Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just sold the 1994 Celsior to a nice guy from Surrey after a thorough inspection and a decent test drive.

Just got a phone call from him to say he had broken down on the M25 60 miles to go as the serpentine belt had broken due to a seized idler pulley!

I feel so bad about this especially with my meticulous maintenance regime, the idler, tensioner and belt were checked by myself only a few months ago when I replaced the thermostat.

Fifteen years I owned that car and apart from a broken rear spring and a flat Battery (both at the airport) it has never failed me.

I’ve even been in “the shed” and found a new pulley bearing and belt but the car is a hundred or so miles away now, worse still he has no recovery cover, I do but have to be with the car.

I feel really bad about this.

• Sad 4

In front of you there John, the belt and idler are around £65.00 so I’ve text him and offered a £200.00 refund to cover the parts and inconvenience.

I just wish it had happened before I sold it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You certainly stepped up, I hope he appreciates how bad you feel about it. These things happen, especially when there's reduced or no use. Didn't you start a thread on this today Steve?

Edit: nope sorry it was Malc, apparently this answers that thread

• Like 1

It made it to it’s new home!

A bit of clever ingenuity with some cable ties from the crank pulley to the alternator ( Yes John we used ladies tights in our day) and some serious arm muscles on the steering got it there.

Sent him the links to the parts needed which are now on order and the dosh.

A very understanding guy so feeling a little better now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, peniole said:

You certainly stepped up, I hope he appreciates how bad you feel about it. These things happen, especially when there's reduced or no use. Didn't you start a thread on this today Steve?

Yep, new thread 45 minutes ago.

25 year old Lexus LS400  breaks down and leaves driver almost stranded ....I’m ringing Lexus UK in the morning and those people at that JD reliability survey to complain.If I knew this was going to happen 15 years ago I wouldn’t have bought it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I am new said owner, and I cant say thankyou enough to steve2006 for the help he provided and also the compensation!!! Talk about a nice guy, completely unnecessary! These things happen i just wanted to use his superior knowledge to make sure I wasn't going to ruin something bodging it up for the final miles home.

Thank you again.

And thank you to giant cable ties made a bit of a racket but got me home and still didn't break. Parts ordered thanks again to steve2006 for giving me all necessary information.

• Like 12

Parts do wear out. We put $4500 to date into our 1993 LS400 purchased in 2007 --which had 140,000 miles on it... We have gotten our money's worth from the car.  Mileage now only at 184000. Needs an alternator and repair to dash electrical system...gauges go on& off.(?)

Estimate at $1500. We may be at a crossroads? Cars age. But we sure LOVE this one!!❤😍🙁😁😥😪

• Like 3

9 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Yep, new thread 45 minutes ago.

25 year old Lexus LS400  breaks down and leaves driver almost stranded ....I’m ringing Lexus UK in the morning and those people at that JD reliability survey to complain.If I knew this was going to happen 15 years ago I wouldn’t have bought it.

It's shocking isn't it. You would not get that with the German competition, would you. Oh wait a moment....

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cels1or said:

I am new said owner, and I cant say thankyou enough to steve2006 for the help he provided and also the compensation!!!

Welcome aboard Aaron :thumbup:
Hopefully that will be the last thing to fail for a while.

Good morning Aaron, welcome to the LOC and the world of Lexus unreliability sorry reliability.

Once you get that new pulley and belt on I’m confident that there will be no further issues so early in your ownership.

AS I mentioned the idler pulley bolt is conventional thread direction so anti-clockwise to loosen and remove.

The video below shows the belt fitting method.

well there we are ........  wot a disaster ....... motto Aaron..... .  use your beloved Ls400 as a main car for ever and a day and with proper servicing and maintenance these things will only ever happen every quarter century ..  oh it has ! ... well ok then ......  just maintain her as it should be and in 2026 this just might unexpectedly happen again ..  we've all had a couple of " appenings " over the years .......  have you seen the permanent thread here 

" Ls400, what catastrophic unknown failings "

Take note please and just beware theses odd things can happen .....  at least our cars are around long enough to need this sort of Post

unlike Beemers and Mercs and VWs and Audis where longevity like ours is often far from assured :yahoo:

Best wishes Aaron and welcome to the Club, may your miles be long and comfy, reliable and safe and your steed in 25 years time be as valuable as it is today:thumbsup:

Malc

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Good morning Aaron, welcome to the LOC and the world of Lexus unreliability sorry reliability.

Once you get that new pulley and belt on I’m confident that there will be no further issues so early in your ownership.

AS I mentioned the idler pulley bolt is conventional thread direction so anti-clockwise to loosen and remove.

