exactly that and HC motion themselves have acknowledged that a load resistor needs to be added to fool the ECU into thinking the correct current is being drawn. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ahmed24 said:

Lexus and Toyota lights are not monitored by the CANBUS like european cars. Lexus / Toyota use the BEAN network which is a branch of the CANBUS that is connected via the gateway controller. I've spent the past year reverse-engineering the CANBUS on the 2IS and 3IS because of a project I am working on and I would say I know it quite well now. There are exceptions to this like the brake light is monitored but it's monitored to see how much current is being drawn. Hence why the Brake fault shows up without any engine management light. I have had a few people message me on my Instagram about the HC Motion lights doing exactly that and HC motion themselves have acknowledged that a load resistor needs to be added to fool the ECU into thinking the correct current is being drawn. 

Are they conventional bulbs on the IS250 Ahmed as the circuit diagram shows LED clusters?

377D601F-ECB3-4747-B6F9-BC19F67A0540.png

4 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Are they conventional bulbs on the IS250 Ahmed as the circuit diagram shows LED clusters?

377D601F-ECB3-4747-B6F9-BC19F67A0540.png

I believe the stock OEM brakes are also LED but much higher power ones compared to the aftermarket ones. For these to trigger a brake circuit fault means the LEDs are not as high power. I have the vlands and either the vlands have inbuilt load resistors or higher power LEDs because the vlands don't have this issue

16 hours ago, JavierHG said:

I can confirm that this is now resolved by installing 2 resistors

Great to hear. How did you install the resistors? How did you wire them up? Will probably be helpful for others in the future to know.

44 minutes ago, james250 said:

Great to hear. How did you install the resistors? How did you wire them up? Will probably be helpful for others in the future to know.

Another member of the forum has done it for me adding one resistor to each break light harness

• 1 year later...
On 11/15/2021 at 1:40 PM, JavierHG said:

Another member of the forum has done it for me adding one resistor to each break light harness

Have you a picture or a detailed description to where the resistors should be wired? I got the same problem... I am getting engine light+stability control and the front turning signal stopped working. This week I am installing a adjustable relay to the front turning lights system and LED bulbs in the entire front headlights system... Then the resistor on the rear HCmotion tail lights. I do everything myself you can follow my project on: @ is250_Sage 

I will just have to know where do these resistors have to be specially added 🤔

6 hours ago, is250_sage said:

Have you a picture or a detailed description to where the resistors should be wired? I got the same problem... I am getting engine light+stability control and the front turning signal stopped working. This week I am installing a adjustable relay to the front turning lights system and LED bulbs in the entire front headlights system... Then the resistor on the rear HCmotion tail lights. I do everything myself you can follow my project on: @ is250_Sage 

I will just have to know where do these resistors have to be specially added 🤔

Answering or adding to my question.  For V1 HCmotion Tail lights 

IMG_20230913_034312_636.jpg

IMG_20230913_034309_432.jpg