Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Non Nav version to Nav+ Grom Vline VL2, cables needed?

molequles

Can I swap a Non-nav unit to an OEM nav unit and plug in a Vline vl2 or will I need additional cables, harness or solder something?

I've checked forums and FAQ's everywhere, can't find anyone who has done it from a non-nav, only NAV.

I got a used Navigation unit from eBay, and would like to fit it to my Lexus IS250 together with a Vline to get apple carplay.

Starting to lose hope, but would appreciate it if anyone who successfully has done the swap can give me some pointers before I start disassembling my interior.

42 minutes ago, Herbie said:

According to http://gromaudio.co.uk they do a Vline for both Nav and Non-Nav IS cars but only from model year 2010 with nothing for a 2006 model, so what you've bought may not work at all anyway.

They don't have any units for non-navs from what I can tell in their configurator, I've spoken directly to them as well and told them about the swap, didn't seem like an issue, granted I can get the head unit to work.

The issue is - can a Non-nav car supply power and get the display functional without additional wiring harnesses?

All OEM Lexus ISX models use basically the same monitor from 06-13, but what I am not so sure about is if it's just plug and play (since I'm not going to use the factory navigation or mics or anything, just want to see that I have a monitor up and running so I can order the Vline)

1 hour ago, molequles said:

They don't have any units for non-navs from what I can tell in their configurator, I've spoken directly to them as well and told them about the swap, didn't seem like an issue, granted I can get the head unit to work.

Sorry, yes, you're right. It let me select a non-nav but then returned something other than a Vline.

1 hour ago, molequles said:

The issue is - can a Non-nav car supply power and get the display functional without additional wiring harnesses?

I can't imagine that many people have tried to do this so you may be the pioneer, going boldly where no man has gone before :yes:

You've already got the replacement so I would suggest that the best thing is to take out your existing unit and compare the connectors on the back. If they match, try it. I'm guessing that most of the wires will be signalling lines so there shouldn't be any chance of blowing anything apart.

NB: I'm no expert and I take no responsibility if you decide to try it and something goes wrong. You do it at your own risk  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

I remember reading something on this possibly on the US forum. It's possible but not a straight swap. You may be better of with an aftermarket unit - think that there are some that look very similar to the oem one but run on andorid - like this one

I've got a 2010 F Sport with a GROM VLINE LEX6 and only after some major back and forth with GROM were we able to get it fully working. In terms of your situation, you'd be much better off getting an Android Unit such as this to replace the screen unit to get a full android experience. Its quite difficult to convert from Non NAVI to NAVI and even then you may not get everything fully working such as reverse cameras or climate control.  The downside of android is the AC controls can be hit or miss but I believe these units come with a UK compatible CANBUS so it should work fine, you will lose some audio fidelity compared to the OEM Pioneer but getting an android unit with a good DSP can help mitigate this. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001184644967.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2a0d27fdrKO3dr&algo_pvid=1a4097d7-0593-4566-a3c2-12c3f28f1c43&algo_exp_id=1a4097d7-0593-4566-a3c2-12c3f28f1c43-19&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000016808205714"}

On 11/15/2021 at 9:33 PM, McShmoopy said:

I've got a 2010 F Sport with a GROM VLINE LEX6 and only after some major back and forth with GROM were we able to get it fully working. In terms of your situation, you'd be much better off getting an Android Unit such as this to replace the screen unit to get a full android experience. Its quite difficult to convert from Non NAVI to NAVI and even then you may not get everything fully working such as reverse cameras or climate control.  The downside of android is the AC controls can be hit or miss but I believe these units come with a UK compatible CANBUS so it should work fine, you will lose some audio fidelity compared to the OEM Pioneer but getting an android unit with a good DSP can help mitigate this. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001184644967.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2a0d27fdrKO3dr&algo_pvid=1a4097d7-0593-4566-a3c2-12c3f28f1c43&algo_exp_id=1a4097d7-0593-4566-a3c2-12c3f28f1c43-19&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000016808205714"}

Hmm, yeah you’re probably right. 
I gave up on the navi conversion and ordered an android version as you suggested, I made sure it seemed to have the same climate functionality and just hope the audio won’t be an issue. It’s probably ok after some fiddling in the settings!

thanks for the advice and for saving me a couple $$!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, molequles said:

Hmm, yeah you’re probably right. 
I gave up on the navi conversion and ordered an android version as you suggested, I made sure it seemed to have the same climate functionality and just hope the audio won’t be an issue. It’s probably ok after some fiddling in the settings!

thanks for the advice and for saving me a couple $$!

No worries mate let us know how you get on!