Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Lexus is250

Spark plug

Hi Ian and welcome to Lexus ownership and with one of the best cars they've made. Browse the forum as there's a thread which will answer all your questions. 

The basics you could check yourself without getting under the car:

• wiper blades - make sure when spraying washer fluid that it clears the windscreen (make sure washer fluid is topped up too)
  • Check windscreen washer nozzles - often if washer fluid isn't used enough the nozzles can get clogged with dirt.
  • Headlight washer jets - if you have Xenon lights, make sure headlight washer jets are spraying
  • brake fluid - check level and condition, make sure colour is closer to clear not dark
  • check all the lights - parking lights, indicators, main beams, high beams, brake lights, fog lights, numberplate lights
  • check number plates aren't damaged and are within legal specs
  • make sure no check engine light or errors on the dashboard
  • check tyre tread and pressure and inspect for any tears or screws or nails
  • check seat belts
  • check horn is functional
  • inspect windscreen for any damage to the drivers area

if you can look under the car:

• inspect the suspension components like tie rods and the rubber boots to make sure there aren't any tears on the rubber dust boots
  • check exhaust for any holes/leaks (although most of the time holes will manifest itself in the form of a loud droning sound)
  • make sure no loose or dangling components like exhaust etc.

Those are some of the things that come to mind quickly that I usually do before an MOT

• Like 1

Tyres are one of the most common failure points on MOT tests, but also one of the easiest to sort out! A good inspection could eliminate this beforehand.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all that. Had to get the pipes between the cats replaced on both sides as they were very rusted and in holes. I'm in the process of replacing all the struts as they are very rusty and the front brake discs and pads. Rear brakes are ok. I can't see anything else so hopefully she will pass mot 

On 11/22/2021 at 3:18 PM, Spark plug said:

Thanks everyone for all that. Had to get the pipes between the cats replaced on both sides as they were very rusted and in holes. I'm in the process of replacing all the struts as they are very rusty and the front brake discs and pads. Rear brakes are ok. I can't see anything else so hopefully she will pass mot 

Update.. She failed mot today on driver side  handbrake. I thought it would automatically adjust. So must be sticking or else has manual adjustment.

On 11/28/2021 at 4:38 PM, Mr Vlad said:

That's a shame Ian. This will be a good time to service the rear brake calipers and Handbrake mechanism. 

Got new shoes they are down to metal on driver side 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 5:39 PM, Spark plug said:

Got new shoes they are down to metal on driver side 

Update. She passed mot parking brake a lot better since I fitted new shoes and adjusted up cable. Only need to push it half way down for it to hold. It went to the floor before and didn't hold very well.

Hi Ian. Look on YouTube as there are a number of videos showing how to do a partially drain and refill and how to check the level. Basically under the gearbox housing there are 2 what look like drain plugs. One is drain the other is level. I forget which is which.

Why are you wanting to check the level?

On 12/13/2021 at 4:46 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Ian. Look on YouTube as there are a number of videos showing how to do a partially drain and refill and how to check the level. Basically under the gearbox housing there are 2 what look like drain plugs. One is drain the other is level. I forget which is which.

Why are you wanting to check the level?

As she is 15years old now and no history of the oil being changed. I would like to change it and would need to know how to check the level when refilling it up so I know it's at the correct level 

So your car is 15 years old and with only 76k miles I wouldn't be overly concerned about the gearbox oil.

Browse the forum on this subject as there are a good few threads about the pros and cons of doing a oil service. 

Just know not All the oil will come out as you'd expect. At best just under 2 litres which is about 1/4 volume. 

Like I've said look on YouTube and browse this forum in the gen 2 is section.

19 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

So your car is 15 years old and with only 76k miles I wouldn't be overly concerned about the gearbox oil.

Browse the forum on this subject as there are a good few threads about the pros and cons of doing a oil service. 

Just know not All the oil will come out as you'd expect. At best just under 2 litres which is about 1/4 volume. 

Like I've said look on YouTube and browse this forum in the gen 2 is section.

Thanks for the advice