The video below shows the belt fitting method.

Thank you, shouldn't be too crazy to do atleast it wasn't something that couldn't be "bodged" for the rest of the journey. Unfortunately it has left a bit of rubber all over your immaculate engine bay!!

16 minutes ago, Malc said:

well there we are ........  wot a disaster ....... motto Aaron..... .  use your beloved Ls400 as a main car for ever and a day and with proper servicing and maintenance these things will only ever happen every quarter century ..  oh it has ! ... well ok then ......  just maintain her as it should be and in 2026 this just might unexpectedly happen again ..  we've all had a couple of " appenings " over the years .......  have you seen the permanent thread here 

" Ls400, what catastrophic unknown failings "

Take note please and just beware theses odd things can happen .....  at least our cars are around long enough to need this sort of Post

unlike Beemers and Mercs and VWs and Audis where longevity like ours is often far from assured :yahoo:

Best wishes Aaron and welcome to the Club, may your miles be long and comfy, reliable and safe and your steed in 25 years time be as valuable as it is today:thumbsup:

Malc

I certainly wouldn't count this as too catastrophic really, (Not compared to some of the vehicles I have owned) One pulley and a belt. These things happen i shall have to show you a picture of the bearing when I get it off I haven't seen one quite go like that literally locked into place.

Aaron

• Like 1

all is well that ends well.

I'm a bit confused how you used a zip tie as a temporary fix??

My brother has a similar probem with his bmw a few years back - one of the pulleys seized shredding the belt - had to be rescued by AA

spacer.png

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

all is well that ends well.

I'm a bit confused how you used a zip tie as a temporary fix??

My brother has a similar probem with his bmw a few years back - one of the pulleys seized shredding the belt - had to be rescued by AA

Usually I would use a shoe lace or bit of rope something with a bit of give. But it just so happened I had some 5/8" cable ties in the back of the van. Managed to just cable tie from the crank pulley to the altenator with enough force to keep the altenator spinning. I shall attempt to upload a photo not that you can see much.

Edited by Cels1or
Added photo
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Cels1or said:

spacer.png

Usually I would use a shoe lace or bit of rope something with a bit of give. But it just so happened I had some 5/8" cable ties in the back of the van. Managed to just cable tie from the crank pulley to the altenator with enough force to keep the altenator spinning. I shall attempt to upload a photo not that you can see much.

Proper McGuyver stuff there - well done Sir! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cels1or said:

spacer.png

Wow! - I would never believe that would hold up - great little trick

• Like 1

19 hours ago, steve2006 said:

In front of you there John, the belt and idler are around £65.00 so I’ve text him and offered a £200.00 refund to cover the parts and inconvenience.

I just wish it had happened before I sold it!

It`s Sod`s Law again. You responded well Steve, so let`s hope that he responds in the spirit with which you made the offer.

27 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

It`s Sod`s Law again. You responded well Steve, so let`s hope that he responds in the spirit with which you made the offer.

Ah, I`ve been out all day and have just read the entire Thread.

Welcome Aaron. Good to have you with us and the spirit of your response is typical Lexus old school.

We look forward to your future Postings

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Ah, I`ve been out all day and have just read the entire Thread.

Welcome Aaron. Good to have you with us and the spirit of your response is typical Lexus old school.

We look forward to your future Postings

Thank you

You all seem to be a brilliant group of guys so far, and a wealth of knowledge on this forum quite glad I joined!

Hopefully once I get it going again I can take her for a real spin during the light this time.

• Like 3

all set-up for another 25 years then :thumbsup:

Malc

mine's in tomorrow for it's annual service and MOT all on Wednesday .  I'll report back on progress

I've asked him specifically to check for your issue .  he said he's only ever known it twice in his experience 

Just now, Malc said:

all set-up for another 25 years then :thumbsup:

Malc

mine's in tomorrow for it's annual service and MOT all on Wednesday .  I'll report back on progress

I've asked him specifically to check for your issue .  he said he's only ever known it twice in his experience 

Fingers crossed got another couple of little niggles to look into, nothing major.

Managed to take it out on a good 25 mile run so far all seems well!

I'm sure yours shall fly through on Wednesday 🤞

Aaron.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Great news,I used to spray all the accessible nuts and bolts in the engine bay with WD40 to stop them rusting and seizing.

What are the other niggles you need to sort ?

Little blow on the exhaust, and a bush/wheel bearing/track rod end or something on the passenger front wheel it has play havent got round to chucking it in the air. Its a second hand car I expected much more than this! Its very very clean! I just go too far restoring my old cars.

Not complaining at all! Please done take it that way!

Aaron

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links